Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Larryb, seven times in that chapter of Revelation it mentions 1000 years. Do you take that literally? I will assume you don't.. but for what reason?

If you do take it literally, then the time that the thousand years began could only be the reformation, which means we have about 500 more years until Christ returns.

EDIT: I am addressing Larryb's reformed amillennial theology. I do not believe Christ will come in 500 years, but much much sooner.
WHEW! Can anyone even IMAGINE how PUTRID things would get if it was another 500 years before Christ returns!!!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Wow, this one really took off on a tangent, LOL. However, it's good reading nonetheless.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuby View Post
Wow, this one really took off on a tangent, LOL. However, it's good reading nonetheless.
I kinda figured once larryb posted some reformed theology snippets for the fine folks here...it would liven things up a bit.

I ONLY added a very small cup of fuel to the fire.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 AM

I think it is a sad state of affairs when most Christians believe the history channel, discovery channel and the public education system when they teach evolution. Kent Hovind was instrumental in getting me out of that thought pattern.

The problem is: If one believes that the earth has been here for billions of years, then we have to make the bible fit this false science. This is the number one thing destroying faith in word of God in my opinion and will lead to many......uhh... distorted views of what is so plainly given to us in scripture as fact.

Remember that I am one of those weirdos.

I believe the bible literally unless instructed by the word to do so differently.

6 days of creation = 6000 years
1 day of rest = 1000 years mill. reign.

God likes the number seven a lot!

God seems to be very interested in numbers as well. I started seeing all kinds of things when I started paying attention to numbers.

I don't think God is trying to make it that hard for his creation to understand what he wants us to know. There are some nuggets of wisdom and knowledge in his word that he reveals to us when we study though.

Brother-Smith
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
EDIT: I am addressing Larryb's reformed amillennial theology. I do not believe Christ will come in 500 years, but much much sooner.
Has anyone read Harold Camping's Time Has an End? He is predicting the Second Coming in the fall of 2011.

AMR
Old 07-18-2009, 06:47 AM

Well I have come to the conclusion that 2011 is a good time based on some calculations. but I am not a prophet or a son of a prophet. I based it on a prophecy of Jesus Christ and came up with 2011 as well.

Another man shared with me why he believes it will be 2011 that is because there was 400 years of silence between old and new testaments. and the KJV Bible will be 400 years old in 2011.

What reason does he give for his belief it will be in 2011?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Forum Administrator

I know you folks aren't preaching a date, but there is no profit in speculating about dates for the return of the Lord.
Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
I believe in the imminent return of Christ, but Christ's return was imminent even when Paul was penning Scripture (1Th 4:15).

We are told to "watch" and "be ready." That should be enough.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:27 AM

I hope I don't have to wait that long (2011) . I'm listenin' for the trumpet right now! Watching and praying, serving and studying. I want to be about my Father's business!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Listening for the trumpet

Hello all,

I don't believe in date setting ever since high school in 88'.
I remember sitting in class waiting till 10:15 because that was when it was going to happen. Hmm... didn't happen. (YET!)

I understood at that moment that date setting was not healthy.

That being said, I love the topic and speculation!

I remember reading in James Usher's Annals of the world book that he came up with 4004 B.C. as a starting point for time. Taking into account the change in calendar years between the Jews/Romans, that puts us in the ballpark with a hotdog, doing the seventh inning stretch.

Even future-potential-bloodwashed-believers know something is up. I try to study many different angles to be able to communicate in hopes that a witnessing opportunity might pop up.

Anyone else want to get into a thread along these lines?

Brother-Smith
Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
Has anyone read Harold Camping's Time Has an End? He is predicting the Second Coming in the fall of 2011.

AMR
Brothers AMR & Chette,

It could happen then. I'm open to God's timetable. I'm not going to be setting any dates myself. Like Brother Tim says - WATCH and be READY.

The fools who have predicted dates - even HOURS - lost their credibility. It is foolishness to be so specific. Speculation is OK. Just don't pin it down to IT WILL HAPPEN - just keep it at "MAY." That's good enough.

Brother Brandon - I don't think that giving a very general time period of "Fall of 2011" is preaching a DATE. The Lord said we will not know the HOUR or DAY. He didn't say we will not know the SEASON or YEAR. I don't see anything wrong with knowing the SEASONS and being READY. We can't just close our eyes and not see all that is happening around us and say, "NAH! He's not coming now!" The truth is we don't know! But the Lord did tell us that we could have an INDICATION of when these things might occur.

Jassy