General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 PM
IM4given

Default Frugal Living

I guess I am the antithesis of the "Prosperity Gospel" that is so prevalaent in apostate churches worldwide. Yes, I do believe God loves us and wants to bless us, but I believe God's blessings are quite often spritual blessings rather than material blessings. I see the Prosperty Gospel as nothing more than a "Christianized" version of that old covetous game of Keeping Up with the Joneses' - I see brothers and sisters fighting to display their wealth (and sinking themselves deeply into debt) to somehow "prove" that God loves them MORE than the other person!

I sincerely believe in these verses:

1Timothy 6:7 For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out.

1Timothy 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

As long as I have food on my table, clothes on my back, and a dry roof over my head I am content - I do not spend one moment of my time whining or complaining about all the things I do not have or wish I had, nor do I look at all the store sale circulars and think that its okay to run out and buy something just because "it's on sale."

To be honest, my family (especially my sister) thinks I am some kinda nut because I am like this. Is it wrong to believe this way or is it something worthy to aspire to live a frugal and simple life?

(My one luxury is this computer that I bought when I had my home based business last year.)
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 PM
ok.book.guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM4given View Post
I guess I am the antithesis of the "Prosperity Gospel" that is so prevalaent in apostate churches worldwide. Yes, I do believe God loves us and wants to bless us, but I believe God's blessings are quite often spritual blessings rather than material blessings. I see the Prosperty Gospel as nothing more than a "Christianized" version of that old covetous game of Keeping Up with the Joneses' - I see brothers and sisters fighting to display their wealth (and sinking themselves deeply into debt) to somehow "prove" that God loves them MORE than the other person!

1Timothy 6:7 For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out.

As long as I have food on my table, clothes on my back, and a dry roof over my head I am content - I do not spend one moment of my time whining or complaining about all the things I do not have or wish I had, nor do I look at all the store sale circulars and think that its okay to run out and buy something just because "it's on sale."

To be honest, my family (especially my sister) thinks I am some kinda nut because I am like this. Is it wrong to believe this way or is it something worthy to aspire to live a frugal and simple life?

(My one luxury is this computer that I bought when I had my home based business last year.)

Wonderful stuff sister. You set a good example of a christian. I agree with and admire your life style. I love the scriptural backing you give to your life style. Way to go!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 PM

I do not disagree with my Sister at all, but I do find my self in a little different situation, to sum it up I buy bulk, to save money.

I admire her frugal life style.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 AM
IM4given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibletotingunslinger View Post
I do not disagree with my Sister at all, but I do find my self in a little different situation, to sum it up I buy bulk, to save money.

I admire her frugal life style.
There are certain things that I do buy in bulk when I can - like soaps, shampoo, and toilet paper. I know I will use these things and it is nice to have like a 6 months supply of such things. I have been stockpiling food supplies of late too, because I think the economy is tanking. It is only going to get worse after the elections.

I believe in trusting God to supply all my need, Phil. 4:19, but who is to say that He does not want us to store things up for the future? Even in Egypt, he put Joseph in position to stockpile grain against the great famine, didn't he?

I have switched to using olive oil for health reasons, but it is expensive and I can barely afford it. However yesterday I was grocery shopping and the store had certain bottles of olive oil on sale - $3.50 off each bottle - so I bought two of them, and they will last me a very long time. I only use it for stir frying meats and vegetables.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Why I Eyes Ya!

IM4given,

What an inspiration! All I can say is that my spiritual walk with Him was a lot closer when I had less possessions. That being said, I thank Him every day for the roof over my head, food in my belly, and a beautiful wife.

I guess it's not so much earthly possessions that are the problem, as the level of 'value' and prominence we give them.

Thankyou for your post; it certainly has made me think!

God Bless,

Yours in Him,

Rob (W.I.E.Y)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM4given View Post

Aloha sister,

May God bless you.

You have just described my wife of 47 years! Don't let anyone talk you out of your convictions.

Yours for the Lord Jesus Christ and for His Holy Word,

George
Old 04-03-2008, 07:10 PM

The testimony of IM4given reminds me of one Christian. In my place, sailors are often considered "rich". This Christian, who is a ship captain, bought his church a piano, but he bought a small cheap keyboard for his children. He helped his church buy a jeepney, but his children literally walk to school.

Last edited by Biblestudent; 04-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Say that a very rich man is converted to Christianity, say Donald Trump, and he wanted to follow and honor God no matter the cost. Should he give all of his possessions (and passive income sources),a and live in a humble place, or is it enough to live richly while giving joyfully?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Paul says, "Evey man as HE PURPOSETH in his heart, so LET him give." I can't answer for others.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

I thought so, thank you, Biblestudent.