General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM

What is Lordship salvation?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
What is Lordship salvation?
Lordship Salvation is the teaching that one must not only accept Jesus as his Saviour, but that he also must accept Him as his Lord, meaning that the man rejects sin and from then on will walk only in the light and stay away from sin.

That would be great and all, but they seem to forget that someone that gets saved still has their flesh and will always struggle with sin no matter how crucified they are with Christ. That's not to say that one cannot have victory, but until we get to Heaven, we'll always be fighting with our flesh to serve God.

I'll see if I can get together a post on State vs. Standing as it deals with Salvation. I'm away from the house right now and don't have time, but perhaps later tonight I'll put something up.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 AM

See, that's what I was starting to believe. The Lordship salvation thing. But I think I understand that all is required is that you realize you're a sinner, and Jesus died for those sins. Then trust in Him to cover those sins. Is that right, or close?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
See, that's what I was starting to believe. The Lordship salvation thing. But I think I understand that all is required is that you realize you're a sinner, and Jesus died for those sins. Then trust in Him to cover those sins. Is that right, or close?
You're right. For someone to be saved, all they must do is repent of their trusting in anything else to get into heaven (for the road to hell is paved with men and their works) and believe that it is only through the work that Christ did on the Cross that a man can find salvation. Salvation is of the Lord!

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (Acts 16:29-31 KJV)

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10:9 KJV)

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV)

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:14-15 KJV)

Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. (Isaiah 45:22 KJV)

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Lordship Salvation is the teaching that one must not only accept Jesus as his Saviour, but that he also must accept Him as his Lord, meaning that the man rejects sin and from then on will walk only in the light and stay away from sin.
That is what I certainly believe and do try my best to do. As I heard it so well put in the beginning of my walk with our blessed Savior...I do this imperfectly, but sincerely. I don't know exactly what that means, but it sure fits my walk. I have committed what is to me one of the gravest of sins...the killing of an innocent human being...and all I can do is give my life wholly and truly to God, stay on my face before Him, put His Word on my heart, love, and spread the Word. That may be tremendously simplistic, but it is all I know how to do. I don't know what it is called, but I don't need a name for it. I hope that makes some sense.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 AM

The Bible says in Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." After we get saved, we most certainly are expected to serve God with our whole heart: if He gave the greatest sacrifice known to mankind, then how can we neglect to give Him everything we have?

The problem enters when Christians look at someone who has a testimony of Salvation, and says they must not be saved since they haven't surrendered to Christ as their Lord. True, we SHOULD surrender, and that's what God desires of His children, but to add that to Salvation, and claim that someone who doesn't show signs of surrender can't be saved is clearly adding to the Gospel of our Lord.

I'm not negating the importance of service: I'm simply pointing out that requiring that in addition to Faith for Salvation is what Paul would call "Another gospel," i.e. Paul Washer, Ray Comfort, etc. They have some good stuff, but they tend to overemphasize works.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 PM

I was just reviewing this thread. And noticed some recommending the 1917 edition, of the Schofield.

That is the reason I bought the Schofield lll, it uses the 1917 text. Not the revision of the 1967 new Scofield.

Old Schofields are like diamonds around here, not to be had, so I bought the schofield lll, after finding it has the 1917 original text.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 AM

Default Start at the Beginning!

Quote:
Actually, my pastor recommended the Old Scofield (from like, 1917 I think) because if said they change stuff in the newer ones. I was thinking about just starting in Genesis and just reading through like a regular book, what do you guys think?
Hello. Start at Genesis! Why ? Because the first verse sets the tone for the rest of Scripture. " In the beginning God..." Think on that verse for awhile. It is winter time now so I would suggest you go outside tonight and look up into the sky. The cold air makes the view better. Our God created everything you can see, and the little molecules that you can't see. Genesis is the Book that tells us what/why/when/where/who and how. So many people and concepts found in Genesis are found in The 4 Gospels. The Lord Jesus mentions Abraham (father of the faithful) and many other things found in the first Book.

Then turn to the new Testament and contrary to many folks who say read John,,, I say read Matthew first. Why ? Because it is the first Gospel placed there by The Holy Spirit . Matthew starts with the beginning of the family tree, then the birth of Jesus and onward. Step-by-step with Him and the Disciples. { I'm in league with the late Dr. J. Vernon Mcgee on this. He never understood why folks tell new believers to start with the most difficult of the 4 Gospels-(John) rather than learning first from Matthew,Mark and Luke ( my favorite). }

Then turn to the 2nd Book of the Bible which is Exodus. It is full of not just historical information, but it is where the 10 Commandments are given to Moses from The Lord God Almighty! You will see people time and again complaining about God and Moses, and their food supplies and a host of other things which are still being done thousands of years later by humans.

Now I would suggest you read a chapter at a time---straight through. If you have a question, or something doesn't make sense to you, then get a spiral notebook and a pen/pencil and write down the Book-chapter-verse and put a ? mark on the paper. Then keep reading to the end of the Chapter. Often you will find the answers to the questions in the New Testament books. Be patient. This is a long process that is not done overnight.

Another thing to do/read is a chapter each day from Proverbs. Proverbs has 31 chapters and is a great thing to read while eating breakfast before you head off to work or school. God's wisdom and ways are much different than the world's ideas. At night read a chapter from the Psalms. Start at Chapter 1 verse 1 and go on through.

After you finish the Gospels, start the Acts of the Apostles---before you jump into the Epistles (Letters). Acts takes up where Luke ends. It is the history of the brand new movement known then as "The Way" later known as "Christianity". It covers a span of about 40 years. I think the Epistles will make more sense to you if you start at the beginning of Acts.

Read Revelation L A S T after you have read the Old Testament Prophets. Otherwise you will get diverted onto another "siding", and miss the main "Track" ( to use a little railroad lingo..). Some folks over the years get so bogged down trying to figure out what the various things mean in Revelation , they completely neglect or lack any understanding of things found in the Torah--the 5 Books of Moses. The Base of the house must be laid down first, then lastly the shingles/tiles. Too many Christians spend their time trying to guess about when the Lord is coming back, but only the Lord God in Heaven knows that, not us.

There are some sections of the Bible which may be "slow going" or "dull" to you, but keep going as that way you will gain the understanding you need. The words were breathed by God The Holy Spirit. They are there for a reason. Christ Jesus had many battles/hassles with the Devil, and the Pharisees/Sadducees/Scribes and He was able to overcome them (and anger them) by quoting the Word of God to them.

Hope this helps you.