Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Sis Amanda,

I am just SHOCKED!!!! When does a Christian "not have time" to go into the Word and find out what God said?! Since when should we take a dictionary as a FIRST or QUICKER method of gleaning wisdom? The answer is NEVER!!! We are told to compare Scripture with Scripture. I totally disagree with your idea - that one should run to the dictionary (be it Oxford or Webster's) for a QUICK reference!!

If your husband or pastor is doing that, uhhhhhhhhh - I would question whether they are giving a good example for you to follow.

I'm guessing, from what you've said, that your Oxford dictionary is much more dog-earred than your Bible? Forgive me, if I'm wrong. If not, then why put it as a first preference for a quick look-up of the meaning of a word? If it's in relation to the Bible - then let's go to the BIBLE and let that define it!! I don't even own a dictionary, and I'm glad for that. The Holy Spirit is what I depend on for understanding and opening wisdom to me from the Word of God. I don't think the Holy Spirit is going to work with me in opening wisdom, if the book that I open is an Oxford or Webster's dictionary!

I LOVE getting into the Word of God - reading and studying. I will always put that FIRST. Nothing in life will get in the way of that. For that reason, I do sometimes take breaks from this forum for a few days, to intensify my studies of God's Word.

Definitely I agree with brother George, because a Christian most certainly shouldn't want to go to a dictionary and have their understanding clouded by a secular source, BEFORE going to the Bible.

Brother George's studies are right-on and they're very edifying. One has to get INTO the Word to understand them. That's what's good about them. It makes you open the Bible and read and study! His studies have been such a blessing for me and I hope and pray that he will continue to provide them for this forum. I, for one, appreciate them dearly. I know brother George puts a lot of time and study into them.

Jassy
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Amen...If one has hours to sit and look up every instance the word seek comes up in the Bible, compare Scripture with Scripture then like I said that is far better than any other method.

But as a homeschooling mother of 5, wife, SS teacher, Children's Church teacher, pianist, weekly bulletin and prayer list editor I don't always have the time to stop school for a day to run all the references. Forgive me...?

I am so glad you love getting into the Word of God...I do to, but sometimes we have to eat and I am sure people would be happy if we didn't go around naked because there are no clean clothes
Note what Bro. George said:
Quote:
the Scriptural "definitions" I gleaned from the Holy Bible in a study that I did on the Biblical "HEART" that took me more than a year to complete.
I am agreeing with George. He did a great study. Amen.

And no, honestly we don't even have an Oxford. My husband has to borrow one from his Dad when he knows he'll be needing it....?
Usually, if I need a definition quickly I ask my husband as he is very capable of defining a word having done what George is teaching for years. We do use the Webster's but it is for school and not Bible study.

If one is well read in their Bible and they DO have the need to turn to the dictionary then I would hope that the Spirit and discernment would alert them to a discrepancy...

You said:
Quote:
Forgive me, if I'm wrong. If not, then why put it as a first preference for a quick look-up of the meaning of a word? If it's in relation to the Bible - then let's go to the BIBLE and let that define it!
Why have a dictionary you prefer over another? Because as Bro. George said:

Quote:
And again, when I said: "When it comes to any word in the Bible which has any spiritual significance I do NOT recommend going to Webster's Dictionary. Search out the words (Scripture with Scripture) to find God's definition. When you have determined in your heart, mind, spirit and soul what the meaning is, you might check out Webster's as a comparison - but I recommend that you do not go to Webster's first - it might "influence" your search (without even knowing it.)"
It IS helpful, especially with words that are not of a spiritual significance. And then, when your word study is over, you can go check it out as a comparison.

So, for those words without spiritual significance and words you've defined in Scripture we prefer the Oxford over the Webster's.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Sis Amanda,

I have to remember that I'm a bit unusual, I spend the majority of my day in the Word of God. I'm disabled and usually am at home, so I have time to put the Word of God always first. If I were to find that I can't put it first... then I would know that there was something that I needed to eliminate from my life to "make room."

I have noticed some friends who are soooooo harried and so frazzled that their nerves are stretched to the max. They're always driving their kids to various places for a diversity of sports, music lessons, school activities, and "Christian activities." I wonder how very edifying such activities are, if a person barely has time to devote maybe 15 minutes a day for Bible study?

Well, I should say NEVER MIND... because I don't have any children and have never had to devote my time to motherhood so, instead, I put that time into the Bible. I am certain that it is a wonderful thing to raise up a child to love the Word of God! There are so many beautiful scriptures about the blessings of children.

Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Proverbs 17:6 Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers.

Proverbs 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

There are times when I have wished that I had children. However, the Lord knows best and I trust in Him. I have to realize that I have the blessing of TIME and also the freedom to make decisions about how I will use that time. I know not everyone has the time that God has given to me. AND not always do I use it wisely!! Yes, I can admit that.

Jassy
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 PM

You make a great point...I am constantly struggling with balance and moderation. It seems as if I am a Mary, I am not a Martha...and if I am a Martha, I am a Mary. And sometimes I'm neither

I have really, really enjoyed the forum and have spent WAY too much time on here lately another sign of my lack of moderation

But I excuse it because it is our summer break and because it's the only thing I do for enjoyment...And I am addicted to reading and studying what my Bible has to say and talking about it!

Quote:
I have noticed some friends who are soooooo harried and so frazzled that their nerves are stretched to the max. They're always driving their kids to various places for a diversity of sports, music lessons, school activities, and "Christian activities." I wonder how very edifying such activities are, if a person barely has time to devote maybe 15 minutes a day for Bible study?
I agree so much with this statement. Thankfully my husband and I share views on this and have pulled out to a large degree the extra curricular activities that most homeschoolers are involved in. Like you said, it takes away from the important things such as Bible reading, studying and devotions, family time, and church attendance.

I have a blog that I've named Better Is Little - Finding the Joy in Simply Living based on the verse
Pr 15:16 Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.

It is a goal of ours to live simply in all areas of our life...our activities, our food, our possessions etc. We're not there yet, but always striving for the mark. But even then, with our responsibilities and of our own doing we can complicate things and before we know it we're cumbered about with many things.

PTL for the blessings and special gifts He gives to each of His children.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Default Untitled

Hello again Amanda!

I honestly don’t know why you are being singled out for special attention regarding your posts, as all you are guilty of in my eyes is eagerly seeking to interact on subjects that you wish to reason through with others.

And concerning some of the stick you have been getting I would ask - will some of you guys encourage her rather than tear her to pieces because she has different ideas than those who oppose her!

Yes people like me and Amanda are new here but what kind of a forum would it be if only the original members called the shots? And yes, when we enter a church or a home for the first time we respect those who have been there longer than ourselves, but new members are just as much a member as any other. When we are talking about common courtesy, it is also quite a loving thing to do to encourage new members who are hungry for truth and interaction rather than surrounding them and laying the law down and forcing people down the ladder.

Cut her some slack will you!

God bless

PaulB
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Forum Administrator

Paul and Amanda: what you both need to keep in mind is that veteran members of the forum have their own opinions, just like you do, and they are just as free to express them as you are, even if that opinion is against a new member and about their frequency of posting.

The only person here who speaks for "the forum" on policy matters is the one who has "Forum Administrator" under his name. Everyone else is just stating their opinion.

Just in case it is not clear: this forum has no rule about frequency of posting. There will never be one, ever. I would take the forum down before I started imposing such things -- this is an internet forum. It's the way forums are.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:09 PM

I have no problem with that Brandon - but why again are we being addressed as examples of wrong doing when it is people like me and Amanda who are being tarnished with all kinds of titles?

We are simply joining in the discussions like everyone else!

God bless

PaulB
Old 07-31-2009, 03:27 PM

Default What I heard.... :)

Bro. Brandon,

This is what I heard when you said what you said above:

Quote:
Bro. George and Sis. Jennifer: what you both need to keep in mind is that new members of the forum have their own opinions, just like you do, and they are just as free to express them as you are, even if that opinion is against a veteran member and about their lack of posting.

The only person here who speaks for "the forum" on policy matters is the one who has "Forum Administrator" under his name. Everyone else is just stating their opinion.
Have you ever heard that women hear things differently when it filters through to their brain? LoL

I'm just joking around