General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
don poore

Default First use of KJV on Holy Bible

Who, when, and why was King James version frist printed on the Holy Bible? In the Bible Museum located in the Hampton inn located in Goodyear, Az. I saw several Bibles published between 1611 and 1769 none of them had either King James or Authorized version on or in them. I have a Bible with the date of 1940 without either printed in or on it.

don poore
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 PM
ricewine

Try to go to this site --> http://www.lifesgreatestsecret.com
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
LeeM1023

Default Warning about link

If you visit that site, it opens an Internet Explorer Window that you can't close. I hate--absolutely hate--that kind of manipulation by anyone. Why would any Christian organization do that? I had to open Task Manager and make mutliple attempts to close the window that way before it finally went away.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves. If they have the idea that their message is so important I shouldn't be able to close it off my computer, they are way off-base.

Just a word to the wise. Visit at your own risk.

Lee
Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don poore View Post
Who, when, and why was King James version frist printed on the Holy Bible? In the Bible Museum located in the Hampton inn located in Goodyear, Az. I saw several Bibles published between 1611 and 1769 none of them had either King James or Authorized version on or in them. I have a Bible with the date of 1940 without either printed in or on it.

don poore
Aloha don poore,

What is now called the King James Bible was just known as the "Holy Bible" from 1611 up to around 1901 or so. It was referred to as the "Authorized Version" (AV) (mostly by "scholars" in the 1800's) as it was "Authorized" to be used in the churches at that time.

It wasn't until 1881 that any serious "bible" came out in competition with the AV. This version was made in England and was mostly based on a "different" Greek text in the New Testament than the AV (a very long story). That "bible" was called the "Revised Version" - R.V. and "bombed out" (failed miserably) in just a few years.

The "Revised Version" translating committee was made up of mostly English "scholars", "clergy", etc., but there were some members from America that either participated or kept abreast of the translating. An "agreement" was made that the Americans would not come out with a "version" of "their own" for at least 20 years - which, when the "Revised Version" failed, the American's tried their hand at a "new" translation which came out in 1901 which was called the American Standard Version - A.S.V., which also failed miserably. (Not the "New" American Standard Version {N.A.S.V} which came out over 60 years later).

When the PUBLISHERS of The Bible (AV) came out with the "new" version (ASV) in 1901 they changed the name of The Bible (AV) to the King James Version (KJV); you might "guess" at what their motives were, but the plain fact of the matter is that the PUBLISHERS attached a man's name (King James) to the Holy Bible that had never been in the "Title" from 1611 up to 1901.

What is now known as the King James Bible was simply called the Holy Bible - that is why you can not find the name "Authorized Version", because there simply weren't any other "versions" around until 1881 to distinguish it from. A note of interest: Since 1901 there have been over 100 new "bibles" that have come out on the "market" in English - a phenomenon that exists in no other language on earth, and they all are "COPYRIGHTED", unlike the King James Bible - which has NO COPYRIGHT. (It makes you wonder - doesn't it?).

To get an "overall view" of the King James Bible "Issue" please check out my Post #69 at: AV1611 Bible Forums > Bible Versions -(page 2) > "Were the early Fundamentalists KJV only?" - (page 7) > Post #69. And for a "Biblical" viewpoint check out my "Thread": AV1611 Bible Forums > Bible Versions > "Why I believe the King James Bible is the word of God" > Post#1

Should you want or need any additional information on this subject there are many King James Bible sites on the net and lots of books (pro & con) on the subject.

I have several studies on the King James Bible (plus additional information & URL's) on my web site: http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/ under the King James Bible section, which you might want to check out.

Last edited by George; 06-12-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha don poore,
What is now known as the King James Bible was simply called the Holy Bible - that is why you can not find the name "Authorized Version", because there simply weren't any other "versions" around until 1881 to distinguish it from.
Even in the 1980s (I was a child then), we used to refer to it as "The Bible"; and any other bibles that doesn't read like it, we call them "revised". I remember throwing some of those "revised bibles" into the waste can; but one Bible college student reprimanded us for doing that. We wondered why, since they were "revised bibles" and no one believes in them in our campus. He told us just "not to throw bibles to the waste can". Then we realized -- it wasn't a nice thing to look at -- Christian school pupils throwing bibles to the waste can!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:16 AM
mtpratt

Exclamation Whats with the judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM1023 View Post
If you visit that site, it opens an Internet Explorer Window that you can't close. I hate--absolutely hate--that kind of manipulation by anyone. Why would any Christian organization do that? I had to open Task Manager and make mutliple attempts to close the window that way before it finally went away.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves. If they have the idea that their message is so important I shouldn't be able to close it off my computer, they are way off-base.

Just a word to the wise. Visit at your own risk.

Lee

As born again believer and a dedicated servant to Christ in addition to 14+ years to the IT career. I would NEVER EVER EVER do such a thing to hinder the cause of christ. Did you ever think to take a scan for Spyware? on your machine? Whoever moderates this site needs to have this comment removed. Its so sad that we automaticaly come to conclusions that the other person is at falt when something happens. But the great thing about it is we are forgiven and we are given the Grace of the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ. So as Christ forgave us I do you. Have a blessed day.

In Christ
Michael Pratt
lifesgreatestsecret.com
Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Hi Folks,

This issue comes up here and there, so I did a little checking this AM and placed a post on the Fighting Fundamental Forum.

http://www.fundamentalforums.com/sho...3&postcount=18
The Holy Bible, conteyning the Old Testament, and the New

We could bring the post over here, and there is a bit of additional material.

As far as I can tell, in terms of "KJV on Holy Bible", a full Bible, you are probably beginning around :

http://www.booksandcollectibles.com...._id=224342934&
Holy Bible: Containing The Old And New Testaments Authorized King James Version
Oxford University Press New York 1948 Pilgrim Edition

However, it is more reliable to see the Bible or a picture. The term "Authorized King James Version" could have been added later in the advertising.

I tend to doubt that any Bibles were actually published as the "King James Version" much before that time.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM

Hi there...Hope you are still out there {hate to waste time helping folks that disappear on internetland}...

Okee-dokee; did some googling and I found a couple of sites with some interesting info and history items about the English Bible. I typed in "Bible publishing history" and came across these sites with interesting history and bios and dates concerning the English Bible,,,but I didn't see the exact asnswer to your question. On the American site you can scroll down and see the various covers and the different ways of spelling things. The Bishops Bible of 1568 has on the cover "Holie Bible".

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-en...bible-history/

http://www.americanbible.org/adsport...item.php?id=63

You might try writing to the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. , and/or Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland , and/or the Library at Yale University.