Current Events Current events, including politics and culture.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:54 AM

you should have been there the first time I ate Dog. I didn't know what it was and it was prepared so deliciously. when they told me my stomach turned. I explained that dog is man's best friend in the States so what I did was tantamount to cannibalism.

the next time I was prepared and it was good.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
you should have been there the first time I ate Dog. I didn't know what it was and it was prepared so deliciously. when they told me my stomach turned. I explained that dog is man's best friend in the States so what I did was tantamount to cannibalism.

the next time I was prepared and it was good.
I don't think I could eat anything that is predatory in nature. I don't think it's natural to do so except in desperate circumstances. All in all I try to only eat those animals defined as acceptable in Leviticus 11, with the exception of Pork. I don't know if I could make it without my ham and sausage.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 AM

it's ok if you do or if you don't as long as we give thanks to God for it.

Levitical laws are for the Jews. but there is no problem for you to follow that as long as you don't force others to do the same or stumble a weaker brother who may feel you are promoting legalism.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
I don't think I could eat anything that is predatory in nature. I don't think it's natural to do so except in desperate circumstances.
Peace and Love,
Stephen
Hmmm... Fish are predatory in nature...
Old 03-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Hmmm... Fish are predatory in nature...
Some are, others are worse, like bottom feeders. Bottom feeders are the swine of the sea. Fish are an interesting subject actually...

But anywho:

Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink. Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king's meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants. So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days. And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king's meat. (Daniel 1:12-15 KJV)

What I choose to eat and not eat isn't about keeping Law, it's about what I believe to be healthy (no I'm not perfect, and yes I love burgers and pizza!!!). I use The Book to guide me in discerning the diet which I believe God would have me to eat. I'm not saying God will judge Christians who eat dainties etc. But I think God will want to know why we treated our bodies the way we did while we occupied in His stead. So in a way, it doesn't matter if you're an obese lentil eating vegetarian or an obese pork crazed, shell fish eating "all is good" kinda guy. In the end, I do believe God will have us give an account for why we let ourselves go if we have done so.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 03-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Some are, others are worse, like bottom feeders. Bottom feeders are the swine of the sea.
Forgive me but I don't understand your meaning here brother.
First you said you wouldn't normally eat anything that is predatory, now we're talking about bottom feeders. Kingfish (Whiting) and Croakers are bottom feeders but they are really delicious eating. The Redfish is a bottom feeder, but they are fully scaled and not anything like a catfish. Halibut and Flounder are bottom feeders, even the highly sought after Pompano is a bottom feeder.

I'm a fisherman, just trying to understand what you are saying... even catfish are delicious eating really... what do you mean by "swine of the sea?"
Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Forgive me but I don't understand your meaning here brother.
First you said you wouldn't normally eat anything that is predatory, now we're talking about bottom feeders. Kingfish (Whiting) and Croakers are bottom feeders but they are really delicious eating. The Redfish is a bottom feeder, but they are fully scaled and not anything like a catfish. Halibut and Flounder are bottom feeders, even the highly sought after Pompano is a bottom feeder.

I'm a fisherman, just trying to understand what you are saying... even catfish are delicious eating really... what do you mean by "swine of the sea?"
Oh, I'm not saying I wouldn't eat those fish. I'm just saying they're the garbage bins of the sea, like the swine are the garbage bins of the land.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Yuch!

What with all of the things we eat it is a good thing that:

Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

We are not defiled by what we eat.

I know what you mean about eating dog Chette. We had goat and dog on somebody's birthday and I only knew they had killed a goat. I gagged when I found they had given me dog meat, I must admit it was very tasty when I ate it though. I must have been around seven or eight years old and I remember crying because I ate our friend's dog.

I can remember my Dad talking about the shortages during the war and the things they ended up eating, at least you are prepared Chette. Americans are so spoiled, I'm glad our Lord is taking us out.

We went to a new Target (store) opening yesterday and the bounty that is spread across America is almost shameful. I kept looking at things and going we can get along without this or that, but then you look at other things just as frivilous (?) and go, "oh I could use that".

I look forward to the Lord's coming and am grateful that His grace is sufficient, and also that He supplies all our needs. He has so graciously supplied many of our wants also.

In Christ Love,
Renee
Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Oh, I'm not saying I wouldn't eat those fish. I'm just saying they're the garbage bins of the sea, like the swine are the garbage bins of the land.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
I'm not sure you understand the nature of the fish I am describing. Redfish and Pompano are in no way "garbage bins of the sea." They feed on live prey items like shrimp, they just do it on the bottom. This is because a lot of the natural prey items like baitfish and shrimp will often hide in the grass on the bottom. It's no big deal, I'm just trying to help you understand not all bottom feeders are scavengers. I could see a hagfish being called a garbage bin, those things are pretty nasty.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Hi again,

I guess I should have quoted the adjoining verses:

Matthew 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Matthew 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Good verses for Peta also.

Again,
Renee