Current Events Current events, including politics and culture.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:41 PM

Default Ecumenism or something else?

I have an aunt that is a benedictine nun. On her facebook page she is in this ecumenical group. This kinda hit a hot spot with me at that moment, because just that night I watched a video of a bunch of religious hot shots (the dahli lama, some diet catholic guy, a jewish rabbi that talked like a homosexual, two muslims, a sikh, and of course a benedictine nun) talking about the world and its problems etc. I felt sick to be honest watching the whole thing. The Spirit stirred inside me the whole time with "2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" I kept wondering, which leads me to my question, is this Ecumenism or is this something entirely different and far worse? I mean, I hear lots of preaching on why we conservatives don't yoke ourselves in doing the Lord's work with charismatics and papists, but to be yoked together with other religions!? Can anyone direct me to anything (videos, books, articles) that addresses this sort of thing that I could use in a write up on this aberrant behaviour?

Oh and one last question, perhaps I should give this its own thread but since it fits with this whole fiasco I'll leave it here for now. Are Roman Catholics going to spend eternity in heaven or hell? I ask this because I want to say that those that have faith in Christ Jesus will go to heaven, but... *sigh* This is tough, because I need to know if I should be putting more effort into witnessing to my aunt.

Any feedback is welcome of course. Chette, I also welcome whatever you have to say.

Much Love in Christ,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Roman Catholics are going to hell unless they turn away from The Idolatrous worship of the queen of heaven, quit asking forgiveness of sins from a "man" who asks another "man" who asks another man "man" cease from vain repetitions in prayers, practising sacraments and a stream of other stuff contrary to the Gospel of Christ and TURN to Christ "alone" as their means of salvation by Grace through faith, not of works, lets any man should boast.
As far as ecumenism goes, without going into a whole essay about it right now its based on a message of "Lets all get along" and plagued with statements like "But sure we all worship the same god at the end of the day" its social gospel and its very very wrong, the Catholics most certainly dont worship the God I do
"ecumenism," which is defined as "the organized attempt to bring about the cooperation and unity of all believers in Christ." it has compromised essential doctrines

Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Examples of those involved in ecumenism below (Google for info)
(ECT) Evangelicals and Catholics Together
Freemasonry (I have family involved in this, it is evil)
The New Age Movement
Baha'i World Faith
Pro-Life Movement
Pop-Psychology
Promise Keepers

2 John 1:9
"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son"

Final authority has been reduced to opinions and preferences and not the Holy Book Of God

Finally Stephen....witness to your aunt Brother, she is not saved.

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 09-09-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: copied the wrong verse in biblegateway, must get swordsearcher!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
Roman Catholics are going to hell unless they turn away from The Idolatrous worship of the queen of heaven, quit asking forgiveness of sins from a "man" who asks another "man" who asks another man "man" cease from vain repetitions in prayers, practising sacraments and a stream of other stuff contrary to the Gospel of Christ and TURN to Christ "alone" as their means of salvation by Grace through faith, not of works, lets any man should boast.
As far as ecumenism goes, without going into a whole essay about it right now its based on a message of "Lets all get along" and plagued with statements like "But sure we all worship the same god at the end of the day" its social gospel and its very very wrong, the Catholics most certainly dont worship the God I do
"ecumenism," which is defined as "the organized attempt to bring about the cooperation and unity of all believers in Christ." it has compromised essential doctrines

Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Examples of those involved in ecumenism below (Google for info)
(ECT) Evangelicals and Catholics Together
Freemasonry (I have family involved in this, it is evil)
The New Age Movement
Baha'i World Faith
Pro-Life Movement
Pop-Psychology
Promise Keepers

2 John 1:9
"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son"

Final authority has been reduced to opinions and preferences and not the Holy Book Of God

Finally Stephen....witness to your aunt Brother, she is not saved.
Thank you so much. I actually posted the article you got that list from on my FB page. She took the bait and commented. Of course her reasoning for supporting ecumenism is unbiblical. She has never quoted Scripture when she speaks with me. I will contine to shine the light for her in hopes she sees it and turns to Jesus Christ.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
Old 09-09-2008, 10:43 PM

I just responded to my aunts comments on the article on Ecumenism.

Dear Jennifer,

Everything I do now in my life I hold up in light of God's Word (AV 1611). If someones teachings and beliefs don't align with the teachings and doctrines I find within God's Word then I cannot be unequally yoked with them in doing the Lord's work.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

However, I will work with those whose faith is solidly built upon God's Word. A good example of this is the fact that I myself am a Conservative Mennonite (Eastern Pennsylvannia Mennonite Church) yet I attend an Independant Fundamental Baptist Church in town since my home Church is 4 hours away. We all believe that the only way to God is through Jesus Christ, not Mary, not any saint, not Joseph Smith, nor Buddha, nor any man that ever lived (nor do we pray or bend the knee to any but GOD). The only way to God is through Christ Jesus our Lord. We all believe this, and therefore there can be fellowship between us. We also believe that God's Word (the KJB) is the only authority on all matters of faith and practice. We all believe this, and therefore can have fellowship. We all believe that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Again, we all believe this and therefore we can have fellowship. You may be wondering where I am going with this. I will get to the point since I could ramble all night. I have read countless articles on what you Catholics believe (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp is a good example of my point). If you truly believe any of these things, then you have a very loose definition of what makes someone a Christian. I'm sorry to have to tell you these things. I would love to just ignore the fact that you as a Catholic, believe the things you do, but I can't. I love you, so much in fact, that I'm willing to tell you the truth.

Matthew 10:35-38 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

2 John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son

I refuse to be wishy washy concerning my alliegence and faith in Jesus Christ. The Truth belongs to God, the mistakes of my past are mine. I'm just thankful He's forgiven me through the blood of Jesus Christ.

To make a potentially long message short, there should not be fellowship between Catholics and Christians in doing the Lord's work. You will not see it this way of course. However, when you come to place the Word of God in a position that it 'alone' governs you life in the way that it should, you will.

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

for Jesus sake,
Stephen
ENDQUOTE

I desperately need prayers my brothers and sisters. This letter is not going to go over lightly. My grandfather (a presbyterian minister, and staunch ecumenist) will hear of this. My father and mother will then hear of it. I imagine everyone in the family will hear that I am some sort of Catholic basher. But these things are not what concern me. What concerns me is that a woman I love (she's a very special aunt to me) needs to repent of her alliegence to the Pope and the heresies of that religion. She is DEEP into that religion. She's a teacher, a nun, and about as active of a Catholic as one can get. She has attacked me on FB before for what she deems as being harsh or unloving (you know, "your words aren't very loving" etc...). I don't want to argue or fight with her, nor with anyone. But the truth is the truth, and I will not try to deny it. Not even for family.

Much Love in Christ,
Stephen
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Stephen, brother.. .when the Gospel of the LORD Jesus Christ has been presented to a person and they openly reject it, shake the dust off your shoes as a testimony. You cannot keep going through the motions of debate vs argument and back again, it will only serve to hurt you spiritually. Do not worry about what you family say, your LORD is more important!
The fact is that the majority of Catholics will not be able to quote you one piece of scripture. Some people are trying to "work" their way into heaven and the sad fact of ecumenism is that to bring all those "religions" "together" is to say that, through compromise there must be another way to heaven than by faith in Christ alone, and that's simply not true, its all part of apostasy my friend.

Matthew 10:14
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.