General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Amen Peopleoftheway Amen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:

I know I should win souls, or try to, but honestly, it seems as though I don't care all that much. I'm ungrateful to God. Sometimes I think I don't even believe, or care that He died for me.
Your statement reminds me of a good sermon I heard once. The pastor said when he was in college that one of his friends came to him and asked to borrow money, and promised he would pay him back the very next week. He was happy to help his buddy and gave him the money.

Next week came around and he couldn't find his friend anywhere. Then on several occasions he saw his friend at school, but his friend took off in the other direction. This went on for several weeks.

Finally, he saw his friend and cornered him. He asked why he was obviously avoiding him. His friend responded that he just knew he was very angry at him for breaking his promise of repaying the money in one week. As each day went by, he became more convinced that his friend was becoming more angry and unhappy with him. He even decided he didn't care, he didn't want him for a friend anyway, and did his best to avoid him.

He slapped his buddy on the back and told him they would always be friends. He realized his friend probably didn't have the money, but that would never affect their friendship. He could repay when he could, if he couldn't, that would be OK too. He loved his friend.

And that is how we are with God sometimes. We get caught up in sin and think God is very angry at us. We become so sure God wants nothing to do with us that we convince ourselves we don't even care, and that we want nothing to do with God.

But God still loves us. Sure, he is unhappy about our sin, but he is waiting for us to come back to him and restore fellowship.

If you sinned (and we all have MANY times), get down on your knees and tell the Lord you are sorry. Start over right then and there and do your best to obey God. He is right there waiting for you to return to him.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
So am I

I am basically just drifting through life, without purpose or direction. I feel as though God is through with me. I missed my opportunities, and the desires of my heart have perished. MY heart is hard. I am unloving, unkind, jealous and angry at lots of people, and I don't want to be.

I get angry at my pastor very easily, but I don't go and tell him. I get angry at my father in law very easily, but I don't go and tell him. The problem is not with them, it's with me.

I know I should win souls, or try to, but honestly, it seems as though I don't care all that much. I'm ungrateful to God. Sometimes I think I don't even believe, or care that He died for me.
You're not alone, any believer can get his eyes on the world and off of Christ and become ungrateful and heart-hearted.

Hey Luke, there are over fifteen "I's in that post...
My old Pastor used to say maybe we need to focus on others more and less on ourselves. Just food for thought brother... praying for you.

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb. 12:2
Old 04-11-2009, 11:59 PM

Default Answer to Luke

Kiwi is right Luke. A couple of additional points to remember or reflect on. Being tormented is actually a good sign. In Hebrews 12.1b "lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us," Paul or Barnabas talks about similar problems and remember Romans or Galatians when Paul speaks about not doing the things he want to do but does those things he hates. The devil would nothing better than destroy your confidence or ability to serve. I have and do struggle with reoccurring sins. I have read much and found three strong anchor holds to help when those powerful storms hit me between the eyes. The first is verse memorizations, I pick out specific ones that I've worked on repeatedly that the Holy Spirit can use to strengthen my resolve. I reflect on how Jesus used verses to fight against the temptations of Satan when he was particularly weak from his fasting. Secondly, (taken from a sermon I had heard) was to remember the love of Christ. To think about how he loved me personally and my individual relationship with him - how can I possibly try to reject how he feels about me. I have some responsibility to him and like in Proverbs 25.28 "He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down and without walls." Also to better help in this specific thought area, I will bring my flesh into subjection with fasting for 3 or 4 days to help with perspective on Christs love and my responsibility to his mercy, love and grace.
The third method to overcome these uncontrolable urges is to completely focus upward on God's holiness and gain perspective through reverential fear. Our God IS a consuming fire (my emphasis). I do not want or need his wrath in my life. He is patient, longsuffering, loving, and forgiving, but there are limits once we are his. I definately don't need that kind of a problem with the world already in the state it is.

My prayers are with you Luke.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 AM

I go through the same feelings sometimes.

Let’s pray continually for each other.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM

Thumbs up

Never have another episode of doubt again, Luke, because you know you are saved.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the Name of the Son of God; that ye may know (as in, be 100% sure) that ye have Eternal Life, and that ye may believe on the Name of the Son of God. -- I John 5:13