Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM

Wingwiper's
Quote:
I would suggest maybe that the normal burial today vs. Jewish burial I referenced to (Old Testament) is just as heathen as cremation due to the fact we duplicate (in part) the Egyptians in regards to embalming, preserving the body into the afterlife. I'm sure there is someone that would disagree with that, but there's a big difference in wrapping a body in linen, putting it in the ground vs the process of burial today. Embalmed and preserved for what............? I'm sure the environmentalists or maybe someone here would argue that point.
07-18-2009 08:30 PM
You make an excellent point. This oughta teach you never to ask a question on this forum.

At least we stayed on topic.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Aloha brother George,

This verse comes to my mind:

Romans 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

The idea of being sacrificed.

Jen
For I wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren...

Paul is expressing the idea here of a substitutionary sacrifice, himself for his kinsmen according to the flesh. He knows full well it's not possible but is using hyperbole.

I think 1 Cor. 13:3 does mean something different from Rom 9:3.

1 Cor. 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

I think he's saying even if he (or any of us) gives everything he possesses including his body, for the furtherance of the gospel, if he does it by constraint, not in love, he has no reward.

Same idea as:

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

I could be wrong, just a thought.

A side note: Perhaps Paul had been shown by the Lord the manner of his death? I have no idea how Paul died.

Last edited by greenbear; 07-19-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
That's grim.
Jen,

I had to laugh at that. does it seem so grim? that was practiced by the Jews in the old days.

I often tell my wife and kids if I die just stuff me in an old rice sack and bury me in the back yard.

your body can actually go without formaldehyde for 3 days on the forth it begins to rot, depending on how it is kept. If it is exposed to the elements it wont last 3 days.

many laws are passed that you have to have your body preserved with formaldehyde. I guess it is the old movie I saw in 1974 when the woman wished her dead husband alive and when he did he was screaming in pain because his body had no blood only formaldehyde in it. Now that is grim
Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Given that we are three pages into this topic and nobody has produced a single verse clearly condemning cremation, perhaps we can come to an agreement that there is nothing Scriptural to be said of it one way or another, and we ought to let people do as they will without burdening them with guilt over something that God didn't bother to comment on in his Book.
Not to say it is the least expensive funeral compared to normal burial costs and plots.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Jen,

I had to laugh at that. does it seem so grim? that was practiced by the Jews in the old days.

I often tell my wife and kids if I die just stuff me in an old rice sack and bury me in the back yard.

your body can actually go without formaldehyde for 3 days on the forth it begins to rot, depending on how it is kept. If it is exposed to the elements it wont last 3 days.

many laws are passed that you have to have your body preserved with formaldehyde. I guess it is the old movie I saw in 1974 when the woman wished her dead husband alive and when he did he was screaming in pain because his body had no blood only formaldehyde in it. Now that is grim
Chette,

Cremation is sounding better and better. Or that rice bag.

Perhaps a Green Burial:http://greenburialcouncil.org/faq.php

Jen
Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Given that we are three pages into this topic and nobody has produced a single verse clearly condemning cremation, perhaps we can come to an agreement that there is nothing Scriptural to be said of it one way or another, and we ought to let people do as they will without burdening them with guilt over something that God didn't bother to comment on in his Book.
I thought my post kinda, in it's own humble way......said you guys are wasting your time discussing whether God really cares about where or how the corruptible is layed to rest. Like Brandon said...it's just NOT in the Bible.

But, whatever floats the boat, as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? ~ {1 Corinthians 15:54,55}

What a blessing to know that corruptible shall put on incorruption...no matter what state the dead have parished or how they're layed to rest...what matters is that death has no sting and the grave has no victory.

Lord...bring on that incorruption soon!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 AM

Default Cremation

If we are talking about a body that is to be buried in an honourable way – then what about the concubine, the reformers and those who’s bodies were never found or lost at sea?

Judges 19:29 “And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.”

I personally don’t think that our burial is all that important as there are some that haven’t even been buried such as William Tyndale and Jon Huss because of their faith.

Rv.20:13 “And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.”

1 Cor 15 makes it clear that whatever the case – V42 “So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:”

To be sown in corruption means sown into death not necessarily in a tomb. Whether we are burned, buried or lost at sea we will all be raised up on the last day when that trumpet will sound its blast!

God bless

PaulB
Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
What!? Please quote me where I said that.

Frankly I don't care what they would do. I am trying to give WingWiper things to consider in his search for "the" answer...if there is one.

I said and I quote "for me" I would not choose cremation.
Sister Amanda,

I apologize to you. I spoke very rashly, without thinking and zeroed in on one thing. It wasn't at all what you had intended or meant. Doing that was very out-of-character for me, and I think that most people here that know me would realize that was not the way that I have consistently responded here.

I seemed to be having a bad day! I'm sorry that I didn't think more and prayerfully contemplate before I responded.

That is why I have taken a break yesterday from posting.

Jassy
Old 07-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
for me I don't even want formaldehyde put in my body. Which gives them 3 days to bury me.
Then you better not drink milk (store bought- at least here in the US), get vaccinated or smoke cigarettes brother.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSolomon1611 View Post
Then you better not drink milk (store bought- at least here in the US), get vaccinated or smoke cigarettes brother.
Brother KingSolomon1611,

I noticed this post and, although it wasn't addressed to me, I found it interesting. This is why I buy my milk raw, directly from a farm, haven't had a vaccination in nearly 25 years, and DON'T smoke!

The time that I DID get vaccinated, for the flu - at the insistence of a doctor - it make me very ILL!! That was the last time I ever got vaccinated for anything. I've had doctors since then try to push me into getting innoculated, but I have steadfastly refused. I've had people all around me getting sick with the flu (and they'd been vaccinated!!) and I don't get sick. I've even CARED for some people while they've been very ill with the flu and I didn't get sick myself. I have gone for up to 8 years without getting sick from even so much as a common cold! The Lord blessed me with a very powerful immune system, which I am thankful for.

Jassy