Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Luke 9: 62

Ok, got another topic I'd like to get some input on. I was recently called to preach, 6 months ago. I struggled with the call, quite a bit actually. Honestly, I didn't feel worthy, wasn't sure he had called me, and didn't really want to. I was scared/fearful. I even began to think I wasn't called at all and was considering quitting even and not preaching. Well, I have peace with it now. I couldn't quit, impossible. I'm beginning to get the feeling of it being an honor and actually want to preach, etc. Anyway, I was sharing my feelings (which I finally figured-out I can't trust anyway) with this "person". He kept quoting me Luke 9: 62. When I said things about being unsure and wanting to quit, he quoted that scripture and basically said, "It's too late now, you've already announced it in church, you can't quit now." Well, by the Grace of God the Lord is guiding me through this and I praise his name that he would use someone like me to share the Gospel. Sorry for ramblin on, here's the question: Is the Lord saying in Luke 9: 62 that if a man (in our Church Age) begins to labor in the Lord (in any calling, be it preaching, teaching, etc.) and quits, then he is not "fit" to be saved or will not be saved at all? I am fully persuaded that answer is NO! However, I would like to discuss why some of you agree or disagree with me or this "person." God Bless!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb6445 View Post
Ok, got another topic I'd like to get some input on. I was recently called to preach, 6 months ago. I struggled with the call, quite a bit actually. Honestly, I didn't feel worthy, wasn't sure he had called me, and didn't really want to. I was scared/fearful. I even began to think I wasn't called at all and was considering quitting even and not preaching. Well, I have peace with it now. I couldn't quit, impossible. I'm beginning to get the feeling of it being an honor and actually want to preach, etc. Anyway, I was sharing my feelings (which I finally figured-out I can't trust anyway) with this "person". He kept quoting me Luke 9: 62. When I said things about being unsure and wanting to quit, he quoted that scripture and basically said, "It's too late now, you've already announced it in church, you can't quit now." Well, by the Grace of God the Lord is guiding me through this and I praise his name that he would use someone like me to share the Gospel. Sorry for ramblin on, here's the question: Is the Lord saying in Luke 9: 62 that if a man (in our Church Age) begins to labor in the Lord (in any calling, be it preaching, teaching, etc.) and quits, then he is not "fit" to be saved or will not be saved at all? I am fully persuaded that answer is NO! However, I would like to discuss why some of you agree or disagree with me or this "person." God Bless!
Clint, please have this man join this forum, I want to ask him why:

1. He is quoting OLD TESTAMENT doctrine. Jesus has not been crucified yet.
2. He trying to make gospel of the kingdom of heaven(the restoration of Israel) Church doctrine for today?
3. He thinks someone died and made him the Holy Spirit.

Questions for you and a little bible study: Colossians say you, Clint, no matter what you do, you are what in who?

Romans 8 says, who can separate you from the what of who?

Ephesians says you "are" seated where with who

Nothing makes me angrier than some self-appointed Holy Ghost who glories in the circumcision of others, who make it a ministry in discouraging people. Sometimes I think it's true what they say, yes, Neanderthals did survive into modern times.

grace and peace to you brother, hold fast.

Tony
Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Nothing makes me angrier than some self-appointed Holy Ghost who glories in the circumcision of others, who make it a ministry in discouraging people. Sometimes I think it's true what they say, yes, Neanderthals did survive into modern times.
I will second that!

Point this man to

Romans 14:1-10 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

One of the prominent jobs within the body of Christ asides from preaching to the lost, is the edification of the brethren, when a man may struggle with faith, and EVERY man will, the brethren, his brothers are to encourage through Gods words, NOT discourage through scripture wrongly divided. I agree with Bro Tony that this man has made himself the Holy Ghost. When Paul wrote to Timothy he gave him some good advice regarding those that would ask him questions out of context, from the law, Jewish fables and anything that was not true or unprofitable

1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Brother if a man goes into service for the Lord (Preaching as an example)
and that man of course who at first will be born again, backslides (God forbid) that having started as a preacher feels he can no longer fulfill the role, because of desires in the world or weakened flesh or any "appearance of evil" there may be in his life that causes doubt to be cast on his "ability" to be a preacher, NOT that he was never saved in the first place or will lose his salvation, It means that he it not FIT for service in the role of a Pastor / Teacher / evangelist.

Don't be discouraged by any man that cant (or wont) put scripture in context or rightly divide. But at the same time Brother realise that when we get saved, the world looks at us in our every move to see how we live, act and behave in the world, and even more so when a position of Pastor / Teacher / evangelist is taken up, for then not only are the world watching, but so are our Brethren, and sadly many are like your friend here who will try and cut you down and discourage as Brother Bones stated....Hold fast

Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 AM

reminds me a little of myself when we first came here I did everything I could not to be the Pastor. god kept working on situation after another until I did what he wanted me to do.

Now may Gods will continue to be done in this ministry.

Hang in there Clint and don't let cynics get you down. God will prove your calling and if you are in the wrong place he will let you know and you will know what to do or not to do. Men can prove to be a hindrance sometimes
Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Default Amen

Wow, I really appreciate the time you men took to respond (encourage) me. I totally agree. I hate to see anybody take God's word out of context and try to apply it to fit their personal "beliefs." I thank you for rightly dividing The Word to help encourage me. God Bless!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM

I have no idea whether I have been called to preach. A few years back, after hearing Pastor Tim Cruse give a message, I went down the front and prayed and spoke with God about service and announced it on the bus on the way back. Laughingly, a pastor told me the first thing I needed to do was learn greek and hebrew. Unfortunately, I ended up running from God, not obviously, but inside, I was far away from a long time, even though I was still at church.

However, I am now really growing I think. I am starting to look and study out positional truths from old dispensationalists.

While they are not King James men, Scofield, Darby, Nelson, Chafer and Stanford and to a lesser extent, Watchman Nee, have some beautiful writing on the believers position in Christ, and how to live and overcome sin, not by living life under the pattern of the law, as covenant theologians insist upon, but by God's grace, and reckoning ourselves dead to sin.

Hopefully God will still use me. I want to be used, I am waiting, resting in Him, "sitting" as Nee would say, just trusting and recieving the blessings that He wants to give, rather than trying to work for them as I have been doing so the last few years.

I'm not even sure what I wrote is relevant to this thread..

I started writing a little piece last night called "The Destruction of Grace and the Lawdship Gospel's failure to Bring Holiness" - Yes, Lawdship is spelt incorrectly on purpose. I think it's quite clever haha.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Default Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I have no idea whether I have been called to preach. A few years back, after hearing Pastor Tim Cruse give a message, I went down the front and prayed and spoke with God about service and announced it on the bus on the way back.

Hopefully God will still use me. I want to be used, I am waiting, resting in Him, "sitting" as Nee would say, just trusting and recieving the blessings that He wants to give, rather than trying to work for them as I have been doing so the last few years.

No worries, brother, I will be praying for you. The Lord will make things clear to you (right on time, too). He's never early or late, he will lead you to where he wants you to be if you let him (on his schedule). I will pray for you! God Bless!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I have no idea whether I have been called to preach. A few years back, after hearing Pastor Tim Cruse give a message, I went down the front and prayed and spoke with God about service and announced it on the bus on the way back. Laughingly, a pastor told me the first thing I needed to do was learn greek and hebrew. Unfortunately, I ended up running from God, not obviously, but inside, I was far away from a long time, even though I was still at church.

However, I am now really growing I think. I am starting to look and study out positional truths from old dispensationalists.

While they are not King James men, Scofield, Darby, Nelson, Chafer and Stanford and to a lesser extent, Watchman Nee, have some beautiful writing on the believers position in Christ, and how to live and overcome sin, not by living life under the pattern of the law, as covenant theologians insist upon, but by God's grace, and reckoning ourselves dead to sin.

I started writing a little piece last night called "The Destruction of Grace and the Lawdship Gospel's failure to Bring Holiness" - Yes, Lawdship is spelt incorrectly on purpose. I think it's quite clever haha.
Luke, I like that title

I think, yes, you need to know greek and hebrew.

if you are going to be a missionary to Greece and Israel.

Luke, I said this to a friend today. Sometimes we get away from the old paths, we exile ourselves from God, from our family, from the world around us even, for whatever reasons we may have, I think we all have a 40 days in the wilderness, a time in the belly of the great fish, a time in the lion's den.

I think these times are for a reason, though I don;t believe in fate, Kismet, absolute predestination, it just happens to us sometimes. I never heard you speak, but I feel you are a good communicator, your artwork on that poster was fabulous, and I'd love to read your writing sometime.

Grace and peace to you my friend and I'm looking forward to your future messages on what you found with the old time dispensationalists.

Tony