General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM

I Corinthians 12-14 is a discourse on REFUTING tongues. "whether there be tongues, they shall cease"(I cor 13:8). If you are studying the Bible dispensationally, you will understand that these gifts were for the apostles as signs to the Jews, and have ceased with the closing of the canon of scripture, "that which is perfect"(I Cor 13:10).
"A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign" (Mat 16:14)
If we have these signs still, what of snake handlers and drinking poison?
"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils, they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing , it shall not hurt them" (Mark 16:17-18).
Where are the poison drinkers today?
This issue opens up a can o' worms and suggests the canon of scripture is open to change. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, which was ONCE delivered unto the saints. Special revelation(the Bible) is complete and all sufficient(II Pet 1:3). The only sign we have is the sign of the prophet Jonah typified by Christs death, burial, and resurrection as revealed in the scriptures(I Cor 15:3-4). Any other so called revelation is deification of self.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Pastor Mikie

You aren't comprehending what I'm saying and don't want to. You are digging up the same old arguments that I've already put holes in. So you go ahead and continue your thread for "Tongue-Haters". All I can do is try to make you understand. Your application of 1st Corithians 13:8-10 is misapplied, your understanding of "signs and wonders" is misapplied, you are making the Scriptures say what you want it to. So I will move on to something else.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Well, what of snake handlers and ingesting poison? There is no 'tongue hating' here. Just a disdain for error. There were pointed out examples of men in the church throughout history of which none spoke in tongues, but Mikie didn't care, not relevant. The closest thing to tongues is visions and such by the patristics which is just occultic mysticism being revived in the Emergent Church movement. I guess just as scripture was lost for 1800 years until it was found in a monastery, so was speaking in tongues until the Azusa revival in 1901.
I wonder what other doctrine of error acccompanies this one. Maybe Replacement Theology? Amillenialism, Preterism, etc...
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Tongues were to validate to the Jews (who rejected the gospel of the kingdom preached by the apostles of the circumcision) the gospel of grace preached by the Apostle of the Gentiles.
Well said! Tongues did cease, along with the other (sign gifts) which were at that time to authenticate the preaching of the apostles, and as well as during Christ's ministry here on earth.
But now we have the completed scripture, and there is no further revelation.
Paul says,
Col. 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
Col 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Col 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
We have all that is needed to be perfect in Christ Jesus!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
broswmiller

I have seen many pentecostals seek an experience rather than what the Bible really teaches.I believe in tongues some say because I experienced it.Some pentecostal preachers and teachers tell their congregations how to speak in tongues by word or tracts.If its of God the Spirit will get that tongue to flowing but sadly its not that way.

Many cults speak in tongues and it sounds just like some mainline pentecostals speaking .Kenneth copeland was caught praising satan in english between speaking in tongues and yep copeland looks like a demon.

Bro Miller.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
broswmiller

http://www.cephasministry.com/toronto_unmask.html

Copeland speaketh in tongues praising his master satan.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 AM

I dont beleive these gifts have been done away with. the gifts of the Spirit are different than what qwas happening as a sign in Act 2. these gift will be taken up again in the Tribulation. but as for today I have yet to see it working the way it was in is supposed to according to 1Cor12-14.

dispensationally there is a gift of tngues but it has an interpretation. I have heard of very few that have interpreted. most it is nonsence or demonic. for tongues always glorify's the work of God. I have heard of people being convicted of supposed crimes becasue they spoke in a tongue and someone else interpreted it as a confession to rape and murder. That does not jive with Bible use of Tongues.

Plus I have seen and heard Bhudist monks floatinf off teh ground eating hot coals speak in perfect English. who when I spoke to them in the street couldn't understand a word of it nor speek it. they had tongues. also I have seen demon possessed people speak some of the same type of Jiberish I have seen in some Charismatic churches too.

so though I may be open to tongues as a gift to edify the church. it better be according to Biblical standard or I will tell you to shut up in my church.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 AM
broswmiller

Yes the modern day snake handlers and poision drinkinkers validates its not wise to do this because death has resulted and it has been outlawed but they are still breaking the law and dying.Tongues goes with the snakes and poision drinkers and if snakes and poision are killing deceived folks the tongues experience is also deceptive.

I know several people that were involved in the pentecostal experiences and have backslid worser than any baptist I know some are now in wicca [i.e.withcraft].If someone speaks in a language he or she thinks is of God and it isnt they can open themselves up for all kinds of bondages and deceptions.

God gave me one language and thats english.My final destination is heaven and if speaking in other tongues is not required to get there I dont need it.Amen.

God bless.
Bro Miller.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 PM

1 Corinthians 12-14
I believe the gift of tongues has been withdrawn along with the gifts of prophecy (foretelling, not "forth telling"), miracles, and healing. If they have not been withdrawn, where are the prophets that will add to the perfect ("completed") revelation of the Bible? Why do we have hospitals today? Why do missionaries (including the tongue speakers) have to undergo language study?
The gift of tongues is not the "best" gift according to the Apostle Paul. In the zeal of many to covet the "not-the-best" gifts, they lose the gift of COMMON SENSE.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM

1 Cor. 14:22 What are tongues for anyway?
1 Cor. 1:22 Who needs them?
2 Cor. 5:7 We don't.