Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM

I was actually doubting if 'Study Bibles' were necessary especially for those who are not really grown in the knowledge of Christ. And now that I got the answer with Scripture backing up, I no more have to worry about that.
Thank you Bro.George.

I also wanted to ask about Bible study. I want to study the Bible on my own at home (apart from the Bible study I have at church), but I don't know how to do that on my own.
Oh, and is reading Bible daily (say like 1 hour a day and so on) called studying Bible devotionally, and a way of studying Bible?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 AM

Even early on when I first started reading the Bible, the Study Bibles never really interested me.

And once I became familiar with scripture, I knew that I didn’t need one.

We have the Holy Ghost, the Comforter to guide us…nothing can replace that.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM

I found the same problem with study Bibles in my life. I enjoy reference materials on the bookshelf to refer to separately but not while I am studying the Word of God. Good word brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredoheaven View Post
Bro. George thanks for the study. Footnotes or commentary incorporated in the bible makes me weak as a student of the bible because of the two(2) primary reasons:

1. I forget to PRAY for my quiet Study. Usually, I am bound to look right away the comments made by the contibutors. I fail to ask God's guidance in search for His counsel when in fact I need to.

Judges 18:5 And they said unto him, Ask counsel, we pray thee, of God, that we may know whether our way which we go shall be prosperous.

2. I've fallen from the PRACTICE of right dividing. Many times, I've fail in my study either Devotionally and Doctrinally. I love a verse by verse study or expository kind of study but when, I look at my Study bibles then I forget all of these things.

Again thanks...

1 Thessalonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 AM

Default RE: "In Regards To "Study Bibles""

Quote:
Originally Posted by kns215 View Post
I was actually doubting if 'Study Bibles' were necessary especially for those who are not really grown in the knowledge of Christ. And now that I got the answer with Scripture backing up, I no more have to worry about that.
Thank you Bro.George.

Aloha sister,

You asked:
Quote:
"I also wanted to ask about Bible study. I want to study the Bible on my own at home (apart from the Bible study I have at church), but I don't know how to do that on my own."
I have some "guidelines" (ONLY) on how to study the Bible at this link: http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...7&postcount=10

I also have a little longer study on "How To Study The Bible" (in the King James Bible section) on my web site http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/.

I can only outline "How to Study the Bible" with a few basic principles & precepts that should be kept in heart and mind when studying. I do not believe that the study of the Bible can be "systematized". Many men have tried to develop "systems" for studying the Bible, and although some of what they say (write) may be helpful, more often than not, they end up twisting the Scriptures in places - trying to make God's word "FIT" into their "system" rather than just let it speak to their heart and do the work that it is intended for.

I believe that the main purpose for God giving us His words is so that we might KNOW Him, and that we might KNOW "his will" for mankind.

For the lost person (unsaved) the purpose of the word is to draw them to the Lord Jesus Christ, through the "Gospel", and SAVE them:
Quote:
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
For the saved person (born again) the purpose of the word is to change us (saved saints) so that we might "be conformed to the image of His Son":
Quote:
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
The word of God can work IN us, only as much as we allow it to. God does not FORCE us to be "conformed" to "the image of His Son"; and we cannot "conform" to His image through "the works of the flesh"; we can only be "conformed" to His image by "hiding His word in our hearts" and "obeying" it. [Psalms 119:11; Romans 2:8; Galatians 3:1; 5:7; 2 Thessalonians 3:14]

You also inquired about the difference between reading the Bible and studying it:
Quote:
"Oh, and is reading Bible daily (say like 1 hour a day and so on) called studying Bible devotionally, and a way of studying Bible?"
I believe that "reading" the Bible daily gives us our daily sustenance (the necessary spiritual "food" to spiritually live by):
Quote:
Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
So then, we read the Bible to sustain ourselves - spiritually.

On the other hand - we study the Bible to receive God's "approval":
Quote:
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
When we read the Bible we are "feeding" ourselves. When we study the Bible we are "working" for God's "approval" (and the only way we will receive that "approval" is if we "rightly divide the word of truth").

Reading the Bible then = "feeding" ourselves. Whereas studying the Bible = "work" that we do in order to be "approved unto God".

Last edited by George; 05-20-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 AM

Thank you explaining thoroughly, brother George.
I read your "guidelines", and like I replied in that thread, it helped me a lot.
I actually tried to gain the "knowledge" before asking God for the discernment, wisdom, and understanding. So, of course I got confused in many ways and didn't understand much of what I was reading/hearing.
Now I seek God only for understanding and Holy Spirit for the guidance.

And now there's so much "homework" to do.. The joy of being a newbie!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:31 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandy1650 View Post
I personally like and recommend "The New Defender's Study Bible" finished not long before Dr. Henry Morris went home to be with the Lord. Regards.
I have and use this Bible. I think it is the best study Bible out there (followed by the Ryrie study Bible), but it is now out of print and getting hard to find.

I do think a well selected study Bible can be useful so long as the reader kees in mind that the Bible text is God's Word while the studt notes are man's opinion.

One thing that I like about this Bible is that it only comes in the Authorized Version.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey; 06-20-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: To add a thought