Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 PM
ONEWAY

I am new to these issues. I recently came under conviction regarding the various translations so I began reading my Bible (King James) and found in Acts 26:14 where Jesus spoke to Paul in the "Hebrew tongue" and said to myself BUT Luke wrote this in Greek! This led me to be convinced that through the power of the Holy Ghost it is possible to have an "inspired translation". It is not a secondary inspiration or extra- Biblical but exactly, perfectly, super-naturally translated into another language.

From Acts 2 and other places I believe that God, through the power of the Holy Ghost and the gift of tongues translated His Word into every language in the World. I believe tongues was not just a sign for unbelievers but a translation tool of God's Word. These facts I am convinced of BUT what I don't know is what are the "inspired translations" in each language?

I am ind Baptist and I see you hold charismatic doctrine...what do you think tongues was for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
I do not believe God inspired His Word in English, or preserved it only in English.

God inspired in the original languages. There are many copies of this today. Preservation covers all that in general.

But God has been able to gather out of these witnesses, by providentially using men, to have one perfect text and translation. It is the King James Bible. This means that the KJB is perfect in showing exactly what was there in the Autographs, and what exactly God was communicating.

Manny, I am curious about your thoughts on the subject. I see there are many variations within the King James people.

thanks.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 PM

When Jesus spoke to Paul in Hebrew, or when Paul preached in Hebrew at Jerusalem, or when Jesus spoke Hebrew on the cross, none of these are "inspired Scripture" in that they are spoken things. What "inspiration" covers is the writing of the Scripture by a human author once for every word in the Autographs. The outworking of that is that God would not fail to keep and preserve what He inspired. Those words have inspiration power in them. But God is not "reinspiring", He is preserving by His Providence (power to provide and work through history).

The King James Bible was not made by inspiration from 1604-1611. It is, however, perfectly translated and rendered.

Quote:
From Acts 2 and other places I believe that God, through the power of the Holy Ghost and the gift of tongues translated His Word into every language in the World.
You will notice that was connected to preaching and prophecy in Acts. It has nothing to do with Bible writing or translating.

Quote:
I am ind Baptist and I see you hold charismatic doctrine...what do you think tongues was for?
I am not a Charismatic, but a Traditional Pentecostal. Tongues were never for Scripture translating.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
ONEWAY

Actually it says "wonderful works of God." Acts is a history of the inspired translation and pulication and distribution of the God's Word. Of this I am sure. BUT what I am struggling with now is after initial "inspired translations" what happened then?

Could anyone point me some place that shows the evolution of language? what languages were alive in the first century and how they evolved into our present languages. My "theory" is that the Lord inspired His Word in every language intially and has since preserved His Word in each language...were these languages the base languages upon which current languages descended from?

thanks!

Quote:
When Jesus spoke to Paul in Hebrew, or when Paul preached in Hebrew at Jerusalem, or when Jesus spoke Hebrew on the cross, none of these are "inspired Scripture" in that they are spoken things. What "inspiration" covers is the writing of the Scripture by a human author once for every word in the Autographs. The outworking of that is that God would not fail to keep and preserve what He inspired. Those words have inspiration power in them. But God is not "reinspiring", He is preserving by His Providence (power to provide and work through history).

The King James Bible was not made by inspiration from 1604-1611. It is, however, perfectly translated and rendered.

You will notice that was connected to preaching and prophecy in Acts. It has nothing to do with Bible writing or translating.

I am not a Charismatic, but a Traditional Pentecostal. Tongues were never for Scripture translating.
Fair enough, traditional pentecostal it is...I understand, I am a Baptist and I hate it when people refer to me as a protestant or say Baptists are descended from Puritans.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Acts is a history of the inspired translation and pulication and distribution of the God's Word.
Old Testament quotations in the New Testament are the only "inspired translations" there are in the book of Acts.

Quote:
BUT what I am struggling with now is after initial "inspired translations" what happened then?
You mean, what happened after the Bible books were all written? If God was not looking after the Scripture so that it would never be lost, we would not have the Scripture today.

Quote:
Could anyone point me some place that shows the evolution of language?
No. I would say that Bible believers would not believe in “evolution”.

Quote:
what languages were alive in the first century and how they evolved into our present languages.
You mean how languages have changed since the time of Christ? Of course, that it easy to see.

Quote:
My "theory" is that the Lord inspired His Word in every language intially and has since preserved His Word in each language...
Not only is this a bad theory, but you said before that you don't even know how languages changed, so you are in no possession to make theories. Thankfully, we do not rely upon theories when we believe what the Bible says, and it never says anything like what you have theorised.

Quote:
were these languages the base languages upon which current languages descended from?
Since inspiration was written in Greek in the New Testament, your questions are completely misguided.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 AM
ONEWAY

Quote:
Old Testament quotations in the New Testament are the only "inspired translations" there are in the book of Acts.
If you think that only written words are inspired but that is NOT TRUE. Writing something down is not what makes something inspired.

Quote:
You mean, what happened after the Bible books were all written? If God was not looking after the Scripture so that it would never be lost, we would not have the Scripture today.
yes of course I realiZe that.

Quote:
No. I would say that Bible believers would not believe in “evolution”.

You mean how languages have changed since the time of Christ? Of course, that it easy to see.
yes i am trying to find a really good chart that shows the evolution of language.

Quote:
Not only is this a bad theory, but you said before that you don't even know how languages changed, so you are in no possession to make theories. Thankfully, we do not rely upon theories when we believe what the Bible says, and it never says anything like what you have theorised.
God giving inspired translations is not a theory, it is fact but what I am interested in is studying how those languaes have evolved and what Bibles there where in each. Do you know any good sources?

Quote:
Since inspiration was written in Greek in the New Testament, your questions are completely misguided.
you think greek is closer to english then latin?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEWAY View Post
yes i am trying to find a really good chart that shows the evolution of language.
There is no "really good chart" showing evolution.

Quote:
God giving inspired translations is not a theory
It is actually hypothesis. There is no Scripture nor historical facts to back up the idea that God inspired various translations of the Scripture.

Would God really do this, and not speak about it in Scripture?

Would God do this, and then have the translations only in some languages, and have them all different and many obviously imperfect? Surely they are human translations, not inspired.

Quote:
you think greek is closer to english then latin?
This question doesn't really mean anything.