Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblereader View Post
"Don't you agree that God was filled with wrath, when his people intermarried with non-Hebrews? God said NOT to marry anyone outside the faith.
It's all through the Old Testament. All through it. And, the penalties for disobeying God, by marrying someone NOT of their faith.
Same holds true today.
A Christian has very little in common with a non-Christian
."

Aloha biblereader,

You must remember "context" - you said: "Same holds true today." But the New Testament doesn't say that.

From 2 Corinthians Chapter 1:1 to 2 Corinthians 11:1 you can NOT find the words "husband", "husbands", "wife", "wives", "marry", "married", or "marriage". In other words the teaching (in context) of 2 Corinthians 6: 1-18 is NOT about marriage - although that is how most pastors "apply" it!

Read the verses:

2 Corinthians 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
11 O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.
12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.
13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

These verses are NOT talking about "marriage". In the context they are talking about doing THE WORK OF GOD! Verse 1 talks about WORKERS; Verse 3 is talking about the "MINISTRY"; verse 4 talks about MINISTERS OF GOD; Verses 4-10 are talking about the "MINISTRY"; and Verse 14 is speaking about being "UNEQUALLY YOKED" - as in hooking up a Horse and a Ox together (for "WORK") or harnessing a Horse and a Jackass together (for "WORK"). {My wife and I have been married for 48 years, we aren't "YOKED" TOGETHER - we are "JOINED" TOGETHER - Matthew 19:6 & Mark 10:9}

The verses are simply saying - when you go out to do the "WORK" OF GOD, do NOT get hooked up ("yoked") with UNBELIEVERS! The words husband, husbands, wife, wives, marry, married, or marriage, cannot be found for at least four Chapters of either side of Chapter 6. {You couldn't find a reference to "marriage" or a "husband" or "wife" if you had a 300,000 thousand candle power spotlight!}

Now, am I recommending that a Christian marry a lost person? Of course NOT! I always recommend that a Christian marry "in the Lord"; but if they have married "outside of the faith", there is NO "penalty" - it's NOT the "same" as in the Old Testament. And although I DO NOT RECOMMEND marrying a lost person, there is NO CONDEMNATION if you have. 2 Corinthians Chapter 6 does NOT "apply" to "marriage". In the "context" it is speaking about doing the "WORK" of God with UNBELIEVERS. (as Billy Graham has done for years!)

When I first became a Christian 50 years ago the divorce rate (in the U.S.A.) between "Christians" was about 20% lower than non-Christians. Today the divorce rate (in the U.S.A.) between "Christians" is ONLY ABOUT 5% LOWER than non-Christians; so marrying a "Christian" today is NOT a "guarantee" that everything is going to "work out fine".

We have to be careful about what we say about this issue. There are many Christian men and women who are married to a spouse that is "lost". And although they may have problems because of this disparity between them, there are NO "penalties", and there is NO CONDEMNATION!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM

My family is Scot-Irish, we are very fair skinned and light eyed. And my family is about as southern as you can get, if you know what I mean. My younger brother met his wife while stationed at Scofield Barracks in Hawaii. She is very dark skinned, dark eyed, and the first time I met her she had a huge Afro!

But I tell you, I am thankful for her, she is a wonderful girl and I love her to death. She is saved and trusts in the Lord Jesus. And that is my hope, because my younger brother is not saved. I recently visited and tried to speak to my brother about the Lord (have many times over the years), but he will not speak about it with me. But he listens to her. They have been married 30 years and have 5 wonderful children. So, she is my greatest hope that my brother will someday accept the Lord.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:48 PM

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Same holds true today. We are supposed to separate ourselves from those in darkness, from those who are unrighteous, from those who are idol worshippers.
Now, if a woman or man decides to marry, and become ONE, (sexual intercourse) with a spouse who is in darkness, lost, and not in fellowship with Jesus, and God, that person is doing the opposite of what God tells them to do. That's rebellion.
With rebellion there is a penalty, always, God set it up that way, so his dumb as sheep children would learn to do what HE says, and WHY we should mind Him.
This is pretty plain, God saying NOT to yoke yourself(2 oxen yoked together MUST pull together, eventually) with unbelievers.
If people think this verse does not apply to marriage, then what situations DOES it apply to?
Where else, what other relationship is so close, so PERSONAL, so GODLY, than marriage, and the intimate relationship that is to be found in a marriage?
Why would God say to not be in fellowship with unbelievers, but, say, on the other hand, HEY, it's ok to marry this bible hating atheist, and have sex with him, sure, go right ahead. No problem in MY eyes.
The same holds true today, is what I said, and that's why I said it.
Maybe every word I said just now wasn't picture perfect, and in my passion to get it out I might have slipped up on a couple of words, but really, Jassy, you know as well as I do that marriage to a lost man is a MISERABLE relationship. I don't think God had that in mind, when He talked about husbands and wives.
BTW, for the other person here, talking about marriage, the bible says NOTHING about wedding rings, or marriage licenses. But, we sure do think they're important, dont' we?

Man, I am tired. Time for rest. Love to you all who read this.
Peace, joy, and grow in the knowledge of God.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'll have to look it up and answer later. I just can't believe God would say, sure, it's ok for you to marry a lost man. I don't believe God would want that much misery imposed upon one of His children. Do you?
biblereader,

Your post # 53 confused me for a minute. You had a quotation box supposedly containing Jassy's preceding post but you edited what Jassy actually said and added your own comments. So it wasn't Jassy's quote. It was your response to what Jassy wrote.

Your sister in Christ,
Jennifer
Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 PM

TO: biblereader

Please note - your post #53 is deceitful and confusing. You placed a QUOTE Box there of my supposedly original post #50, which was NOT a quote of me!! You both ADDED, and TOOK AWAY FROM my original quote.

If you do not know how to use quote boxes, then please ask the administrator or do not use them. I do not think it is fair or kind to misuse quote boxes and attribute to me something that I did not say.

Forums can be confusing enough, without misappropriating quotations.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Jassy
Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I'll have to look it up and answer later. I just can't believe God would say, sure, it's ok for you to marry a lost man. I don't believe God would want that much misery imposed upon one of His children. Do you?
Sure, do please take the time to look it up from God's Word and not what you FEEL or THINK. The key words in your quote were the use of "I just can't believe..." or "I don't believe..." It doesn't matter what YOU feel or think! The only thing that matters is the TRUTH - what God's Word says about it.

So, I will be waiting for Bible Scriptures on MARRIAGE, that support what you are trying to say.

Thanks sis,
Jassy
Old 06-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Hi, Sis Jassy:
you said:
your post #53 is deceitful and confusing.
I say, that sounds very close to being wrongfully accused, since, God knows, I had NO intention of deliberately being deceitful.
Please tell me how to use the quote boxes, so I don't get wrongfully accused in the future.
Thanks, sis, that would be great to learn how to use those quote boxes, which would clear up a lot of confusion among the readers.
I now ask you:
Can you supply Scripture verses that support a lost person marrying a saved person?

Would you advise, knowing what you do, a saved woman to marry a lost man?
If you would, what would be the encouragement you would give her?
From the bible, not from personal knowledge or feelings about it. Bible only.

If not, why not? What would you tell her is the reason you do NOT want her to marry a lost man?
Using Scripture verses only, not feelings. Only scripture to validate either or both questions I asked.
Thanks.

By the way, how many people IN HERE have been married to the same man or woman, for more than 20 years?
(a side question, for future reference)

Seems like their advice would be valuable.
Sister Jassy, I will wait for you to answer my questions. I'm sure you can tell me why it's ok with God to marry a lost person, or why its NOT ok with God to link a lost person to a saved person. Please only use Bible verses in context, that support a lost sinner marrying a born again child of God.
I would like to see, and I'm sure you can supply, the bible verses where God encourages the spiritual, physical, and emotional union of that.

Last edited by biblereader; 06-07-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-07-2009, 06:13 AM

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ONE RACE MARRYING ANOTHER RACE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
My family is Scot-Irish, we are very fair skinned and light eyed. And my family is about as southern as you can get, if you know what I mean. My younger brother met his wife while stationed at Scofield Barracks in Hawaii. She is very dark skinned, dark eyed, and the first time I met her she had a huge Afro!

But I tell you, I am thankful for her, she is a wonderful girl and I love her to death. She is saved and trusts in the Lord Jesus. And that is my hope, because my younger brother is not saved. I recently visited and tried to speak to my brother about the Lord (have many times over the years), but he will not speak about it with me. But he listens to her. They have been married 30 years and have 5 wonderful children. So, she is my greatest hope that my brother will someday accept the Lord.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha biblereader,

3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.[/FONT]

These verses are NOT talking about "marriage". In the context they are talking about doing THE WORK OF GOD! Verse 1 talks about WORKERS; Verse 3 is talking about the "MINISTRY"; verse 4 talks about MINISTERS OF GOD; Verses 4-10 are talking about the "MINISTRY"; and Verse 14 is speaking about being "UNEQUALLY YOKED" - as in hooking up a Horse and a Ox together (for "WORK") or harnessing a Horse and a Jackass together (for "WORK"). {My wife and I have been married for 48 years, we aren't "YOKED" TOGETHER - we are "JOINED" TOGETHER - Matthew 19:6 & Mark 10:9}

The verses are simply saying - when you go out to do the "WORK" OF GOD, do NOT get hooked up ("yoked") with UNBELIEVERS!
Now, am I recommending that a Christian marry a lost person? Of course NOT!
OK Georgie, I'm glad you have a good marriage. I, now, do too. Been married 26 years to the same man, with one year off for a divorce, but, we remarried. I think of a husband and wife as a TEAM. Plus, we are united together. What is your definition of united together in a marriage?
You say the verses are saying when you do the work of the Lord, don't get hooked up with lost people.
Where do you do the work of the Lord, George?
Whom do you work, as a team with, in doing the work of the Lord?
Before you begin doing the "work of the Lord", do you examine the other team member, to make sure they are born again, or, how do you determine if the person you are to do the work of the Lord with, is equal to you?
(if you're not to be unequally yoked, then you should be equally yoked, right?)
Where do you do the work of the Lord?
Another question I hope you answer is, don't you live your life as a constant witness, in your home, in front of your family?
You sound like a pretty knowledgeable guy, so, define the work of the Lord, as Jesus means it, from the bible, tell me where you do the work of the Lord, and where you do NOT do the work of the Lord, and tell me how you decide, biblically, if a person is suitable to work WITH you, doing the work of the Lord Jesus?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 AM

Georgie, I have more questions, please answer them.
In studying this morning about marriages, I came across these puzzling verses:
(And, THANK YOU for insisting, Jassy, that I use Scripture, because that has brought to the forefront, these questions)
3: So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
Further on, the bible says something like we're delivered from the law, if we're born again, so are women who marry and remarry, another man, NOT an adulterer, or yes, she is an adulterer, as long as her past husband lives?
If a saved woman was divorced BEFORE she was saved, then married another man BEFORE she was saved, but then got born again while she was married to the 2nd husband, do the SCRIPTURES say she is an adulteress, or is NOT?

Also, Ro 8:1 1: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
This
validates that the woman is NOT under condemnation, if she is in the Spirit, and yet, remarried. Right?
Or, is divorce such a carnal thing, that the divorced wife IS under condemnation, but, since Jesus says there is NO condemnation to them who are in Christ Jesus, is the divorce not a sin to her?

Now, in John 4:18, Jesus says the woman has had 5 husbands, so is He saying she is still an adulteress?
Or, is He saying she has NO husband now, since she's obviously divorced from the other five?
17: The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18: For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

So, is a born again man or woman under condemnation if they become divorced, and do not remarry the same man again?
Or are they free from condemnation if they, being saved, end up being divorced, through no fault of theirs, and then marry another man?
I hope I'm not too confusing here.
What does Jesus clearly say about that?

Last edited by biblereader; 06-07-2009 at 07:56 AM.