Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 AM
timothy

Default Isaiah 66:24

"And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men
that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall
their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh." Isaiah 66:24

"for their worm shall not die" does anyone think this means that people in the lake of fire will turn into worm or is it the worm that eats the flesh after one die? I know that eternal death is basically eternally dying... I find it interesting that people at that time will literally see this... I am a bit confused at the moment if it's during the Millenium or after, though I'm thinking it's after the Millenium...

Thoughts?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 AM
jerry

Isaiah 66:23-24 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

I believe it is referring to the Millenium. If so, this is not referring to the lake of fire yet - though from Mark 9 and this passage, we know that the worms will also be gnawing on them forever.

Isaiah 14 also refers to worms in Hell.

Isaiah 14:9-12 Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations. All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee. How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 AM
timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post

I believe it is referring to the Millenium. If so, this is not referring to the lake of fire yet - though from Mark 9 and this passage, we know that the worms will also be gnawing on them forever.

"And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone" Revelation 19:20

Because of the above verse (along with the verses before that of course), I am led to think that there will be a lake of fire during the millenium, then later, after Satan is loosed from the bottomless pit (Revelation 20:3 and Revelation 20:7) after a thousand years: "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." Revelation 20:10

Thanks for mentioning those other worm verses...
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
jerry

The Lake of fire/eternal Hell already exists:

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Perhaps it is the Lake of fire that people will be able to see during the Millenium - I had forgotten about the reference in Revelation 19. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
TLDurst

http://www.isaiahdecoded.com/Lessons/Isa-66/player.html
I have found this to be a very interesting site for the study of the book of Isaiah.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh." Isaiah 66:24

"for their worm shall not die" does anyone think this means that people in the lake of fire will turn into worm or is it the worm that eats the flesh after one die? I know that eternal death is basically eternally dying... I find it interesting that people at that time will literally see this... I am a bit confused at the moment if it's during the Millenium or after, though I'm thinking it's after the Millenium...

Thoughts?
As a previous member has correctly pointed out, the "lake of fire" is burning before, during and after the 1000 years.

Now, for this "their WORM shall not die" phrase, I've heard some preachers say that these sinners will be turned into worms. The truth is, man is already a worm:

Human sperm is shapped like a worm with a large head and long tale. When it fertilizes the female egg the resulting embryo develops into a male or female of the species, mankind. This man child has a large brain and a spinal cord system. If you strip away all of the body's bones and organs and skin you have only a large head (the brain) with a long tail (the spinal cord)...a worm.

This is the essence and core of every man.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 AM
jerry

That's a bit of a stretch! Sounds like what the evolutionists teach in their recapitulating ontogeny theories... Man physically includes all of him - not just his brain and spine, and spiritually includes a spirit and a soul. The brain and spine are in no way the essential parts of man.

When the Bible refers to man as a worm, it is speaking of his lowly position, often abased or degraded. Think of Christ referring to Himself as a worm on the cross (Psalm 22).

Psalms 22:6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

Job 25:4-6 How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman? Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight. How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?

Isaiah 41:14 Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
That's a bit of a stretch! Sounds like what the evolutionists teach in their recapitulating ontogeny theories... Man physically includes all of him - not just his brain and spine, and spiritually includes a spirit and a soul. The brain and spine are in no way the essential parts of man.
One should never begin a response with an Ad Hominin insult.

Everything you point out is quite true, and I agree with you, but that is not the context of the argument. We are talking about the physical remains of real people in a real lake of fire.

Aside from his soul and spirit, the Bible text says that some physical part of the man will physically reside in the physical lake of fire. And that a physical body (or parts, there of) will not be consummed by the flames. And if people will be able to look upon them there in that lake, then there has to be something physical there, other than his spirit and soul. That is the way the passage reads. I merely pointed out an interesting coincidental fact about human anatomy.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post

Thoughts?
This is the millenium. When Jesus Christ returns to earth, he will touch down upon the mount of Olives, splitting it east by west. I assume that this split will open up the earth and reveal the pit beneath, and Jerusalem will be the place where the goat and sheep nations are judged. The goat nations, who mistreated Israel, will be cast into this pit, and for the next thousand years, this open pit on the face of the earth will be a memorial of sorts, to those who rejected Jesus Christ and opposed his people.

It is definitely during the millenium, because the preceding verses say

Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Which is during the millenium (days are not observed in eternity). We shall worship Jesus in his presence, which will be in Jerusalem.

I am assuming that when Jesus Christ returns, the split made in the mount of olives will open up the pit, but I may be wrong. Prophecy is a funny thing

Zec 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 PM
jerry

Ad Hominem is attacking the person - I did not do that. I have a problem with what you said. Revelation 20 teaches that the lost will be resurrected - they will have physical bodies in the lake of fire.