Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Yes Amanda, I think people are still growing spiritually in that area and are learning to try not to be so hard or blasting in their responses so as not to offend.

it takes time to grow and some of us came to the Lord late in life and carry garbage and baggage that we have to learn to let go.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
George you are right.

I read the first part of the first post of the shepherds pastors and stopped reading and said I would not get involved in that thread. there are a few threads I am not reading nor participating in.
You, too? Same here.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 AM

Pam said:
Quote:
There IS a man (singular) in a "leadership position" (a biblical church office) in I Timothy 3:1-7. There is only ONE bishop as opposed to plural "deacons" referred to in verses 8-13 of the same chapter. And this ONE MAN (that is to "take care of the church of God") is likened to A man RULING over his own house...we all know that there is to be just ONE MAN ruling his own house, not a plurality of leaders in the home. Again, this man is correlated to someone who RULES, not just another "ordinary Christian."

Those that are over us in the Lord are NOT to be treated like "ordinary Christians," according to Paul. We are "to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake." (I Thes. 5:12-13) And the "elders that RULE well" are to "be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine." (I Tim. 5:17)
Amen, Sister Pam. I didn't see where anyone addressed this post. You make great points in which I agree.

You've probably noted that the verses you quoted are given to us. That should be out heart attitude, our treatment of those elders.

This is how we are told to treat fellow brothers and sisters -

Php 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Yet, we are told here to highly esteem those which labour among us, admonish us and are over us

I Thess 5:12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

Yet, Bro. George brings out more applicable verses:

But notice here who this is written to:

Quote:
Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

1 Corinthians 4:6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

These verses are a warning to not puff YOURSELF up. Not to think to highly of YOURSELF. Not negating the verses to those us as to who we are to esteem.

It is written how we are to think of men...Those that "rule" well and labour among us we are to highly esteem. And as Christians we are all (even the leadership) to esteem another better than ourselves.

Now lest I alert the forum police I had better not post anymore today
Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Forum Administrator

I was tempted to remove this entire thread, but I think the topical content is quite important, so I've gone through and removed the tiresome, bitter, personal, baiting, bickering posts (and a few that were just in response to those, since they were also out of place).

If anyone want to continue posting on the topic of this thread, please feel free to do so.