Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Bro. Parrish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
I too love the Book of Hebrews. I plan to order Peter Ruckman's commentary. I am sure I will glean much, even if I do not agree completely with everything he says.
Well amen sister, I hope you enjoy it.
And I don't think any of us agrees completely with any man on everything, so no worries there. Over the years I have even found ways to disagree with myself!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
  #22  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
tonybones2112's Avatar
tonybones2112 tonybones2112 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
I would not categorize it as an "attack" on Hebrews. This is a respected friend who has questions and wonders if Hebrews belongs with the Apocrypha in its present form. He wonders if there was an original text that has been tampered with. Revelation warns that such tampering with the Scriptures would take place, and we see it in the Alexandrian texts. Could it have happened with Hebrews? I would say, "Not if God preserved His Word and kept it free from error" which is my belief.

Therefore, rather than insult the intelligence of those who see problems in the text (and he is not the only one), let us answer their challenges respectfully...and maybe win over more converts to KJV Bible preservation.

Shalom,

Tandi

Here are some of the "problems" that my friend would like to see resolved:

Factual Problems:

7:27 Apparent contradiction between Hebrews and Torah on frequency of sin offering
9:4 Apparent misplacing of altar of incense
9:4 Apparent problem with manna in the ark
9:4 Apparent problem with Aaron's rod in the ark
9:19 Apparently differs with Torah on usage of goats.
9:19 Apparently differs with Torah on presence of water.
9:19 Apparently differs with Torah on scarlet wool.
9:19 Apparently differs with Torah on hyssop.
9:19 Apparently the book was not sprinkled in Torah.
9:21 Apparently a lot of things were anointed with oil and not blood.
10:11 Apparent contradiction with Torah on frequency of sin offering.

Theological Difficulties to be resolved (partial list)

1:14 seems to imply angel of YHWH is not Yeshua
2:10 apparently claims Messiah had to be perfected
2:16 apparently denies Yeshua is angel of YHWH
5:8 apparently implies Messiah learned obedience by suffering
9:15 apparently confuses covenant with a will
9:23 apparently teaches sacrifices (plural) needed to cleanse heaven
10:14 apparently teaches perfection of the spirit

Other problems:

The Question of non-Pauline authorship
The Question of absence from earliest canonical lists
The Apostate Status of the proto-Catholic Church that canonized the book.
Tandy, I was not the one who said anyone was "attacking" the book of Hebrews, it was you, here is a quote from your initial message:

"Some have challenged the Book of Hebrews as containing factual errors. Has this topic been dealt with here? Could you direct me to the discussion or other resources in defense of the Epistle to the Hebrews?"

There is a rule of English grammar known as the Antithecal Proposition. This is a foundation tenet for Deductive Reasoning and also a platform for what is known as Occam's Razor. You make the request for discussion or resources that you can use "in defense" of Hebrews. All things being equal, we must deduce you are saying that the sum total of these "factual error" allegations constitutes an attack. and that is the foundation I spoke from.

One thing I have noticed in your replies to me is that you read assumptions into what I say when I reply to you. Our road to friendship and fellowship will be paved on the simple stones of you just taking me at face value without any ambiguities of ulterior motives.

I'm trying to help.

A demonstration of an Antithecal Proposition is the correct interpretation of the passage below, the understanding given by the Holy Spirit:

2Ti 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

What specifically, are these "youthful lusts"? Paul does not say specifically, however he does give the antithesis, the opposite of these "lusts" as the cure, neutralization, the negation of these sinful conditions, and we can say with confidence that these "youthful lusts" are:

1. Unrighteousness-righteousness
2. Unfaithfulness-faith
3. Selfishness-charity
4. Disorder-peace
5. These conditions arise out of an impure heart, while fleeing them will ensure a purity of heart.

As I said, you mentioned you needed a defense, I deduced you were faced with an attack.

I'm not going to address the specific OT precepts related to Hebrews that you've delineated for three reasons: Others have expressed a desire to work on the questions for you, I do not wish to step on their toes. Secondly after examining your friend's objections and "problems" I can see no objections or problems, and certainly it is not within my intellectual capacity to solve problems I cannot see. Thirdly, I am a dispensationalist, and as noted in your other relies to me, dispensationalism is a dirty word with you. I can offer you no "solution" or indeed purpose for the book of Hebrews as these solutions are arrived at by right division that Paul defines in Ephesians 3("times past", "but now", "ages to come"). All Scripture is profitable for doctrine and Hebrews, like Leviticus and James, are written "for" me but not "to" me. Hebrews is Paul's letter to HEBREWS, time period is the onset of the Great Tribulation. Hebrews is rich in doctrine, unfortunately for many, Hebrews is not doctrinally applicable to the Body of Christ in the present age of Grace. There is no present "priesthood of believers", the "priesthood" is the 144,000 in Revelation. I can find nothing in Paul's teachings that I am a priest of anything. I am not a priest, I am part of the Great High Priest's Body. There are people in Hebrews who fall away and cannot be renewed unto repentence, this contradicts Paul's quite clear statement on our Eternal Security in Romans 8. It's unfortunate that my replies are distasteful due to my dispensational insistence on right division, but that's the only way I know to reply to you, or anyone.

I will reply to the three "problems" that actually form the foundation of your friend's questioning the Scriptures, based on internal evidence of the Scriptures:

Question 1- Paul was the author of Hebrews:

Philippians 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews’ religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

II Timothy 1:2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
Philemon 1:1 Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,
Heb 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.

The solution to the authorship of Hebrews by Paul is that he was the only apostle qualified to write it. Barnabas, Apollos, or any other of the apostles and disciples, who Hebrews is attributed to, were great and mighty witnesses for the Lord Jesus Christ. None of them had the necessary knowledge and experience in Jewish Law and history, coupled with the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ as the centerpiece of the Old Testament and the similitude of, that the apostle Paul had. The mentioning of Timothy(a similitude of the present Body of Christ:Jewish mother, Gentile father) is revealing, as revealing as the mystery of the present Body, where Jews and Gentiles would be equal was given to Paul and no one else before Paul.

There are much Church "Fathers" speculation on the authorship of Hebrews. If the Church "Father" Pentium speculates that Platypus, brother-in-law of Apollos, authored Hebrews, we can be safe in discarding it and accepting the iron arrows of Scripture that points to Paul as the author.

Question 2-. Absence From “Earliest” Canonical Lists- Firstly, these “lists” are not canonical, as the people who refused to accept Hebrews as canonical were not the ones who decided the New Testament Canon, that will be discussed on Question 3, but any “list” that Hebrews is missing from, the reasons are given below:

Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Heb 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

You mentioned previously that you are ex-Catholic. You should see in the above verses why these passages from Hebrews would want any Catholic “father” to not include it, as these verses throw the Catholic “Mass” , Christ’s daily and continuous sacrifice, into the realm of heresy. The “Mass”, as you know better than the rest of us, is the center of Roman Catholicism. There is no Roman Catholicism without the “Mass”.

Question 3- The proto-Catholic Church did not decide the Canon of the New Testament-

De 17:18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:

Ac 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

Ro 3: 1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Heb 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
1Pe 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

This proto-Catholic Church(the “fathers”), as you describe it, did not have the authority to decide anything. The OT canon was in the custody of the Levites, the NT canon was decided by one of the Twelve Apostles, in this case the most notable and best candidate was the apostle John, who was the last surviving of the Twelve.

I am not trying to bulldoze you with information, Italics, underlinings, and capitalizations are merely for emphasis and not flames. I am merely being thorough. I hope, as Peter says above, that to the glory of God through Jesus Christ this helps you.

Grace and peace

Tony
  #23  
Old 04-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Tandi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hello Tony,

I was not addressing you in particular, or anyone in particular. There were a collage of words like ignorant, ungrounded, dangerous, not true believer, from multiple posts that might have triggered my slightly caustic tone in defense of my friend. These words do not describe him. He is not the first scholar to question the canonicity of Hebrews. It was one of the last books to be accepted, and there were controversies about it in the time of the Reformation as well.

I do not judge anyone's motives and hope my motives are not judged either. I am just trying to get some information to clear up the questions. Your dispensationalist view of this Book would actually be helpful to me....as the main problem my friend has with Hebrews is how it is generally understood to negate Torah and declare it superseded or obsolete. I do not read it that way at all, not in the King James Version, but I see mistranslation in the Alexandrian versions, resulting in antinomianism. I believe Hebrews will be vindicated in the KJV when these issues are resolved. At least I hope so.

You said:

Quote:
There are people in Hebrews who fall away and cannot be renewed unto repentence, this contradicts Paul's quite clear statement on our Eternal Security in Romans 8.
This is another of the serious problems with Hebrews that need to be resolved. You resolve it with your dispensational time frame; for others it is very perplexing. For me, it causes me dire concern for my atheist friend who once was a strong and dedicated believer. I do not want to believe he cannot repent and return like a prodigal son. This harsh stance on apostates seems to contradict other Scriptures and the merciful heart of God who is not willing that any should perish.

I am open to hearing your point of view, Tony, and do not find it "distasteful" though I disagree with doctrine that negates the commandments of God. I am willing to look at perspectives different than my own, however. The comments you have made about the priesthood, etc. lend considerable weight to the belief held by many (most?) that Paul could not have written this. It does not sound like him at all, except possibly chapter 13. I used to think maybe Aquila and Priscilla wrote it together under Paul's supervision. It sounds like a sermon more than an epistle. If Priscilla was involved, it would explain why the author is not named.

So how did the Book of Hebrews make canonicity when the authorship is unknown and is someone who did not have first hand knowledge of hearing Jesus directly(ch. 2:3)? Paul heard Him on the Damascus road. Also, I have heard that the many OT Scriptures quoted are all from the (supposed) LXX. That is troubling. Is it possible that there was a Hebrew original and that this was translated into Greek by a somewhat Gnostic early church father, or tampered with by the proto-Catholic church? Yes, it seems to refute the Catholic mass, but they must have an answer to that...and I'm sure they like the verse about "obey them that have the rule over you," i.e., bishops.

The Book of Hebrews exudes Divine Inspiration....I just wonder if it has been tampered with in a few places. The Book of Revelation warns against such tampering with the Scriptures....so it must have been going on, as we see in the pseudepigraphical letters, etc.

Another question is where is the Epistle from Laodicea that Paul mentions in Colossians 4:16? There are supposed to be 14 Pauline epistles according to early lists....could this have been one of them....and Hebrews was substituted for some reason?

I am just thinking out loud here....I hope I won't be banished for voicing these thoughts as I struggle with this. I brought it up on this forum for the very reason that I expect people here will be able to resolve my concerns.

You said:

Quote:
the NT canon was decided by one of the Twelve Apostles, in this case the most notable and best candidate was the apostle John, who was the last surviving of the Twelve.
I would like to see a reference for this statement.

I have not fully digested all that you have written, Tony, but I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your response and I will prayerfully consider all that you have written, as well as contributions by others on this topic.

Shalom,

Tandi
  #24  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 PM
tonybones2112's Avatar
tonybones2112 tonybones2112 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
Hello Tony,

I was not addressing you in particular, or anyone in particular. There were a collage of words like ignorant, ungrounded, dangerous, not true believer, from multiple posts that might have triggered my slightly caustic tone in defense of my friend. These words do not describe him. He is not the first scholar to question the canonicity of Hebrews. It was one of the last books to be accepted, and there were controversies about it in the time of the Reformation as well.

I do not judge anyone's motives and hope my motives are not judged either. I am just trying to get some information to clear up the questions. Your dispensationalist view of this Book would actually be helpful to me....as the main problem my friend has with Hebrews is how it is generally understood to negate Torah and declare it superseded or obsolete. I do not read it that way at all, not in the King James Version, but I see mistranslation in the Alexandrian versions, resulting in antinomianism. I believe Hebrews will be vindicated in the KJV when these issues are resolved. At least I hope so.
Tandi, thank you for your reply. I am delighted that you received this message in the spirit it was given: Christian love and a desire to be of a help. I'm going to work on a reply here that hopefully will clarify several of your inquiries. I suggest as a further help when you read what I write that you have a bible there and read the references I give, read the whole passage.

The books of Hebrews and Revelation, the passages of I John 5:7 and I Timothy 3:16, are two of the most contested books, and two of the most contested passages because they are four living entities that cross the grain of Roman Catholic dogma and impeaches it. The one sacrifice of Christ in Hebrews, the identity of the apostate church in Revelation, the God who was made flesh, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, and received into heaven without His mother's help, and the Three Witnesses in heaven and not the fourth(Mary).

The reason you have to adopt the Scriptural dispensational doctrine of right division is that you are going to miss out on what Paul meant in Hebrews: That the Law was pointing to Jesus Christ. He kept it perfectly, we can't. That is a picture of our need for Him. We Gentiles grasped it thankfully and gladly. The Jews missed it because it denied them their own righteousness. That's why they hate Christ and rejected Him. They wanted to achieve righteousness by their own efforts in attempting to fulfill the Law.

When we come, Jew or gentile, to Jesus Christ we are saying, Lord God, I cannot keep the Law, I cannot be washed of my sins by the Law, only You can wash away my sins. That is your and my major disagreement.

The meaning of the Scriptures is not about keeping the Law: The central theme of the Scriptures is Jesus Christ.

Grace and peace to you and I'll be working on your message.

Tony
  #25  
Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Bro. Parrish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
This is another of the serious problems with Hebrews that need to be resolved. You resolve it with your dispensational time frame; for others it is very perplexing. For me, it causes me dire concern for my atheist friend who once was a strong and dedicated believer. I do not want to believe he cannot repent and return like a prodigal son. This harsh stance on apostates seems to contradict other Scriptures and the merciful heart of God who is not willing that any should perish....
Well first of all my friend, let's be clear---the problem that needs resolving is not with Hebrews, it is always with us and our misunderstanding of the Bible. It is a difficult passage and even worse for those who MAKE it more difficult by suggesting believers can lose their salvation at any time. I have always accepted the KJV as the authority, and I tell people whenever they come up on something like this, just keep reading it and comparing scripture with scripture, if it still gives them trouble then just find a commentary that helps WITHOUT ATTEMPTING TO CORRECT THE TEXT AS IT STANDS. For many who hold to the doctrine of eternal security, the pivotal point in this passage is one word... "IF."

Please note, the following passage is not from a KJVO resource, and certainly not the best resource, but I thought the way they approached this particular passage was interesting and worthy of consideration...

"The key word in the passage is if (verse 6). The writer of Hebrews is setting up a hypothetical statement: “IF a Christian were to fall away . . .” The point being made is that it would be impossible (IF a Christian falls away) to renew salvation. That’s because Christ died once for sin (Hebrews 9:28), and if His sacrifice is insufficient, then there’s no hope at all.

The passage, therefore, presents an argument based on a false premise (that a true Christian can fall away) and follows it to its senseless conclusion (that Jesus would have to be sacrificed again and again). The absurdity of the conclusion points up the impossibility of the original assumption. This reasoning is called reductio ad absurdum, in which a premise is disproved by showing that it logically leads to an absurdity"... more here:
https://www.gotquestions.org/Hebrews-6.html

There are plenty of passages in the Bible for your friend to find rest for his tortured soul, it sounds like he needs a good dose of fundamental doctrine on grace and eternal security.

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 04-26-2009 at 03:37 PM.
  #26  
Old 04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Tandi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Bro. Parrish,

My formerly fundamental/evangelical, now atheist, friend is not concerned for his soul....he does not believe in heaven, hell, demons, God, or even that Jesus was a historical person! He "knows for an absolute fact" that his ancestors were primates, is fully convinced of Evolution, and believes the Bible is a bunch of re-worked myths. It is hard for me to believe he is glory bound regardless....that Heaven will be populated with apostates. Yet it is also hard for me to give up on praying for him and I continue to dialogue with him, hoping for a change of heart and mind. He is still reading the KJV Bible daily, at my request......and I DO believe the Word of God is "quick (living) and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword.......hmmm, this is in Hebrews! One of my favorite Scriptures.

Ironically, the first step on his slippery slope of losing faith in the Bible as the Word of God was doubting the Book of Hebrews because of discrepancies he could not reconcile.

When answers to hard questions are not found in Fundamentalist/Evangelical resources, the "new atheists" (Dawkins, Dennett, Shermer, Hitchens, Barker, etc.) are all too willing and eager to prey upon doubters with their best selling skeptic books. There is a new one by Bart Ehrman, called Jesus...Interrupted that is fast becoming a best seller. Ehrman is a Moody/Wheaton graduate......now agnostic, and leading many astray. We've got to have the apologetics resources available to refute this stuff!

These are perilous times we are living in. The Great Falling Away is upon us.

Shalom,

Tandi
  #27  
Old 04-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Bro. Parrish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
He is still reading the KJV Bible daily, at my request......and I DO believe the Word of God is "quick (living) and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword.......hmmm, this is in Hebrews! One of my favorite Scriptures.
WOW, I find it amazing that a man who no longer accepts the Bible as truth could be reading it daily... truly he must be double minded and unstable in all his ways. But you are right about the Word being powerful, notice that same verse was mentioned in one of my first responses to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
Ironically, the first step on his slippery slope of losing faith in the Bible as the Word of God was doubting the Book of Hebrews because of discrepancies he could not reconcile.
Tandi, I don't know this fellow but I think his first step was to doubt God in his own heart, not just reading something in Hebrews. The Bible does not lead us to doubt, and God does not lead men into temptation. Also, in my opinion their are no real atheists in the world (Rom. 1:18-20), just sinful men who must say to themselves over and over "there is no God," who wake up every day and make a conscious, daily effort to push God out of their lives and reject His truth. As you know, wise Christians will not focus on any form of false doctrine, lest they become bewitched themselves (Gal. 3:1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
When answers to hard questions are not found in Fundamentalist/Evangelical resources, the "new atheists" (Dawkins, Dennett, Shermer, Hitchens, Barker, etc.) are all too willing and eager to prey upon doubters with their best selling skeptic books. There is a new one by Bart Ehrman, called Jesus...Interrupted that is fast becoming a best seller. Ehrman is a Moody/Wheaton graduate......now agnostic, and leading many astray. We've got to have the apologetics resources available to refute this stuff!
Yes I agree they are out there my friend, and we know there have always been doubters and Bible haters, these men are no match for the Word of God, and mere fools as you know, trying to make a buck off their own darkness. (Psalm 14:1) Ben Stein in his movie "EXPELLED" made an absolute fool out of Dawkins in a personal interview, this movie can be rented now at Blockbuster, link below:
http://www.expelledthemovie.com/
  #28  
Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 PM
George's Avatar
George George is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Posts: 891
Default Re:Factual errors in the Epistle to the Hebrews?

Quote:
"The solution to the authorship of Hebrews by Paul is that he was the only apostle qualified to write it. Barnabas, Apollos, or any other of the apostles and disciples, who Hebrews is attributed to, were great and mighty witnesses for the Lord Jesus Christ. None of them had the necessary knowledge and experience in Jewish Law and history, coupled with the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ as the centerpiece of the Old Testament and the similitude of, that the apostle Paul had. The mentioning of Timothy(a similitude of the present Body of Christ:Jewish mother, Gentile father) is revealing, as revealing as the mystery of the present Body, where Jews and Gentiles would be equal was given to Paul and no one else before Paul."
Aloha brother Tony,

Here is another “Arrow” for your “Quiver” in regards to Paul writing the Book of Hebrews:

The word “Conscience” is found 32 times (in 30 verses) in the Holy Bible. It cannot be found in the Old Testament, nor is it in the first three (“Synoptic”) Gospels. The first time the word “conscience” shows up is in the Bible is in the Gospel of John.

Paul speaks about the “conscience” 23 times in 21 verses in Acts and in his Epistles (Seven times more than any other Biblical writer.)

[Acts 23:1; 24:16] = 2 Verses / 2 Times
[Romans 2:15; 9:1; 13:5] = 3 Verses / 3 Times
[1Corinthians 8:7 (twice), 10, 12; 10:25, 27, 28, 29 (twice)] = 7 Verses / 9 Times
[2Corinthians 1:12; 4:2; 5:11] = 3 Verses / 3 Times
[1Timothy 1:5, 19; 3:9; 4:2] = 3Verses / 3 Times
[2Timothy 1:3] = 1 Verse / 1 Time
[Titus 1:15] = 1 Verse / 1 Time

TOTAL = 21 VERSES / 23 TIMES

In the Holy Bible - Who else wrote about the “conscience” besides Paul?

The Apostle John [John 8:9] = 1 Verse / 1 Time.
&
The Apostle Peter [1Peter 2:19; 3:16, 21] = 3 Verses / 3 times

That leaves five more verses (found only in the Book of Hebrews) where the word “conscience” shows up in the Holy writ. What are the Scriptural chances of any one else, besides Paul, writing 5 Verses about the “conscience” in our Bible? Not too good, as I see it!

[Hebrews 9:9, 14; 10:2, 22; 13:18] = 5 Verses / 5 times

I do not say with “finality” that the Apostle Paul wrote the Book of Hebrews (God obviously left the writer “anonymous” for a reason); but I, like you, can not think of any other New Testament writer who would have been as “QUALIFIED” to write it other than Paul.

About 25 years ago I “discovered” this verse (after 25 years of being a born again child of God) - 2 Corinthians 5:18 "And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;" and although it might not be apparent, it changed my whole “outlook” on the ministry, and on how I deal with people. I greatly appreciate your emphasis on “the ministry of reconciliation”; and our being “Ambassadors for Christ”; and avoiding riding “Hobby Horses”. And I especially agree with your premise that “The central theme of the Scriptures is Jesus Christ.

I believe your Posts are both profitable and edifying - We have the SAME Lord, and the SAME Holy Bible, and I believe that we seek to have the SAME mind:

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Romans 15:5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

I just want to encourage you in your efforts on behalf of the Lord; and I hope and pray that: “my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus”. [Philippians 4:19]

God bless you and yours always.
  #29  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
chette777's Avatar
chette777 chette777 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Puerto Princesa City, Palawan Philippines
Posts: 1,431
Default

WhIle I may get involed in a Biblical Gap debate I will not enter this debate over the man who penned the book of Hebrews. But like George there is overwhelming evidence it could be Paul to which I agree.

I would you would seek why God would not allow the Author to be known in the book of Hebrews rather than who wrote it.

Men of sound faith know already who it was that wrote it and why God would not allow his name to be in it. the second point is of far more importance.
  #30  
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Biblestudent's Avatar
Biblestudent Biblestudent is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I do not say with “finality” that the Apostle Paul wrote the Book of Hebrews (God obviously left the writer “anonymous” for a reason); but I, like you, can not think of any other New Testament writer who would have been as “QUALIFIED” to write it other than Paul.
I'm glad you didn't say it with "finality", Bro. George, or else I may have hesitated to join this thread. I knew this "ageless" debate on the authorship of Hebrews would pop up in this forum sooner or later. I hope I will have time soon to share this, but I take the side that the author of Hebrews is anonymous and Paul could not have written it. Being aware that even the best of the theologians and Biblicists have not settled it, so I look forward to an edifying discussion.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com