General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Bro. Paul said: What conclusions have you guys come to on this?
Quote:
Sis. Hayseed said:People are too free with what other's "should" or shouldn't be doing.

The reason this is being discussed isn't because we want to tell others what to do, but because Bro. Paul asked what conclusions we had come to. But for any of us to come down with a hard and fast rule, you are right, that would be wrong.

I again will state that I am in 100% agreement with what Sis. Jaebyrd has to say. If one believes that conception begins at fertilization hormonal birth control is in my opinion wrong. But as I've said before in another thread that I think God gives grace in ignorance of this fact...But if I was asked by anyone on this subject I would also be wrong to not inform them of the scientific fact of how hormonal birth control works. After that, it is in their hands and not my place to judge.

Be blessed!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM

What is an effective birth control though,apart from abstinence?

I have found that the use of condoms can fail,(I got a blessing and nappies from condom use.)

My daughter and her hubby used condomes,spermicidal jelly and the I.U.D and tragically the baby conceived attached to the follopian tube.My daughter's life was in danger and she had two little girls and a husband.She couldn't be operated on and so my husband and I sat with her while she was put on chemotherapy at a friends house close to the hospital.I can't describe what we went through watching this and just praying for the Lord to receive our grandchild.She had to be sterilised permanently after this.(Another bone of contention among christians.)

Her second child had been conceived while she was on the pill.

Eight months ago our middle son and his wife were so happy expecting their first baby,and at nearly four months she miscarried.They have been trying for another baby and so far it is not happening for them.They were previously using the pill.

I don't know what the answer is,to what is acceptable..nothing is 100% but whatever is the preferred method couples use it needs to be the most effective with what is available.

I just know it is very personal and it can be that each method has it's sadness's attached.
I don't have an answer in a fallen world for birth control apart from liberty.

Wishy washy I know but it's hard to be a young couple having to manage that very personal area of your lives,without sinning in some way if a conception happens.

The topic is "Contraception a liberty or sin?"

It is not asking what methods are used,or what the failure rate is leading to a conception taking place...just,liberty or sin?
From that question alone as it is worded I would have to say liberty because no matter what methods we use..nasty experiences can happen.

Very difficult for folk.

Mrs Hayseed
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It is not asking what methods are used,or what the failure rate is leading to a conception taking place...just,liberty or sin?
From that question alone as it is worded I would have to say liberty because no matter what methods we use..nasty experiences can happen.

Very difficult for folk.

Mrs Hayseed
Sister great point...The question was an either/or and it's clearly not.

However, one has to have a place to start and it is relatively easy to rule out the pill and other hormonal birth control for the average couple seeking advice. You bring up a good exceptions though. I would not dare to meddle in a serious case of the health of the mother. Obviously the mother's health is first priority.

I wrote this on my blog awhile back. Please consider:

Quote:
Did you know that your local drugstore could be selling Plan B i.e. the morning after pill? Both our CVS and Wal-Greens sells this drug. Each pharmacy can choose whether to offer it or not.

As if it mattered, I discovered yesterday that the only requirement to be able to purchase Plan B is that you’re 18 or older. A prescription is not even needed. According to the website you can discreetly order using a printable card that you can just hand over to the pharmacist without ever saying a word.

Notice that the website admits this Plan B works in just the same way as the conventional hormonal birth control options such as “the pill.” Most Christians wouldn’t dream of purchasing a “morning-after-pill” but have no qualms taking the birth-control pill. Yet they both work in the very same way. The only difference I suppose would be with one you are deliberately trying to end a possible pregnancy, the other you would be hoping that the only way you were preventing a pregnancy is that you did not ovulate that month.

I have not met many Christians that when asked “When does life begin?” would say, “After fertilization when the ovum baby has attached to the uterus.” They almost ALWAYS say “Life begins at conception (fertilization).” In fact that is THE most common Pro-Life position.

If that is the case we should prayerfully consider these things and take responsibility for our actions. We should also make these things known to other Christians who may not know. For years we took “the pill” trusting our Doctors that it was a safe method. Coming off the pill was not an easy decision to make as we knew there would be more children and at the time that was not easy to accept, but I believe that if the Lord is working and dealing with you and your husband He will give you the grace and peace you need to do what is right.

Just some scattered thoughts to give you something to think about this Thursday.

If you would like to have a great booklet to hand out on this Randy Alcorn has a great booklet discussing the subject in depth “Does the Birth Control Pill Cause Abortion”

Interestingly our “Christian” President G. W. Bush supports the “Morning After Pill” (see here) but so does Hillary Clinton? Go figure…
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM

"We should also make these things known to other christians who may not know."
There's the rub for me Amanda.
I have learnt alot on this thread that I did not know previously and I will keep it under my hat.

For me personally,I just can't do that,make these things known to other christians who may not know.

I see my son's happy in their marriages and just think their wives are God's gifts to my sons,as is my daughter's hubby to her...they don't need me to come along and tell them any of this that I have learnt here.

God is blessing them in so many areas of their lives as married couples and they have other young couples as friends that they confide in about many areas of their lives.We have been blessed by quite a few young marrieds in our church in recent years and some of those couples are now bringing their first borns to church.They are now back using their preferred method of contraception and I just think it would not be wisdom to tell them what I have learnt here.
My thoughts entirely,others may feel free to think differently.
Mrs Hayseed
Old 08-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
The reason this is being discussed isn't because we want to tell others what to do, but because Bro. Paul asked what conclusions we had come to. But for any of us to come down with a hard and fast rule, you are right, that would be wrong.
I do agree with what you are saying here Amanda.That is the wisdom Iam talking about.

Mrs Hayseed