Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Question KJV sudy bible and footnotes question

Hello!

I am new to this forum, I bought a KJV study Bible about a month ago, when I found out HOW MANY DIFFERENCES and OMMITIONS there were in my NIV bible.

I only read the KJV now, nothing else. I dont want to read versions that ommit and change the Word of God.

The question I have is this: The KJV Bible I bought is a study Bible made by Nelson publishers. And I like all the historical footnotes, and biography footnotes it has in it, it realy gives me a bigger understanding of who people were, and about the history. But who actually made/researched the footnotes???

Was it a team of researchers, or the publisher??

Who gets all of the info for the footnotes, how correect are they???

Thank You
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC@KJV View Post
Hello!

I am new to this forum, I bought a KJV study Bible about a month ago, when I found out HOW MANY DIFFERENCES and OMMITIONS there were in my NIV bible.

I only read the KJV now, nothing else. I dont want to read versions that ommit and change the Word of God.

The question I have is this: The KJV Bible I bought is a study Bible made by Nelson publishers. And I like all the historical footnotes, and biography footnotes it has in it, it realy gives me a bigger understanding of who people were, and about the history. But who actually made/researched the footnotes???

Thank You
Welcome to the forum!

The study notes in Bibles are usually copyrighted by a publisher and many times you can find credit for the compilers and editors of the notes within the Bible. As far as the correctness of them goes, it's hard to say: being that they were likely employed by Nelson, I wouldn't trust them any further than I could throw an F-550 truck. These men have Alexandrian (apostate) tendencies in almost everything they do, so far as to undermine the effectiveness of the Word of God.

For studying the Bible, there is really no greater commentary than the Bible itself. (When I say Bible, I always mean the King James Bible.) If you come up against a word you don't understand, or it seems to be used in a different way than you usually see it, run a word search. Get a good Bible software (MacSword if you're a believer, e-Sword or SwordSearcher if you're a PC user ) and use it. Find the first mention of a word and any other uses of it, and see how the Bible uses them. Context is key.

God bless you in your studies.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 AM

There are notes and references which were put by the translators and historical Cambridge/Oxford editors. They are only additions, and not part of Scripture, nor intended to be the interpretation. The kinds of notes found in Study Bibles and other publishers reflect the doctrinal views of the producers. Some people find the notes helpful for that reason (e.g. the Scofield Bible), but these notes in any Bible are NEVER perfect.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Hello!

Thank You
I personally prefer to only have the Word of God in my Bible. I actually can't even stand the 200 dollar Cambridge reference Bible I use currently. The center column is none other than a glorified retranslation. Ok, so now you know that I have a bit of an idiosyncrasy when it comes to study Bibles. That being said, a lot of Bible Believing brethren use the Scofield study Bible. You can get one of these for a very reasonable (actually, unbeatable) price at: http://lcbplansing.org/Bibles/Study.htm However, I would suggest that you get yourself a good Bible, without the study notes, and then get a good book to help you with whatever you're studying, if you find that you're in need of some cultural/historical context. Just make sure to use extra caution when you go to sources of information outside of the Word of God.

1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Remember that the Bible is the best commentary on the Bible.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Hello!

Thank You
Hello IC@KJV... To your question about the Study Bible you have in your hand. Thomas Nelson pubs has one titled "The King James Study Bible" and "The Open Bible"... What does it say on the spine or the inside Title Page?

"The K.J.S.B." (if that is what you have) shows the names of the men inside the front pages that helped with the Notes and Study helps. Most of them were good guys associated with The Late Pastor Jerry Falwell of Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia, USA---and Liberty University--the college funded/built by Thomas Road Baptist Church. The notes will be of a conservative/fundamental/premillenial/arminian/baptistic point of view.

{If you don't know what those words mean just do the Google and try wikipedia, or visit your local library.}

If it is a "Open Bible" You made a good buy! Great cyclopedic index, and several other helpful things. Excellent study guide for Christians new (or not sure) to the Christian Faith... And rather than telling you what to believe about the "End Times" or "Last Things"...They list the Four main positions and let you decide. The names of the contributors to the notes and introductions to each Book of the Bible will be listed in the front near the Title page.

Keep it (them) and someday when you have some extra $ you might get a plain text Bible also. Cambridge and Trinitarian Bible Society have several to choose from---just make sure you can read the print font--. Hope this helps you.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Hello!

I would like to thank All of You for the helpfull answers.

I have since returned my Nelson KJV study Bible, and am going to get a plain KJV.

Thank You and God Bless
Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Hello!

I would like to thank All of You for the helpfull answers.

I have since returned my Nelson KJV study Bible, and am going to get a plain KJV.

Thank You and God Bless
Cool beans, the Lord bless you as you seek Him in His Word!

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen