Current Events Current events, including politics and culture.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Scaramouche

Jerry, you didn't state who you were replying to but I'll assume it's me. If not, I apologize.

"In the OT, the believer were to defend their families and homes, their countries. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate that we are no longer to do this."

***This is not exactly true.
In the OT the Jews were used by God as His instrument of justice against all the ungodly idolators in the land. Regarding the NT, I don't see any verse telling us to defend anything, much less our country which is at odds with God's Word in so many respects.

Remember that the Bible says our citizenship is in Heaven...not on Earth.

"You agree that governments have the right to wield the sword. Well, our governments use the armies and navies, etc. to make terrorists and wicked countries pay for their crimes."

***Careful, our country has created some of those terrorists. That would make us just as guilty and hypocritical to boot.

"If you are part of that army, then you are wielding the sword they have given you to fulfill their purpose."

***That's my point, exactly. We shouldn't be a part of that or any other Earthly army because the armies of this world exist to fulfill the dictates of the world's government. Again, all world governments are at odds with God so we can't be fulfilling the will of God by fighting against "our neighbors" who the Bible says we are to care for and demonstarte the love of God to.

Paul says in Philippians 2:15 that we are to be "blameless and harmless, the sons of God..." This is a direct reference to The Sermon On The Mount where Jesus says "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." You cannot be a peacemaker while engaging in acts of war.
War doesn't bring about peace, it may supress violence for a time but it doesn't bring about peace. WW1 and 2 should've taught us that.

I honestly cannot find one reference of Jesus telling His disciples to fight and carry on warfare but I can find dozens of Him saying to "be gentle as doves", "resist not evil", "put away your sword", "love your enemies and bless them that curse you", etc.

What the government does is it's business. What the one who names the Name of Jesus does, is God's.
While God usues earthly government to carry out His will, I don't see Jesus calling us anywhere to assist God and harm the very people that He bled and died for.

I hope none of that sounded brash. I didn't mean for it to.