General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Yeah, as I said in another topic, I'll probably go with Scofield. I like the Evidence Bible, but there are a lot of things put in the text itself which really distracts from the Holy Word. So, I guess my next question is--What's the difference in reading and study and how much time should one spend in each?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Ok. So stick with the Scofield. Now the next question is, how do I go about reading and studying the Bible? And how much time per day or week to spend in each?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Re: " Yet Another New Member..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
Ok. So stick with the Scofield. Now the next question is, how do I go about reading and studying the Bible? And how much time per day or week to spend in each?
Aloha Buzz,

I notice that you are getting what appears to be some "conflicting advise". My advise to you in my Post #4 (this Thread) still stands, but both pbiwolski and Josh are right (if you take a moment to consider:

I believe that pbiwolski is right - that the Scofield Reference Bible is probably the best Reference Bible out there. And most of Scofield's comments are Biblically sound (ignore the few places where he "corrects" our Holy Bible though).

Scofield can be of some help in rightly dividing the word of God - BUT do not depend on men for your understanding of Scripture!

And this is where brother Josh is also right. You must be extremely careful with all notes and comments in these kinds of Bibles (Scofield's, Thompson's, etc.). That is why I do not use Reference Bibles for reading and study (their OK for REFERENCE purposes only - but not to be relied on for spiritual understanding). The first 15-20 years of my Christian life I used to use them for reference - I no longer use them at all.

I have written a very short study on: "How To Study The Bible" (which is an "outline" on some of the things to look for and be aware of in studying the Bible). You can find the study on my web site at: http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/HOW...E%20-%20WP.htm if you care to check it out.

I do not make any claims that the study is "perfect" or that I am "infallible", but there are some very basic things that every Christian should be aware of when they study the Scriptures, and I have tried to include most of the things that I have learned about studying the Bible after 50 years of being a Christian.

Whatever you do - don't get discouraged in your studies. Setting times (minimum time to read) or amounts (number of pages to read) is artificial and can lead to hurried reading (with little understanding); or discouragement; and possibly even boredom.

The Bible is unlike any other book on earth! It is a "spiritual" Book, and as such, it takes "spiritual understanding" - which only the Holy Spirit can give. Remember: "Bible" Schools, Commentaries, and Reference Bibles can give you Bible "knowledge", but only God can give you Scriptural "discernment", "understanding", and "wisdom".
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Avoid turning your time in the word into a religious exercise. Nothing burns me out faster than feeling like I have to stick to some prescribed regimen when reading the Bible.

But there must be balance: your flesh won't want to read the Book, so you still have to whip it into submission on occasion and start doing it even if you don't want to. (Yes, I know this seems like conflicting advice, but I hope you can understand the point about balance I am trying to make).

Understanding the word is all about the spirit, and you just can't force it. My suggestion is to make yourself start reading, and then read until you feel full. You will never exhaust all that the Book has to offer.

Maybe start reading in the book of John. If a verse perks your interest, run Scofield's cross-references and see what else the Book says. Use a Bible program (I'll leave it to others to suggest which one) to search words and phrases that interest your spirit at the moment. Need some help studying a topic? Post in the doctrine forum with specific questions.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Aloha buzzoff1031,

Of the four Bibles you mentioned you possess, the Old Scofield (boring or not) is the best "study" Bible. I personally do not recommend using "study" Bibles for reading or study.

Since 1970 I have used the best bound King James Bible I could find (with Large enough Print for comfort) without any notes or references - just the Holy words of God. When I study the Bible I have several letter sized Yellow Writing Pads along side, so that I can write down my thoughts or questions on the Scriptures I am studying.

If you are curious about what other people may "think" about a particular verse you might go to the Old Scofield, or a Thompson, or some other reputable King James "study" Bible. But you should not rely on men for the "interpretation" or understanding of God's words. {That's why I don't read or study a Bible with someone else's notes in it, or a Bible with references in it.)

If I want to know what other men "think" about a verse (or subject) in the Bible, I buy their books and read their "opinions". I personally don't like their "opinions" mixed in with the Holy words of God! And I certainly don't rely on other men for my understanding of Scripture.

Please check out a former Post that I made on this Forum last year if you want a further explanation of my position on this issue: http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...39&postcount=1

May God bless you in your studies and give you not only knowledge - but discernment, understanding, and wisdom also.

1 Corinthians 1:5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

Hebrews 5:14
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern

2 Timothy 2:7
Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
both good and evil.

1 Corinthians 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha buzzoff1031,

(with Large enough Print for comfort)
For me reading comfort depends more on the type of font than the size. I've seen Bibles in which the words were large or "extra" large print, but they appeared "fuzzy" or "blurry" (most Nelson Bibles are like this). The best readable font for me is the Ryrie (I pretty much ignore the notes) plus it has good cross references in the margin and room for notes. I also use a Cambridge.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM

Well, since everyone is telling what Bible they like, I'll recommend the Thompson Chain Reference Bible
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I've prayed a lot and I'm just still confused!

The good news?
1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
He will put order in your heart and mind.

I also use the Cambridge King James Bible with no footnotes. And yes, in time you will discover that the Holy Spirit will specifically teach YOU more and more through the written word of God. That does not mean He does not and will not use others, but our final source of authority is His written word preserved in the KJB.

Quote:
Josh wrote: The Holy Spirit will guide you in understanding the Bible.
You can trust God the Holy Spirit to speak to you directly through the written word of God. You should also delight in the fact that as a believer the incarnate Word is in you. "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" (2 Corinthians 13:5). Therefore, you should, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:" (Philippians 2:5).
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
The word of God is "spiritual" and is taught to us by the Holy Spirit. That puts us all on equal ground. You have the word of God. The incarnate Word (Jesus) is in you. And you have the Holy Spirit.
1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Quote:
Brother George wisely wrote: If I want to know what other men "think" about a verse (or subject) in the Bible, I buy their books and read their "opinions". I personally don't like their "opinions" mixed in with the Holy words of God! And I certainly don't rely on other men for my understanding of Scripture.
We certainly have men who teach, but we do not need man's teachings in order to know the truth. Trust God for spiritual understanding and wisdom.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone. I'm glad to be here! I have allowed myself to be confused so badly. I have, like, four different bibles. One is The Evidence Bible. It's a "Comfort-able" KJV, according to them. Another is the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible. It's NKJV. Another is The Student Bible. It's KJV, but some stuff is changed. The last I have is an Old Scofield Bible my mom gave me one year for Christmas. The question is this. If one of these other KJV's changes some of the words, should it be used? For example, The Evidence Bible is supposedly KJV, but it changes thee's, thou's and what not. The NKJV of course, I've read enough on Brandon's page to realize not to use it. I don't know, it just seems like the Scofield one is...and I hate to put it this way, but...boring. Not to mention, The Evidence Bible is awesome as far as helping me share my faith. It's got stuff like scientific facts in the bible, how to witness to different faiths, Answering questions and objections...a lot of stuff. I don't know...what do you guys think? I've prayed a lot and I'm just still confused!
The Evidence Bible is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it is really good with it's information and Q&A portions. But on the other hand, if you read the notes too much, you'll get a skewed view of God as one who only gives out eternal life if man is willing to be good and stop sinning and reform his life (Lordship Salvation). Ray Comfort is a dangerous teacher I believe. He has no clear statement of faith (from what I can find) regarding things like Eternal Security etc. He appears on TV with Word of Faith preachers (Joyce Meyer), and seems to be very ecumenical in nature. This is no surprise. His "Repentance" focused gospel is another gospel which is not another. It's Roman Catholicism in disguise.