Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 AM

Default "Inspired" or "Given by inspiration"?

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (KJV)

VERSUS

2 Timothy 3:16 Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness. (ASV)

The ASV is wrong in at least two points:
1. In saying, "Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable...", the ASV implies some part of Scripture is not inspired.
2. In changing "given by inspiration" to "inspired", the true doctrine of the inspiration of Scriptures is lost.

There is a big difference in meaning between "given by inspiration" and "inspired". (Thanks to Dr. Ruckman in his book The Christian's Handbook of Biblical Scholarship, Chapter 10.)

I'm not advocating that saying "inspired" is wrong, but I believe the KJV translators accuretaly translated theopneustos as "given by inspiration". I believe the phrase gives us an accurate concept concerning the doctrine of inspiration.

The following are words associated with "inspiration":

1. BREATH

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, And the breath of the Almighty giveth me life.

2. SPIRIT

Ezekiel 37:9 Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.
Ezekiel 37:14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

3. MOUTH

Psalms 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Therefore, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God" means:

1. All Scripture is given by the BREATH of God.
2. All Scripture is given by the SPIRIT of God.
3. All Scripture is given by the MOUTH of God.

This concept shows how inspiration cannot be limited to the originals but that the copy of Scripture (KJV) that we have in our hands is the very word BREATHED by God, authored by the SPIRITof God, and came out from the very MOUTH of God.