General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Help find Quality

I was at my local Christian book store and the Cambridge Large Print edition:

* Leather Bound: 1566 pages
* Publisher: Cambridge; Lrg edition (March 1, 1995)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 0521508819
* ISBN-13: 978-0521508810
* Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.7 x 1.4 inches

for the price, I would rate this is poor quality bible. Compared to Oxfords KJV old Schofield, or even my NIV Thompson chain, Cambridge is like a comic book compared to what I have for quality. Leather feels cheap, paper feels inferior to Oxford or Zondervan.

Does anyone know of a HIGH QUALITY KJV that is not a study bible.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Let me rephrase, I am not trying to start a thread on the authority of the PCE of the KJV, I want to spend what ever it takes on a HIGH QUALITY last a lifetime bible of that caliber, not $60 for what I was shown at my local store that may last 4-5 years before it falls apart. I have qoogled a number of sites and am looking for some hands on "I got one of those" advice from a satisfied customer.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Gord:---I read your post twice and I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the Cambridge Bibles. They are the best made with the best materials. I worked in 2 christian book stores and have shopped/browsed in many others over the years, and frankly Zondervan is not good quality---(much of their stuff is glued together) , their font/print/ink color is crummy,,,but why not ? After all they put forth the "Not Inspired Version"---If a publishing house has such a low view of scripture , it stands to reason that they would have an inferior product!

I'd suggest that you go to the Cambridge Bible Press website and look at it and/or request their catalog which shows them making/printing/binding the Cambridge and T.B.S. Bibles. They use from the very best: Goatskin, then Calfskin, then cowhide-(genuine leather), French Morrocan-(sheepskin, then Bonded Leather-(which is at least 90% leather fibres with some resin), then Hardbacks and a couple of paperbacks-?. They stitch with an awl and thread. Their print/ink/fonts are very good. Both they and T.B.S. have either "Reference Bibles" with cross-references usually in the center column of the page, or they have plain Text editions with only the the text of the Scripture. They use very good paper, in about 2 or 3 different grades/levels.

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/bibles/

Last edited by PB1789; 05-21-2008 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added link to website
Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Thank you, I will have another look in thier catalogue then see if my local store can order one.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 PM

Have you tried the localchurchpublishers website? They have quality straight text Bibles.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 AM

This is the Cambridge bible my local Christian book store has ordered for me.

Quote:
KJV Large Print Text Edition Black French Morocco leather 83
Bible

Leather Binding

(ISBN-13: 9780521508810 | ISBN-10: 0521508819)

DOI: 10.2277/0521508819

* Published February 1995

The King James Version of 1611 has been the most widely known and quoted version of the Bible for over three centuries, and has shaped both Western culture and the English language. The Large-Print Bible provides the text of the King James Version in a clear, large type. For those with impaired eyesight, or those who just require a comfortable reading size, this will be the ideal Bible. There are self-pronouncing marks in the text, which will help readers to pronounce difficult names and words when reading aloud. This Large-Print Bible is bound in soft French Morocco leather which will make it a pleasure to own.

• clear, large type • pronouncing marks in the text, which will help readers to pronounce difficult names and words when reading aloud • bound in soft French Morocco leather
She had an opened sample that I could handle and feel, and the quality is excellent. The one I originally looked at was small print and seemingly different paper and cover making it to me appear of lesser quality.

I feel like a 5 year old at a birthday party waiting for it to arrive.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM

This may not be the route in which you're looking, but it wasn't for me either.

I have a wide-margin Scofield that was originally bonded leather whatever... Needless to say, the cover was deteriorating quickly. Before the binding went bad, I took it to a local book bindery and had a "top shelf" goatskin cover put on. It's now (hopefully ) good for life, but it did cost me about $125. I will never complain of the cost - I love the thing.

My advise is spend whatever money now, it's worth it down the road.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 PM

The first one they sent to the store was ordered wrong, hard cover and small print, so after an other patient few weeks finally, as written in the
Quote:
PSALMS 119:161 Princes have persecuted me without a cause: but my heart standeth in awe of thy word.
and I stand equally in awe of the quality.

How does one loosen the gilded pages without damage in an impatient fashion.

My spirit has been lifted to unspeakable heights in anticipation of what the Lord is about to teach me.

Last edited by Gord; 07-05-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
How does one loosen the gilded pages without damage in an impatient fashion.
I recently bought three gilded KJVs and noticed the pages needed to be separated to avoid fumbling when paging for a verse. I just sat down and turned each page, one after the other, in all three, until it was done. I think I was watching the news while I did it. (I didn't do it all in one sitting.)
Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 AM

I feel akward Like I dont take good enough care of my Bible. Gord wants one to last years and I cant get mine to make it but three years or so.

My Bible is supposed to be the old Scolfield Bible wide margin given to me in 2003 and I already need to buy another. A friend bought me a large print last May 2007 while we visited in Virginia for 3 months. but a man here needed one so bad because he could not see the smaller print so I gave my brand new large print Bible to him.

My current KJV Scolfield has so many underlines, my notes in the margins, and extra cross references I added in teh center collum from reading it through so many times the last few years. it's pages are already worn and dog eared.

The sad thing here is that our local Christian book store doesn't carry KJV Bibles. if they ever have any they are from the local Bble Society and of very poor quality.