General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Back in the 40's & 50's (not the 1840's or 50's ) there used to be "TRADE SCHOOLS" - where people who weren't "academically inclined" could go and learn something PRACTICAL & USEFUL (like a "Trade"). Nowadays many children (especially boys) struggle with the dull, boring, and uninteresting curriculum that is foisted (read - forced) on them by the educational elitists who profess to know, all there is to know, including what is "best" for everyone else.
Aloha, Brother George!

One of our deacons tells his son that he doesn't have to go to proceed to a four-year college course if he's not interested with any. He can just enter a two-year mechanic course, start a shop, and help in our jeepney ministry. He will be able to earn more money than finishing a four-year course he's not interested or not have a talent in.

On Swordsearcher, I'm glad to have one. It's a big help to me in finding verses I'm losing from my memory. Do any one have any tip (or some more advice) on how to maintain good memory?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-27-2008, 01:08 PM

In our school program, we do not "build up" the learning by adding new verses to that which has been learned. Instead, we read to entire passage aloud 3 times daily, at the beginning of class, at lunch, and when we dismiss. This has been far more effective for us than building verse upon verse. We also take one verse a day to learn with understanding during devotions.

You noticed that you knew the earlier verses well, and observed that you had reviewing them longer. I would suggest that you practice the entire passage as a whole, instead of learning several verses at a time. It comes together more slowly, but in the end you likely will do better.

An encouragement with I John. We use I, II, and III John as an annual memory passage every 5-6 years. I have had a number of students complete the memory work by chapter, and several who have said all seven chapters together at once (3 or less small errors allowed-no coaching). It is a very learnable part of the Scriptures.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
Do any one have any tip (or some more advice) on how to maintain good memory?
Lets see: Don't move, have children, drink Dr. Pepper or age? Yeup, I think that about covers it.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
Lets see: Don't move, have children, drink Dr. Pepper or age? Yeup, I think that about covers it.

Haha, yup. I also try to eat lots of tacos with plenty of avacado. ^_^ Oh and another thing, don't try to do memory work after you eat. This never works for me. Hamburger Helper is the worst! ROFL.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 07-27-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
In our school program, we do not "build up" the learning by adding new verses to that which has been learned. Instead, we read to entire passage aloud 3 times daily, at the beginning of class, at lunch, and when we dismiss. This has been far more effective for us than building verse upon verse. We also take one verse a day to learn with understanding during devotions.

You noticed that you knew the earlier verses well, and observed that you had reviewing them longer. I would suggest that you practice the entire passage as a whole, instead of learning several verses at a time. It comes together more slowly, but in the end you likely will do better.

An encouragement with I John. We use I, II, and III John as an annual memory passage every 5-6 years. I have had a number of students complete the memory work by chapter, and several who have said all seven chapters together at once (3 or less small errors allowed-no coaching). It is a very learnable part of the Scriptures.
Way cool. I can't wait till I have Jude cemented well enough to just recite it with maybe a couple errors. I think I'll be there in a month of review.

Much love brother,
Stephen
Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 AM

When I was thirteen I memorized Jn 1:1-14 and it came together well, I still remember it, but I memorized it from the Catholic Bible and so even to this day I have a problem with certain verses. I also did the same for Mt 6:9-13 (1/2) Took me many years to remember: "for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen."

In my youth (grammer school) we had to memorize a lot, we learned a lot of verses by repition, day after day, sometimes weeks and months, and always reviews. If one has the time and ability, and the inclination, it is possible to memorize both verses and references. A lot of times several verses go together. It is best to memorize them as such.

We have a very close friend that can recite verses with scripture references, he can just peal them of his tongue, but it is only in his head and not in his heart, because he does not apply any of it to himself. Better for us to hide a few words in our hearts and keep them then a whole book if we do not obey them.

I Christ Love,
Renee
Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 AM

I agree with Renee. It is far better to have a clear understanding of and obedience to the teachings rather than just memorization of the words. With enough practice we might be able to memorize the Slobavian National Anthem, but none of us would know what it meant. Be reminded that the Pharisees knew vast amounts of the Old Testament Law and Psalms by memory but not by heart.

We emphasize memorization for our students for several reasons. It is a good training for any area of knowledge. It is a method of motivation. We hope that some of it sticks and like Renee, they will be to recall it later.

By the way, Stephanos, you asked about things that might improve memory. I heard a radio advertisement the other day about a pill that guaranteed memory gain, but I can't remember the name of it. (drum shot sound effect here.)
Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 AM

I don't think it is possible for a true believer to not be changed from the inside out by the Word of God, whether he simply reads it each day or diligently memorizes each day. I know from just doing Jude that the Spirit brings certain verses into my mind at various times, truth be told it is usually to convict me of something I'm doing that I shouldn't be. This hurts, but at the same time I believe it is good for me.

Psalms 119:9-16 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes. With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

One of the things I believe I will accomplish by memorizing the Scriptures is finding new strength to resist the temptation to sin. I am at a point in my life in Christ where my sin is beginning to be more and more obvious. Some sins I find easier to put away, while others I battle every day. Oh if only I could find peace from this battle! At one point in my walk with Christ I let my sin get in between us. NEVER will I allow this to happen again. I will be diligent, and hold on to the hope I have in Christ Jesus this time. I also believe that the Word will give me the tools I need to stand in righteousness and to keep from giving into the temptation of mine own flesh.

Brother Tim, a pill you say? Hehe, I'm going to stick to my diet of tacos and Reese's Pieces for now. I'll let you know how that turns out

Much Love in Christ,
Stephen
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 PM

Stephanos,

You will find it a hard to impossible task to resist the temptaion to sin as long as you are the one trying to do it even if you do it by memorizing scripture.

best to let the Holy Ghost be your strength by you reckoning your self dead to sin (by his leading) and alive to Christ, do not yield yourself to sin but yield yourself unto God as an instrument of righteousness(by his leading), and Judge yourself daily(by his leading) I think you can find the references easy enough.

I simply start my day asking God to forgive me, fill me and possess me with His Holy Ghost it is amazing as I finish the day in prayer and I find I went through the day without bad thoughts, heart and sin. And then all Glory goes to God and Jesus Christ and not to me for doing all i can. but letting Him do all He can.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:56 AM

What a great topic thread.

I recently decided to undertake some scripture memorization. The first (recent) spurring was the evangelism course I'm taking. Each lesson has one scripture verse to learn, and so far so good. The course employs the comfortable-KJ, but I just change it to the pure Word, and it always goes better, I've asked the class to use the AV for this as well.

Then one day I met a brother while trying to witness on the downtown streets of Montreal. Meeting him was special, he was totally on fire, but kind of a solo act, doesn't belong to a church per se. The most amazing thing was that in about 1 hour, he quoted me at least 60 verses with reference. Naturally, I took a peek at his battered Bible, and of course it was a KJB. When I asked him about this, he spoke of having been given a gift of retention. I know this isn't a term found in scripture, perhaps that's just what he called it, but he claimed to be able to quote 350+ verses with reference from the NT. I was encouraged to seek out this ability.

As for knowing the references or not, I think that if your witnessing to a non-believer, hunting around for something to back yourself up, or vaguely claiming that its in there somewhere, causes them to either loose interest, or doubt you and the Word. The Bible is the final authority, Amen, we should be able to wield it with all confidence and cadence.

Now I'm just a baby in this, but have none the less been diligently reading and absorbing scripture for the last two years, and I find that so many scriptures come to mind all the time, thanks to the Holy Spirit. But I definatly want to have a more confident resource in my heart for witnessing, and for personal correction and encouragement.

Thirdly, I heard a teaching on memorizing scripture by Scott Strobel. I'm sure there is lots of teaching out there, but I'll toss this one in; it might be helpful for someone else out there:

http://www.biblebelievers.com/realaudio/str2.ra

I decided to start with simply memorizing the books of the Bible in order, and I have that down pat in a week. I have compiled a huge text file with verses and passages I want to memorize, so I'll get down to it and post back sometime how its going.