Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
againstheresies

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
You pointed out several changes in the NKJV to fit more in line with Catholic teachings - and it is interesting to note that Thomas Nelson was a Catholic. You will also find various New Age terms used in the NKJV, such as calling God "The One".
You think 911 was an inside job also
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 PM

The main reason why I reject the NKJV is because it is NOT the KJV...NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 AM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by againstheresies View Post
You think 911 was an inside job also
Are you asking for proof of and references for my statements, or are you just being insulting?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 AM
fundy

"Too bad you did not get a chance to learn Hebrew and Greek otherwise you would not have made so many fallacious statements"

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psa 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever.

Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

God says that this words are pure, God says his words will be kept, God says his words shall be preserved forever, God says his word shall not pass away, God says that all scripture is inspired by him through Holy men of his choosing...

YOU say that we must learn Hebrew and Greek in order to correctly understand Gods words, YOU say that some scripture is subject to doubt, YOU say we should consult a concordance compiled by scholars in order to correct that which we have been told is God inspired.....

You seem to have a habit of questioning Gods word..........Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Job 38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Job 38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding......

Fundy.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Pastor Mikie

to: againstheresies

Why do I need to learn two archaic languages that no one speaks anymore? There is nothing sacred about those languages. The Roman Catholic Church thrust most of Christianity into the dark ages with sentiments such as yours. I trust God to make sure I have His Word (that will be my judge one day). My statements aren't fallacious. They just disagree with your statements. I feel sorry for you because you don't believe you have a Bible. Your statements lead me to conclude this. If you have to run to lexicons and such like just to know what the Bible says, that's sad.

If I can't understand what the Bible says in English, I'm sure not going to understand it in another language. That would be making someone else my final authority and not God's Word. The KJB has proven itself worthy. It is "quick and powerful" (not just alive and active). It is the most attacked book in the world and it still comes out ahead every time. If the KJB isn't God's Word that I can have, hold and read, then tell me which one is. All these other "versions" water down the deity of Jesus Christ, make fornication culturally relative and minimize eternal punishment (to name just a few). I might not always like what the KJB says, but I know it is what God wants me to know and that is soul-cleansing and satisfying.

If you are caught in a temptation or a crisis, or maybe you just want reassurance, wouldn't it be nice to know the Bible you are reading isn't filled with errors? When you read a precious promise from God's Word, how much comfort can you have if you are always wondering if it was translated correctly?

Don't accuse me of making fallacious statements when you make statements of doubt. If you, let's say, decide to visit Russia and you buy a book that converts Russian into English, would that make you an authority on the Russian language? How about the other way around? Let's say a Russian who didn't speak English came to the USA and they went through their "book" to carry on a conversation. Let's also suppose they just want to just say, "Praise the Lord". So, they look it up in their little conversion book and look at us a say, "Paean (pee-on) the Lord". I think that would be incredibly awkward. So, you see how "dangerous" it is to give someone a Strong's Concordance with a "make-shift" Greek and Hebrew dictionary and tell them to make sure the Bible is translated correctly?

Last edited by Pastor Mikie; 02-13-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
ok.book.guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by againstheresies View Post
Too bad you did not get a chance to learn Hebrew and Greek otherwise you would not have made so many fallacious statements. Even without knowledge of the original languages you still could consult Strong’s Concordance and you can see for yourself the error of your conclusions. But then again that may be too much work and would only cast doubt on your preconceived conclusions.
Wow!. . .check out that attitude!!. . .I didn't see that one coming.

Look folks, this is the typical price you will pay for believing the bible is God's infallible book.

It can sometimes be a hard one to pay, especially if you once spent a large part of your life as an academic (as I did) and have spent considerable time and expense meeting and studying with some of the bone fide scholars in the biblical text issue.

Its a price that was way too dear for B.B. Warfield. That's the reason he embraced textual criticism. That's the reason he imported the (then) new theory of "Inerrancy" into Princeton seminary making peace with european modernist intellectuals and losing forever maximal faith in the present day bible that we hold in our hands.

Warfield is never going to be labeled an "obscurantist" (which was his greatest fear). But, were he alive today to hear the likes of Kirsopp Lake (just one of many examples) pronounce the generally accepted dictum that the text of the original autographs CANNOT be reconstructed (. . .yes, you did hear the other shoe fall just now), repudiating his faith that the "scientific approach would do that very thing, I believe he would renounce his former position and stand along side of J.W. Burgon and E.F. Hills and bear the reproach of the modern day bible correctors.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
ok.book.guy

If I can't understand what the Bible says in English, I'm sure not going to understand it in another language.

Direct hit pastor Mike!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:55 PM
jerry

Quote:
Too bad you did not get a chance to learn Hebrew and Greek otherwise you would not have made so many fallacious statements. Even without knowledge of the original languages you still could consult Strong’s Concordance and you can see for yourself the error of your conclusions. But then again that may be too much work and would only cast doubt on your preconceived conclusions.
It's funny how one Bible corrector comes along and says he knows so much better than the 47+ translators that worked on the KJV. Many of them learned Bible languages at a young age, and some of them knew many languages - yet one guy comes along with a Strong's Concordance (which gives basic definitions of words, but not tenses, etc.) and thinks he can correct the Bible. Sad!

I use my Concordance to give me definitions, so I can understand the English better, but not to attempt to retranslate the KJV again or to correct it in any way. What are we compared to those translators? Not much.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Beth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
I don't care what MacArthur says,
Wow!! that's refreshing! I'm use to forums where he is the final authority.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
LIVNBYFAITH

You want to know why we should reject the "NKJV" Because the "N" being interpreted as "NEW" means only that "modern" man has messed with it. And very simply put, REV. 22: 18-21 KJV - For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

This tells me that it is CLEARLY STATED if messed with God will have NOTHING to do with it. Hey that is enough for me palin and simple. If you want to play with fire go ahead, but we will ALL face Him one day, and I want my coinscience to be clean. It scares me SORE to think that he would add unto me plagues of this book. and it should you to. I WILL TRULY PRAY FOR YOU. May god bless you, and his spirit move upon you..