Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
Also, as for quoting a commentary, I have to admit I don't use or read commentaries very much. When they are quoted on this forum, I don't read them at all. No offense.
I have learned much from reading commentaries from authors I have found Biblically sound. I only quote those that back up their comments with scripture.

You may be doing yourself a dis-service by keeping to that strict rule of not reading commentaries.

I have found that there are commentators that have studied the Bible as a whole much more extensively than I have and I can learn from them. But I can see why you would not want to read commentaries re: tongues.

Here's a great example of a commentary you most likely would not appreciate even though it has scripture reference to back up every point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia

TONGUES SPEAKING
The modern Pentecostal movement, from its inception at the turn of the century, has emphasized the belief that all of the spiritual gifts mentioned in the N.T. are to be exercised today. One of the gifts frequently exalted in the Pentecostal movement is the gift of tongues. In fact, the Pentecostal movement is often called "the tongues movement" because of this emphasis. There are five common errors promoted by the Pentecostal movement pertaining to tongues. Not all Pentecostal churches promote all of these errors, but these are very commonly held.

ERROR # 1: TONGUES SPEAKING IS A PRIMARY EVIDENCE OF HOLY SPIRIT FILLING.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES:

(1) In the book of Acts there are many mentions of Christians being filled with the Spirit, but only one time is tongues speaking mentioned. It is ridiculous, then, to try to make tongues speaking the primary evidence of Holy Spirit filling. A survey of Acts shows the following evidences present when believers were filled with the Spirit: Preaching in foreign languages (Ac 2:4-11). Witnessing of Christ with boldness (Ac 4:8-12,31-33). Willingness to serve God's people (Ac 6:3-5). Christ-like attitude toward's one's enemies (Ac 7:55-60). Readiness to obey God (Ac 9:17-20). Winning men to Christ (Ac 11:24). Resisting false teachers (Ac 13:8-10). Joy in the Lord (Ac 13:52). (2) The evidence of the filling of the Holy Spirit in Ephesians 5-6 does not mention tongues at all. The marks of Spirit filling are said to be spiritual relationships (Eph 5:19,21-33; 6:1-9), worship (Eph 5:19), resisting Satan (Eph 6:11-18), and an effective prayer life (Eph 5:18-20). To connect spiritual gifts with Spirit filling is unscriptural. (3) 1Co 12:13 says all have been baptized by the Holy Spirit but the same chapter says not all speak in tongues (1Co 12:30).

ERROR # 2: TONGUES SPEAKING IS FOR EVERY CHRISTIAN.

In most Pentecostal groups every Christian is encouraged to speak in tongues. The pressure to do this varies from group to group, but tongues speaking is definitely upheld as something desirable and important for the Christian life.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES:

The N.T. says that different gifts are given to different Christians, and no one gift is given to every believer. Paul plainly taught that not every Christian spoke in tongues even in the first century (1Co 12:4,7-12,28-30).

ERROR # 3: TONGUES SHOULD BE SOUGHT BY THE CHRISTIAN.

Though there are exceptions, most Pentecostal churches teach that the Christian should seek to speak in tongues. In fact, the pressure to do so can be intense. Countless books have been written purporting to teach people how to speak in tongues.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES:

(1) Paul told the Corinthian believers that they should covet the "best gifts" (1Co 12:31). He listed the gifts in order of importance in verses 28-30 and tongues was at the bottom! It is strange that a gift which the Apostles considered the lest important has become so exalted in the modern Pentecostal movement. (2) The disciples did not seek to speak in tongues. In every instance in which Christians spoke in tongues in the N.T. the tongues were sovereignly given. In no instance were the recipients trying to speak in tongues. (3) The Bible never tells the Christian to seek to speak in tongues. Not once is there such instruction given by the Apostles. (4) There is no instruction in the Bible about HOW to speak in tongues. If tongues speaking was important for the Christian life and if it was a good thing for every Christian to speak in tongues, surely God would have plainly instructed us in how to do such a thing! (5) The Pentecostal/Charismatic method of speaking in tongues is unscriptural and dangerous. When a person accepts the idea that tongues speaking is a needed and helpful thing for the spiritual life, he then asks how tongues can be received. The Pentecostal and Charismatic preacher instructs such a one simply to open his mouth and start muttering words but without using normal language. God is supposed to take control of the tongue. There is not a hint of such a practice in the N.T. The Bible warns Christians that there are deceiving spirits which attempt to influence Christians and that can appear as angels of light and ministers of God (2Co 11:13-15; Mt 24:24). Paul warned the Corinthians that they were in danger of receiving false spirits because of their carnal, undiscerning condition (2Co 11:3-4). The Christian cannot be possessed by evil spirits, but we can certainly be influenced by them. Thus the Bible warns us to be sober and vigilant (1Pe 4:7; 5:8).

ERROR # 4: TONGUES IS A HEAVENLY PRAYER LANGUAGE.

When it is noted by outsiders that the modern tongues spoken commonly in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles is not a known earthly language, it is replied that they are speaking in a heavenly prayer language.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES:

The tongues spoken in the early churches were real earthly languages (Ac 2:6-10). According to 1Co 14:2, tongues speaking was the giving forth of mysteries, which refers to revelation. The term "mysteries" in the N.T. refers to things that were hidden in O.T. times but are now brought to light (Ro 16:25-26; 1Co 2:7,10; Eph 3:3-5; Col 1:26). This is what we see on the day of Pentecost. Those that heard the disciples speak in tongues on that day said, "we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God" (Ac 2:11). Biblical tongues were languages, not some sort of unintelligible mutters.

ERROR # 5: TONGUES IS FOR PERSONAL EDIFICATION.

Tongues speaking in the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement is said to be something the Christian can do privately to edify himself.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES:

God plainly tells us the purpose for tongues. It was to give a sign to the nation Israel regarding the fact that God was doing this new thing in starting the church (1Co 14:20-22). Paul tells us that tongues was a fulfillment of the prophecy in Isa 28:11-12.

In conclusion, the following are the reasons why I know that modern tongues are not biblical tongues:

1. Biblical tongues were a sign to Israel regarding the founding of the church and ceased when the foundation of the church was completed (1Co 13:8-9; 14:20-22; Eph 2:20).

2. Biblical tongues were bound by apostolic direction (no women speaking, by course, interpretation, no confusion, etc.) (1Co 14:1-40). The practice of "tongues" in modern times is not restrained in this way.

3. Biblical tongues were real earthly languages (Ac 2:6-10).

4. Biblical tongues were revelatory messages (1Co 14:2; 2:7,10; Eph 3:3-5).

5. Biblical tongues were not sought but were sovereignly given by God (1Co 12:11).

6. Biblical tongues were the least important spiritual gift (1Co 12:28-30).

7. Biblical tongues were not spoken by all Christians (1Co 12:30).

8. Biblical tongues were not received in a passive state (1Pe 5:8).
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 PM

You've about persuaded me. Not about speaking in tongues, but to purchase The Way of Life Encyclopedia .

Having been involved in Pentecostalism I can testify to so much of what the encyclopedia says about tongues speaking.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Revangelist

The Bible sure sheds a lot of light on the commentaries. A dictionary (1828 Websters for example) is something I find useful. I've studied the Bible since 1973 and found many commentaries kind of dry reading. I have used them. Matthew Henry is my favourite. Others I have read tried to change the meaning of what my Bible said by using the "original word" Bible correcting technique which turns me completely off.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Revangelist

Beth, please don't take this as a criticism off how you do your personal Bible studies. I'm only speaking for myself.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Pastor Mikie

Except for the sarcasm, I agree with Revangelist. I might also add that it is futile to continue to try and persuade us to believe as you do. I don't see it happening. Keep this in mind, too: Pentecostals aren't your enemies. We are on your side -

Mark 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Beth

Quote:
Except for the sarcasm, I agree with Revangelist. I might also add that it is futile to continue to try and persuade us to believe as you do. I don't see it happening. Keep this in mind, too: Pentecostals aren't your enemies. We are on your side -

Mark 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.
I've never considered you an enemy, simply pointing out Biblical truth. You have made your mind up and won't even hear the word of God on this issue. That's up to you, but that won't stop me from defending the truth of God's Word.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
You've about persuaded me. Not about speaking in tongues, but to purchase The Way of Life Encyclopedia .

Having been involved in Pentecostalism I can testify to so much of what the encyclopedia says about tongues speaking.
You will love the Way of Life Encyclopedia! It goes great with SwordSearcher.

I have found that in almost every topic that I'm confused on I can find the answer with this software. The Way of Life Encyclopedia will take a topic and then point out everywhere through out the Bible where this topic is mentioned. It's a great way to learn by taking the Bible as a whole.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Revangelist

Beth, I can say ditto to you, since I believe I'm pointing out Biblical truth. We just happen to disagree on interpreting it. I will continue to point out error. I'm hearing (and reading) God's Word and believe I'm believing correctly.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Beth

Quote:

You can disagree with that all you like to. But, you won't be able to change my mind, any more than you can talk me out of my marriage. It is something I've experienced, and checked-out with the Scriptures and found them valid. We all have experiences in life. We all have feelings. For me personally, I try not to operate by feelings, and I don't make Biblical decisions based on experiences. But my experience does add-up Biblically. Also, as for quoting a commentary, I have to admit I don't use or read commentaries very much. When they are quoted on this forum, I don't read them at all. No offense.
Please take this in Christian love.

I don't doubt at all that you have had this experience. You say you have compared this experience to the Bible, although, what you explain as your tongues experience does not compare to the Biblical examples. The Bible clearly explains that people were able to understand what others that spoke different languages were saying in their own tongue. No where in scripture does it describe the tongues we hear today or the tongues you have explained as your experience. The tongues you speak of are easy to imitate and from what I hear from many that have come out of the Pentecostal movement, there is much pressure to imitate these babblings. It is nonsense when heard by others. Our God is not a God of confusion.

If I heard Biblical tongues today, I would hear a language that I didn't understand, (an unknown language) but there would be someone there that would be able to interpret what the person was saying. I would not hear strange babblings repeated over and over again, I would recognize it as a foreign language although not understand what the person was saying. Or I would hear someone that spoke a different language, speak in my language. I believe as the Bible says, that this was a sign for the Jews as prophesied in Isaiah and this miraculous gift is no longer available. We certainly don't see this miraculous gift today. What we see is a corrupted version of the gift.

So yes, we all have experiences. We must try the spirit of these experiences.

We are cautioned against seducing spirits. What do these Pentecostal teachers tell us about tongues. Some say it is a special gift for special Christians, (extreme piety). Some say only those with the gift have received a special (second) blessing. Isn't this teaching focused more on the individual and their specialness then for the furthering of the gospel of Christ and the edification in God's Word? Try, try, try the spirits.

Quote:
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Revangelist

Acts 2:1 ¶And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

They were in the upper room in a prayer meeting and spoke in tongues with out interpretation.

Acts 2:5 ¶And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Now, they are outdoors, out of the upper room and Jews from other nations heard in their own language.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

This is speaking to God directly.

1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 ¶What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Again Paul is praying and singing in tongues. His understanding is unfruitful. Only God understood him.

Last edited by Revangelist; 03-31-2008 at 02:07 PM.