General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:33 AM

Default For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

Guys,

Being a financial planner means I love math. I always have. Many things in life lie and are untrue, however numbers are always truthful. I know what is wrong with the Christians today and why they are just like the world.

Quote:
Proverbs 23:7

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:
Christians are not thinking correctly. They are not thinking about the right things. Why are they thinking like the world? There are a few reason why. Below is the the number one thing wrong with Christians in the world today. I think we need to do the math on this issue. Numbers never lie.

7 hours, 40 minutes per day

That is how long the average person watches TV.

Now how many hours per week. To make the numbers look better we are going to call it 7 hours, 30 minutes per day. I am just taking off 10 minutes off to undercut the study a little bit and see what the numbers look like. I always undercut everything just in case. It never hurts.

7.50 per day

52.5 hours per week.

2730 Hours per year.

113.75 full 24 hour days per year of TV viewing

The average man lives to be 82.5 years based on The 2001 CSO Mortality Table

Lets just say he starts watching TV at age 10 and is an average person. This is taking a few years off of his TV viewing. WE all know kids like cartoons and other kid entertainment shows.

He will watch TV for

8246.875 days of his life.

22.59 years of full TV viewing.

This and this alone is why most live and act like the world. They think just like the world. For over 7 hours per day people get their thoughts from the world via the TV.

Quote:

You show me how a man thinks and I'll show you how a man lives his life. The mind is what controls the man's actions.

Atlas
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks, atlas!
And this verse come to mind:
Psalms 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 PM

7.5 Hours per day???? How is that even possible? I can barely watch it for one hour.

My time waster is computer games. But even then, I would play them for a max of maybe 4 hours a week (my wife hates them, except for Super Mario Kart on the Gamecube.. she calls it "Monkey Racing" because she always picks Donkey Kong and is quite good at it :P )
Old 04-08-2008, 02:11 AM

Atlas (Post #1)

Quote:
Quote:
You show me how a man thinks and I'll show you how a man lives his life. The mind is what controls the man's actions.
Brother I'm with you all the way on this one with one small exception - The "heart" and "mind" are not the same.

I did and intensive study on the heart from April 2006 until October of 2006. I then worked on the study for another year - refining and revising it. I now have a 250 page (letter size) study on the heart, which of necessity also includes all of man's other attributes.
A man doesn't only consist of a body, soul, and spirit (Our "Substance") - We also possess a heart; a mind; and a conscience (Our "Faculties").

What I discovered in my studies is: Just as our body, soul, and spirit (our substance) are different from each other - so are our heart, mind, and conscience (our faculties) different from each other. {I never knew about these matters until I did the study and I have never seen or heard this teaching taught anywhere in 50 years.}

Our heart is our "MOTIVATOR"
Our mind is our "FACILITATOR"
Our conscience is our "REGULATOR"

This study began because a good Christian friend and I were discussing how in all the years that we had attended church that neither one of us had ever heard any real teaching on the heart, which prompted my friend to ask me to do a study and share it with the brethren in our church.

I have the study on my web page but since I posted it I have "revised" it several times (since my writing is not "inspired") and so it isn't as complete or as "refined" as my finished product.

Let me give you just a few facts and if your not satisfied, I would be happy to send you the finished Study - Free. (Comb Bound).

Some General Information (All numbers are approximate):

Number of verses [heart(s)] in Old Testament ………………...721 Verses
Number of verses [heart(s)] in New Testament …………….… 159 Verses
Total number of verses in the entire Bible …………………..… 880 Verses

Number of words [heart(s)] in Old Testament ………………..784 Times
Number of words [heart(s)] in New Testament ……………… 166 Times
Total number of times in the entire Bible ………………….…. 950 Times

Number comparison with mind & conscience in the Bible:
Mind(s) …………………………………………………..….. 108 Verses 111 Times
Conscience(s) ………………………………………………... 30 Verses 32 Times

After copying all of the verses on the heart (thanks to Swordsearcher), I downloaded them and carefully reviewed all of the verses a half a dozen times and Collated, Categorized, Compiled & Cataloged them. When I was through I had the Scriptural definition of the Biblical "heart" (It's a lot more work than Strong's or Webster's, but it's a lot more accurate than their "personal opinions".)

The following is the Scriptural "Definition" of the word "heart" (Webster & Strong aren't much help when it comes to "spiritual" definitions)

Quote:
The heart is the center or seat of our: 1 thoughts, 2 meditations, 3 considerations, 4 perceptions, 5 concepts, 6 reasoning, 7 understanding, 8 beliefs, 9 imaginations, 10 fears, 11 doubts, 12 counsels, 13 intents, 14 desires (affections - emotions), and 15 pride. The heart is where the 16 will resides and operates.
1. Job 17:11; 2. Psalms 19:14; 3. Deuteronomy 8:5; 4. Deuteronomy 29:4; 5. Acts 5:4; 6. Mark 2:8; 7. Proverbs 8:5; 8. Romans 10:9-10; 9. Genesis 6:5; 10. Isaiah 35:4, Luke 21:26; 11. Mark 11:23; 12. Jeremiah 7:24; 13. Hebrews 4:12; 14. Psalms 37:4, Colossians 3:2; 15. 2 Chronicles 32:26; 16. Psalms 101:2, Psalms 119:69, Psalms 119:145, Isaiah 32:6, 1 Corinthians 7:37, Ephesians 6:6.

The total number of verses in the Bible where the word heart (hearts) has a different application than the overwhelmingly predominant Scriptural definition given above:

1. Exodus 15:8 (the heart of the Sea)
2. Exodus 28:29-30 (physical)
3. Exodus 28:29-30 (physical)
4. 2 Samuel 18:14 (physical)
5. 2 Kings 9:24 (physical)
6. Psalms 104:15 (physical)
7. Psalms 37:15 (physical)
8. Proverbs 14:30 (physical - double meaning?)
9. Isaiah 6:10 (physical - double meaning?)
10. Isaiah 19:1 (the heart of Egypt)
11. Matthew 12:40 (the heart of the Earth)
12. Luke 21:26 (physical - double meaning?)

I do not believe that God does things by accident or on a mere whim. It cannot be by “coincidence” that of the 880 verses in the King James Bible with the word heart or hearts in them, only nine (9) verses refer to the physical heart and another three (3) refer to the heart of the earth, Egypt, or the sea. (There may be a few more - like: the heart of Jerusalem; or the heart of the city, etc., but not many) All of the remaining 868 verses refer to a nonphysical/spiritual "faculty" of man that God has chosen to call the heart. {I.e. the Biblical Heart as opposed to the physical heart}

In order to complete the study I ended up having to doing the same extensive study for the words: mind; conscience; spirit; and soul also - which when they are all combined, still do not equal the number of verses for the heart. (I don't have room here to give the verses, but) - The following are the Scriptural Definitions for those words:

Quote:
The mind is that faculty within a man or woman wherein resides our intellect or intelligence. In the Bible the mind is separate and distinct from the heart in purpose, though sometimes similar in function and operation.
Quote:
The conscience is that faculty within a man or woman wherein resides the awareness of right and wrong (good and evil), and which influences the heart and mind as to the lawfulness or unlawfulness of our own affections & actions. According to the Scriptures the human heart and conscience are separate and distinct from each other in purpose and in operation.
Quote:
The spirit (pertaining only to mankind) is that substance [which is given by God] within a man or woman wherein our very life resides i.e. the spirit is life itself. In the Bible the spirit is separate and distinct from the heart and the soul in purpose, though it may have some similar characteristics.
Quote:
According to the Scriptures the soul is that substance within a man or a woman, which is created at the moment of birth, (when the body receives the spirit) and which is the very essence of their being. The soul within a man or woman is that substance that distinguishes mankind from all of the other living creatures in God’s creation. The soul is that substance which separates an individual from every other individual and makes them unique.
I can't condense 250 pages into one, but you get the idea.

Last edited by George; 04-08-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Pastor Jon

George,

I was doing some research online regarding the heart, soul, mind etc. and I came across your post on this subject. It appears that God has blessed you with great insight on this matter after much diligence and study. I'm very interested in readiing your entire study on this topic. Would you be willing to share the entire study? Please feel free to contact me by email, for I do not usually spend time online in chat rooms or threads like this, due to the lack of time. I have taught on this subject over the years but on a shallow level. God has really been stirring me to go deeper into this area. I attempted to eamil you, but it looks like you have block email attempts.

Thanks for your time.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Jon View Post
George,

I was doing some research online regarding the heart, soul, mind etc. and I came across your post on this subject. It appears that God has blessed you with great insight on this matter after much diligence and study. I'm very interested in readiing your entire study on this topic. Would you be willing to share the entire study? Please feel free to contact me by email, for I do not usually spend time online in chat rooms or threads like this, due to the lack of time. I have taught on this subject over the years but on a shallow level. God has really been stirring me to go deeper into this area. I attempted to eamil you, but it looks like you have block email attempts.

Thanks for your time.
Aloha Brother Jon,

Thanks so much for your kind words regarding my study on "The Heart of the Matter" (The Biblical Heart of Man). I in turn want to praise my Lord, Who graciously rewarded my efforts with an understanding of this matter that I would not have been able to grasp even 5 to 10 years ago.

Because of this study, I am more convinced than ever that: God only reveals to us what we are "willing" to believe! There's the heart again!

Did you try to get through to me by e-mail from my web page (thywordistruth@gmail.com"? If you did and you couldn't get through, I've got to do something to "fix" that problem.

In regards to the study: If you will give me your mailing address (Try my e-mail again - posted above) I will be happy to send you the complete study (250 pages) by mail at no charge.

If you cannot get through to me you can mail ("snail-mail" )me at:

George Anderson
P.O. Box 1019
Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii 96714

Again, I thank God that some of my lessons and essays are edifying to some of the brethren. That has been my intent from the beginning.

Yours for the Lord Jesus Christ and for His Holy Word,

George Anderson
Old 05-03-2008, 06:23 PM

George, thank you for the link to your site. Your hard work and study will prompt me in a similar way. It is a blessing to me, so thank you for that.