Current Events Current events, including politics and culture.

View Poll Results: Do Christians Worry too much?
Yes, the mind of the Church is much like the non-believer in this regard. 9 90.00%
Yes, the mind of the Church is much like the non-believer in this regard.
9 90.00%
No! We should be worried! (what would happen to TUMMS sales?) 1 10.00%
No! We should be worried! (what would happen to TUMMS sales?)
1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Question Do Christians worry too much?

In this election year I have given this a lot of thought. My conclusion is: Yes. (I would like to say at this juncture there is nothing wrong with a Christian being concerned about this world, after all, we live here, for the time being.) BUT, I think a lot about what Messiah taught in Matthew, there is a rebuke to undue worry. Christ sits enthroned by God the Father in Heaven, he is our Great Priest, Mediator and Advocate, he cares for BOTH our Spiritual well-being as our temporal well being, after all, He too took on human flesh. BUT how does this relate to the election? Simple, God sets up and deposes kings and rulers, Jesus Christ is Lord of Lords and King of Kings. Obama wins, does this vote Jesus out? McCain Wins, does this change the status of Our Blessed Lord? NO! He is Supreme, he remains in control no matter what. I write this because I am guilty of being prone to worry. This is why I need a steady diet of Bible reading, Prayer, and my Church. When I do manage to get through my thick German-Irish skull that Christ cannot be moved or shaken AND he loves and cars for His saints, it is VERY comforting. Your thoughts, do we worry too much?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican View Post
In this election year I have given this a lot of thought. My conclusion is: Yes. (I would like to say at this juncture there is nothing wrong with a Christian being concerned about this world, after all, we live here, for the time being.) BUT, I think a lot about what Messiah taught in Matthew, there is a rebuke to undue worry. Christ sits enthroned by God the Father in Heaven, he is our Great Priest, Mediator and Advocate, he cares for BOTH our Spiritual well-being as our temporal well being, after all, He too took on human flesh. BUT how does this relate to the election? Simple, God sets up and deposes kings and rulers, Jesus Christ is Lord of Lords and King of Kings. Obama wins, does this vote Jesus out? McCain Wins, does this change the status of Our Blessed Lord? NO! He is Supreme, he remains in control no matter what. I write this because I am guilty of being prone to worry. This is why I need a steady diet of Bible reading, Prayer, and my Church. When I do manage to get through my thick German-Irish skull that Christ cannot be moved or shaken AND he loves and cars for His saints, it is VERY comforting. Your thoughts, do we worry too much?
Excellent post, brother. Of course, when a Christian worries at all, he's worrying too much; but, having a weakness for politics, I must admit that this election has me a little edgy.

But you're right. Neither man is any good, although Palin is terrific; but, even if Obama wins (which I don't expect), he'll be no worse than Nero. And he will be God's chosen instrument - - - or weapon.

God puts 'em up, and pulls 'em down. It is ours only to obey His words, support the "leaders" in prayer, and be about the Lord's business.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
Excellent post, brother. Of course, when a Christian worries at all, he's worrying too much; but, having a weakness for politics, I must admit that this election has me a little edgy.

But you're right. Neither man is any good, although Palin is terrific; but, even if Obama wins (which I don't expect), he'll be no worse than Nero. And he will be God's chosen instrument - - - or weapon.

God puts 'em up, and pulls 'em down. It is ours only to obey His words, support the "leaders" in prayer, and be about the Lord's business.
Good point about Nero! Think about this: St. Paul lived in a period a wicked perverse Caesars, (more wicked than our own Political system, hard as it is to believe), and YET, do we see him worried about Caesar? Paul said to PRAY for Caesar! We tend to forget, the Holy Spirit only "dwells" for lack of a better term, in the saints, but He can indwell (even if only for short periods) in a total heathen to bring about Gods will! Think about the Spirit falling on King Saul as just one example.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 PM

With that being said, I'm voting for Chuck Baldwin. I don't believe that John McCain is much more worthy of the office of President than Obama, and he's not even a natural-born US citizen! God is in control regardless of who is in office; I have to think that getting an oppressive man like Obama in office might just be what revitalizes the Church in these last days approaching the Tribulation.

Why is it that 3 out of 4 years, we make snide jokes about politicians and lawyers, then election year, we seen to think that all the Republican politicians, many of whom are lawyers, are all good and great and worthy of our admiration? I think even Conservatives are swayed too much by publicity and advertisements!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican View Post
Good point about Nero! Think about this: St. Paul lived in a period a wicked perverse Caesars, (more wicked than our own Political system, hard as it is to believe), and YET, do we see him worried about Caesar? Paul said to PRAY for Caesar! We tend to forget, the Holy Spirit only "dwells" for lack of a better term, in the saints, but He can indwell (even if only for short periods) in a total heathen to bring about Gods will! Think about the Spirit falling on King Saul as just one example.
Well, I don't think the Spirit falls on pagans any more, since Pentecost. The Old Testament was a different kind of thing. But He can certainly work through pagans, and the king's heart is in His hands.

If Obama gets in, I imagine we'll be doing a lot of praying! But I don't think it's gonna happen. Of course, if he loses, we'll have plenty of riots and mayhem to pray about!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 PM

I worry because I think there is a complete lack of discernment within the churches of those that call themselves "Evangelicals". I came from a Reformed (like Luke says, a deplorable doctrine) Methodist church in my early years as a Christian, and found them to be completely unwilling to listen a discerning voice in regards to sound Biblical doctrine. I just couldn't stay within that kind of church. I worry for folks that remain in those sorts of churches because discerning voices will have a hard time finding open ears. So in regards to the political situation, I don't worry. But I've never really worried about politics. I try to be so busy growing as a Christian, and planting seeds that everything else seems trivial. VR is right when he says:

Quote:
Of course, when a Christian worries at all, he's worrying too much
I think the only exception is worrying about lost souls and the church. I worry a lot about the church. I want to be a light and watchman for the church by holding up God's Word, but the enemy has sent out many adversaries that keep trying to trip me up! I guess I (we) just gotta keep pressing onward. My God is AWESOME!

Philippians 4:13 (KJV) I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 AM

yep, it's human nature to worry.

Note, I said "human" nature.

When I'm worrying, I'm walking in the flesh, not in the Spirit; by sight, not by faith.

I think the worry tendency should decrease as our faith matures.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
I worry because I think there is a complete lack of discernment within the churches of those that call themselves "Evangelicals". I came from a Reformed (like Luke says, a deplorable doctrine) Methodist church in my early years as a Christian, and found them to be completely unwilling to listen a discerning voice in regards to sound Biblical doctrine. I just couldn't stay within that kind of church. I worry for folks that remain in those sorts of churches because discerning voices will have a hard time finding open ears. So in regards to the political situation, I don't worry. But I've never really worried about politics. I try to be so busy growing as a Christian, and planting seeds that everything else seems trivial. VR is right when he says:

I think the only exception is worrying about lost souls and the church. I worry a lot about the church. I want to be a light and watchman for the church by holding up God's Word, but the enemy has sent out many adversaries that keep trying to trip me up! I guess I (we) just gotta keep pressing onward. My God is AWESOME!

Philippians 4:13 (KJV) I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
Stephen, I get concerned for the Church, and I pray for the Church, we must not WORRY about the Church, think about it like this, the Church is built upon Christ. Right? It was created by Him to be the vessel to send forth His Holy Gospel. Now, the best part (In my humble opinion) Jesus Christ in discourse with Simon Peter, said the Gates of HELL would not prevail against it! That is a mind blowing promise, and when we stop and think that the promises of God do not return void, it is a most comforting thought! Blessings my Brother.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM

We should distinguish between "worry" and "burden". Worry leaves God out of the picture as we try to fix the problem or come up with a solution on our own, while being burdened is seeing the circumstance and seeking the heart of God in the matter.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
We should distinguish between "worry" and "burden". Worry leaves God out of the picture as we try to fix the problem or come up with a solution on our own, while being burdened is seeing the circumstance and seeking the heart of God in the matter.
I guess you are correct. I should have used the word burdened in my post about the Church and lost souls.

Peace and Love,
Stephen