Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Good evening everyone.

You know, I am just a simple guy. I read the Bible and ask God to help me understand it. I am not even sure what Calvinism and all that stuff is. But when it comes to what Jesus wants us to do it is pretty simple to me.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

The is the one sure verse where people came to Jesus and asked what God expected or wanted of them. And Jesus responded very simply that we are to believe on Him for salvation.

Some folks call this "easy-believeism" (hope I spelled that right). These folks say, "Oh, you just believe on Christ or ask Him to save you and you think you have eternal life and can live any old way you want!"

Well, they call it easy-believeism, but trusting in Christ only seems very difficult for them!

You know, Jesus is the savour, and he doesn't need our help. And not only does he promise to save us, but he promises to dwell within us.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

And I know I am preaching to the choir, but you know when you are saved. I remember very clearly asking Jesus to come into my heart and forgive all my sins when I was an 11 year old boy many years ago. And you know, I know something happened to me right then, I felt it. I know we are supposed to rely on God's word and not our feelings, but I know I felt when Jesus came into my heart. And I have not been the same since.

Now, I'm not saying I'm a good Christian, I'm not. But I know the Holy Spirit lives in me because he gets after me when I do wrong. Whenever I do wrong He reminds me of the scriptures. If I lie, I hear the Holy Spirit say "Thou shalt not bear false witness". And I have learned from experience and many failures that a Christian cannot be happy unless they obey the Lord. Oh, you can sin all you want, but you will be a very miserable soul.

So, there is nothing "easy" about it.

I think our main duty is first to trust Jesus ourselves for salvation, and then to tell others. That is what we are supposed to do.

I think lots of folks do not understand these following verses.

Matthew 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Matthew 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Folks see these verses and think Christians are supposed to start soup kitchens, collect clothes for the homeless, or visit those in jail. This is the Social Gospel. But I don't think people understand this verse. I believe Jesus was telling us to tell others about Him.

Food- John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Sickness- Matthew 9:12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

Jail- John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

You see, when you tell people about Jesus and they receive Him, then you have fed them the bread of life and they will never hunger again. You have led them to the physician than can cure the sickness of sin we all suffer with. You have set them free from the prison of death.

But Jesus does the work. When the lame and blind came to him they were completely helpless. Jesus healed them all and he didn't need assistance. Salvation is no different. Quit trying to save yourself and let Jesus do it.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Just to add to that - Not everyone knows the exact time or moment they got saved. This is, from my experience, primarily a baptist tradition (I am a Bible beliving baptist, but when I heard the gospel and trusted Christ I wasn't going to church at all, and afterwards, I went back to the church I grew up in, an anglican calvinist church).

I can remember when I started to change and have an interest in the things of God and I went from not-believing (or believing nominally) to believing on Christ, but I can't pinpoint the exact moment. It was sometime during 2001. I've prayed many prayers confessing sin and asking for eternal life (mainly because some baptists said if you can't remember the exact date and time then you aren't saved), but that didn't really change anything.

I've learnt that you can only have assurance if you are right now trusting. I'm not talking about perservering to the end or conditional salvation... but you can only have assurance of salvation right now if you are trusting in Christ right now.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Assurance comes from relying on God's Word. Sometimes we look the wrong direction. We look at ourselves. If we doubt or fear then we worry we might not be saved. I had an issue with that one time and it was very troubling. I was looking the wrong direction. I should have looked to Jesus.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

I know I have eternal life because I know I sincerely asked Jesus to save my soul and forgive my sins. And Jesus promised that in no wise would he cast me out. If I look at myself I see failure. But if I look to Jesus I see a wonderful savior who cannot lie, and never fails.

Reminds me of poor Peter who asked if he could walk out on the water to Jesus. And the Lord gave him permission to walk out. As long as he looked at Jesus he was fine. But when he listened to the wind, and probably even thought it impossible for a man to walk on water, then he began to sink.

But Jesus pulled him up. We are going to fail, but Jesus never fails.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
Assurance comes from relying on God's Word. Sometimes we look the wrong direction. We look at ourselves. If we doubt or fear then we worry we might not be saved. I had an issue with that one time and it was very troubling. I was looking the wrong direction. I should have looked to Jesus.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

I know I have eternal life because I know I sincerely asked Jesus to save my soul and forgive my sins. And Jesus promised that in no wise would he cast me out. If I look at myself I see failure. But if I look to Jesus I see a wonderful savior who cannot lie, and never fails.

Reminds me of poor Peter who asked if he could walk out on the water to Jesus. And the Lord gave him permission to walk out. As long as he looked at Jesus he was fine. But when he listened to the wind, and probably even thought it impossible for a man to walk on water, then he began to sink.

But Jesus pulled him up. We are going to fail, but Jesus never fails.
Amen, Winman! Glory to GOD, who is both our Rock and our Salvation!

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
From a devotional perspective I would say John 15:1-7 gives us truths of discipleship for the church age believer, but from a doctrinal and dispensational perspective I think there is a possibility it applies to the nation of Israel. I'm not hard on this...
Some things to ask yourself.
John 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
  1. Does every branch mean every branch? Jew and Gentile?
  2. Is the seventeenth chapter part of this same discourse?
John 17:20-22 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Forrest,

I just relocated your email address after loosing it. PTL!

Now if I can find Steve's from Ireland.