General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2008, 08:55 AM
kstsells

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok.book.guy View Post
Dunno. In my question, I'm only asking about the case where it is an unbeliever leaving a believing spouse: Does the "not bound" refer to the marriage i.e. the believer is not married and is therefore free to marry,
OR
is it (as I suspect it is) that the believer does not have to remain (bound) to the unbeliever when the unbeliever leaves, but is nonetheless not to remarry?

The young widows are permitted to remarry (1Ti 5). He never says this about those with a living (former) spouse.
OK Book Guy and Timothy,

I think you hit it square on the head!

We have to look at the big picture of what God says about divorce and remarriage and then keep that in mind when we read I Cor. 7. Many people want this to be interpreted that it is ok and that you are not bound so that they can remarry. It is sad and I am not condemning people that this happens to but it is what God says. The believer is not bound means that they are not bound to stay in the marriage - Paul spoke this by permission from God. Which is a subject someone may want to comment on. That has always puzzled me a bit.

God hates divorce but if a woman or man leaves their spouse for another person and demands a divorce, the other person isn't sinning in this!! Their hands were more than likely tied. It does hinder both but the one committing the sin would be the one demanding the divorce. There would be possible exceptions to this - ie: abuse, child molestation etc. The sin would be in them remarrying.

I believe that the knowledge that if I was to ever divorce, I would be going against God's plans if I remarried has been a factor in my own marriage commitment. However God gave me a wonderful husband who is easy to keep my commitment too. I do feel for those who have bad spouses.