Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I just had to sit through a chapel service at school. I remembered today why I stopped going.

Rev. Ann Thompson () gave the "talk". It was about how god (I use little g, her god is not my God) is calling the churches to live peacably with his creation, and how this is god's will for our lives. She quoted Genesis 1, from the "Ann Thompson" version, which removed every single reference to day, and added in day 5 being good, despite God not saying that it was. Then she talked about some "walk for life" for 10 minutes, which is some environmental rubbish. My whole school is turning into an environmental circus. I felt like standing up and saying "this is all well and good, but I think God cares more about your soul than his earth, since he BURNS IT UP in Revelation 20". I need to get a Bible study started here or something. It's something I have been praying about for a while. I am in good favour with the principal, so I need to speak to her about it.
1Co 16:9 For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries.
2Co 2:12 Furthermore, when I came to Troas to preach Christ’s gospel, and a door was opened unto me of the Lord,
Col 4:3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

It sounds to me like either you will either leave this school or it will leave you. I think you should redeem the time you have to do as much as you can. That don't sound very "positive", does it brother? I think a door has been opened to you, perhaps for change. I don't believe in fate, absolute predestination, Kismet, whatever. I don't believe God is a Big Puppeteer either, pulling people's strings. But I think He has opened a door for you to go through.

One day a Sunday School teacher named Edward Kimball made a decision. He had a young teen student, very inquisitive young man. Kimball got up and went into the shoe store this young man worked in. He witnessed the gospel of Christ to this young man, who accepted it.

The young man was Dwight Moody.

We throw a rock in the pond and we don't see the ripples always.

I'll pray for you.

Grace and peace.

Tony
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 AM

Brother Luke,

I had no idea you were a teacher, which subjects, might I ask?
I'm not sure you need to leave the school over this matter.
I think that Bro. Parrish's idea of perhaps taking over or contributing to chapel will bear much fruit, and if persecution comes for the sake of the Truth, then you will have ought to rejoice. Perhaps you are in that environment in order to make a difference.
If all Christians just did home-schooling, go to and from Church and worked in Christian-only environments, we wouldn't be much help to this world. We look after our own in order to go to the world with the Gospel.

I too work in a 100% secular workplace, and it really gets to me at times, like I'm not making any difference here, none of these guys are interested in the Truth, moreover they laugh at it, blashpheme, or mock and shun me.
Yet I am here, perhaps to be the only light to these guys. Most days, I find this place saps the spiritual energy right out of me, but I must not give up, for we can be constantly renewed by the Holy Spirit, if we submit to it.

I remember the last 'sermon' I heard from a woman, and it too was laughable.
Something about how our rebirth through baptism is like a woman giving birth: it was really wishy-washy and feminist to say the least.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainBibleBeliever514 View Post
Brother Luke,

I had no idea you were a teacher, which subjects, might I ask?
I'm not sure you need to leave the school over this matter.
I think that Bro. Parrish's idea of perhaps taking over or contributing to chapel will bear much fruit, and if persecution comes for the sake of the Truth, then you will have ought to rejoice. Perhaps you are in that environment in order to make a difference.
If all Christians just did home-schooling, go to and from Church and worked in Christian-only environments, we wouldn't be much help to this world. We look after our own in order to go to the world with the Gospel.

I too work in a 100% secular workplace, and it really gets to me at times, like I'm not making any difference here, none of these guys are interested in the Truth, moreover they laugh at it, blashpheme, or mock and shun me.
Yet I am here, perhaps to be the only light to these guys. Most days, I find this place saps the spiritual energy right out of me, but I must not give up, for we can be constantly renewed by the Holy Spirit, if we submit to it.

I remember the last 'sermon' I heard from a woman, and it too was laughable.
Something about how our rebirth through baptism is like a woman giving birth: it was really wishy-washy and feminist to say the least.
Great counsel.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Default Re: " The Worst Sermon I ever heard"

Quote:
"It sounds to me like either you will either leave this school or it will leave you. "
Aloha brother tonybones 2112,

Amen brother, I agree with you 100%. {on this particular issue}
Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha brother tonybones 2112,

Amen brother, I agree with you 100%. {on this particular issue}
George, I think you will agree also that how well Luke's offer and how well his message if he gives one is received is in direct proportion to how much it crimps someone's cash flow. I attended, though I was not a member of, a large church that also had a school, grades 1-12. There was a constant flow of one "christian" college after another up on stage in blatant recruitment presentations, none that I saw supported the inspiration of any bible we have in our hands while the pastor constantly professed that the KJV in his hands was the inspired word of God. Also one Sword Of The Lord "conference" after another with the accompanying book tables, and they were not small. We know where their bible was in the 1980s also.

I will pray Luke will effect a change perhaps, yet the closer to the truth we proclaim the farther from the cashflow we get. Whether it's a "christian" college, "christian" school, or "christian" hamburger, the bottom line is still the cashflow. The place however we think we do not need to be may be just the place.

Grace and peace

Tony

Last edited by tonybones2112; 03-19-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: punctuation typo
Old 03-19-2009, 06:04 PM

It's a presbyterian boarding school.

There is zero calvinism in it, and it's presbyterian in name only. Oh, how I would love it if it were calvinist. At least they would stand for God's holiness and righteousness and not be concerned about whether we cut down too many trees.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:

There is zero calvinism in it, and it's presbyterian in name only. Oh, how I would love it if it were calvinist. At least they would stand for God's holiness and righteousness and not be concerned about whether we cut down too many trees.

Luke, you and I don't know each other. You are a very caring Christian, a gentleman, an educator, I'm a street thug. I bet you and I have two things in common though right off:

Col 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Grace and peace to you and may God open this door for you, I know you'll do and say the right things.

Tony
Old 03-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
My Dad boarded at one of those in his college days back in the early 1960's- St Kentigern College, Pakuranga, Auckland. He's still unsaved