General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post

Maybe George should join the Clan!!! My Clan even takes Jews, if they are an Anderson that is. We do discriminate against non-Anderson's for membership.
Anderson is the 12th most common surname (as of 2000). And the Anderson clan is cool. Unique tartan, good motto, nice signet.

However, there are two types of Anderson. Those of Scots-Irish decent and the Andersson of Swedish decent who lost the extra S during emigration.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 PM
fundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbible1611 View Post
"Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason why the gundpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."

I remember learning this rhyme as a young boy at School in England, however, we were never taught the reason behind the 'gunpowder plot'-I guess that's why most Roman Catholics also celebrated this day without knowing the in's and out's of the plot.

Guy Fawkes Day is the celebration of the foiling of a plot by the then reigning Pope and the British Jesuits that was meant to destroy parliament, murder King James I, and end the reign of Protestantism as the church of state in Great Britain (November 5, 1605) and the execution of Fawkes for treason (January 6, 1606.)

Fawkes planted barrels of gunpowder in the basement of parliament but thanks to God's providence the plot was uncovered by the authorities and Fawkes and the Jesuit instigators were arrested and executed.

We would celebrate by building a bonfire, fireworks and burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes.

Just think if the Jesuits had been successful Satan would have prevented us from having our beloved AV1611.

So forget about the election and let's celebrate the 5th November! Amen!
Gday Bogon,howyagoinmateorrite??,

Its Dave here, from Bethany Baptist.

I agree,the failure of the gunpowder plot has got to be one of the most important (non) events in Christain, and world, history. Imagine a Catholic Britain allied with Catholic France and Spain?? the only tea party ever held in Boston would have been when Napoleon dropped in for a visit with his Redcoat pals for a bit of colonial hunting.

See you,

fundy
Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611
I'm very thankful for the USA and the blessings God has bestowed on her through the years. I've actually contemplated a few radical (but Biblically-defensible) things in lament of my nation's bad decisions. But I won't rebel against the authority that God has allowed to come into power; as long as they don't try to make me go contrary to the Word of God, I have the responsibility to submit to them and honor God in the process.
Amen, brother, amen. And I really must thank you, because you reminded me of something that I'd forgotten in all the election frenzy: when we constantly gripe and carp about our bad political leadership, it hurts our testimony and dishonors God.

And I'm very, very guilty of it. Although I'm a conservative, I've been griping, quite loudly, about Bush for several years. But that was wrong of me, and by God's grace I'm gonna knock it off.

And, by God's grace, some of the brethren are gonna have to knock it off when talking about Obama! We'll get lots of practice holding our tongues in the next few years.

I'm not talking about serious, principled objections to policies; I'm talking about saying (as I have said) "I despise Bush," or jabbering about what a bad person Obama is. Let's always stand up for our beliefs, but let's try leaving the personalities out of it.

When I gripe about Bush, in front of unbelievers, they have a right to say, "Why, those Christians are no different from me! They're full of resentment and rebellion, too!"

I've been thinking about I Peter 2:13, 14 all week; but I had forgotten verse 15!

Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.