Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Revangelist

Also, I'm not validating what other Pentecostals do. Good chance most of it is "babbling", that's between them and God. However, I'm only showing the validity of it in the Scriptures.

As I explained before, I don't speak in tongues for anyone else to hear me, except there be an interpretor. And that has only happened to me a few times.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Pastor Mikie

I'm sorry to say that many of the people who speak in tongues do so to show they are spiritual. Others because of peer-pressure. But it doesn't mean tongues isn't legitimate Biblically.

The same can be said for some that go to church. They go to church thinking they're Christians, others because anybody who is somebody goes to church. I had a number of people who sat through salvation messages who didn't respond week after week. They were religious, and that was good enough for them. The same with the "Pentecostal distinctive". Even that has become a religious thing to some folks.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revangelist View Post
[I][COLOR="Indigo"]Acts 2:1 ¶And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

and you say:
They were in the upper room in a prayer meeting and spoke in tongues with out interpretation.
did you purposely leave out the word other. see bold red.
Quote:
Acts 2:5 ¶And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Now, they are outdoors, out of the upper room and Jews from other nations heard in their own language.
I'm confused by your point. Are you saying there are two different types of tongues being spoken of in Acts 2. A different type in the upper room and another type in the outdoors? I still don't see a Biblical example of the modern day tongues in the Pentecostal movement.

It almost looks as though now you two are saying that most of the tongues movement is corrupt, except for the tongues that you two participate in?? I'm just getting more confused by your "special" gift.

Quote:
[COLOR="Navy"]1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

This is speaking to God directly.
Are you saying that unless we speak in this unknown prayer language we are not speaking directly to God. Again, I'm getting more confused. God's Word is clear!! Praise the Lord.

Biblical tongues were revelatory messages
Quote:
1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
Quote:
1 Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
Quote:
1 Corinthians 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
Quote:
Ephesians 3:3-5 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Last edited by Beth; 03-31-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Beth

Default The purpose of tongues in the Bible

Is the purpose for personal edification?? NO

God plainly tells us the purpose for tongues. It was to give a sign to the nation Israel regarding the fact that God was doing this new thing in starting the church. Paul tells us that tongues was a fulfillment of the prophecy in Isa 28:11-12.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 14:20-22 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
Quote:
Isaiah 28:11-12 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
jerry

In Acts 2, the passage does not state that they were in the upper room - that was chapter one, ten days before. Now in chapter 2, the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples and they spoke in tongues to those around them. It is pretty clear they were speaking other languages - and the context showed this was immediately afterwards - not that they spoke in tongues among themselves for a bit, then went out into the streets.

1 Corinthians 14 is also rebuking a supposed private prayer language. It is in the context of using our gifts to edify the church - not ourselves.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Revangelist

Beth, I looked back at my post and the word "other" was there. I cut and pasted it right out of my Bible software.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Revangelist

The questions you are asking appear to be rhetorical. If I answer, you will come back with more and more....

I'm not interested in "making you" change your mind. Any more answers along this line would be an exercise in futility. So why should I bother?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Pastor Mikie

I'm sorry if you took some of my statements to mean somehow I was better than other Pentecostals. I was merely acknowledging that I understand there are problems in the Pentecostal Churches, not make myself sound better than they. There are lots of problems in lots of church regardless of there affiliation.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Beth

Quote:
Beth, I looked back at my post and the word "other" was there. I cut and pasted it right out of my Bible software.
look at post 60.

Quote:
[I][COLOR="Indigo"]Acts 2:1 ¶And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

They were in the upper room in a prayer meeting and spoke in tongues with out interpretation.
Yes, other is in the scripture you cut and pasted. look at the sentence right after the scripture, your paraphrase.

Scripture = and began to speak with other tongues.

Revangelist = and spoke in tongues and you added without interpretation???
Old 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
I'm sorry if you took some of my statements to mean somehow I was better than other Pentecostals. I was merely acknowledging that I understand there are problems in the Pentecostal Churches, not make myself sound better than they. There are lots of problems in lots of church regardless of there affiliation.
This is true that there are lots of problems in lots of churches regardless of their affiliation. This is why we must always try the spirit. We must compare everything to scripture to make sure it is true and from God.