Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Was the LXX written during the 400 Silent Years? Did it include the Apocrypha?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 AM

From my observation of the facts and arguments given in this thread, the book that today is called the LXX was of late production, possibly the 4th generation AD. The issue of the existence of a Greek translation of the OT as a whole prior to the time of Christ is certainly under debate. Possibly, all that may have existed was a translation of the Law and maybe some other parts.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Default "Observations"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
From my observation of the facts and arguments given in this thread, the book that today is called the LXX was of late production, possibly the 4th generation AD. The issue of the existence of a Greek translation of the OT as a whole prior to the time of Christ is certainly under debate. Possibly, all that may have existed was a translation of the Law and maybe some other parts.
I believe that your "observations" are correct!

Since there is no way this matter can ever be settled (because of the lack of evidence); it appears to me that "someone", in the past, was trying to "set up" his own "authority" (in opposition to God's word), and produced the "letter of Aristeas" (an "ancient "authority") in order to "authenticate" his work. Does this sound just a little bit familiar?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM

I was thinking that if the LXX was written during the 400 "Silent Years", and if it includes the Apocrypha (written during that period, too), then I would be suspicious of anything (such as the LXX) written during the period when God was "silent" -- especially those that contradict the Authorized Hebrew O.T.
Although I believe there was no pre-Christian LXX, I would say that "even if" it did exist before Christ, I would be highly doubtful that it was the authorized, pure Word of God.

Last edited by Biblestudent; 05-05-2008 at 08:56 AM.