General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Street Preaching

Is street preaching a worthwhile practice? Should one engage in this practice vs. say, one on one witnessing? Or should one do both? What about restrictions on who should preach on the street (married, single, long time christians, etc.) Whad'ya think?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Default Re: "Street Preaching"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
Is street preaching a worthwhile practice? Should one engage in this practice vs. say, one on one witnessing? Or should one do both? What about restrictions on who should preach on the street (married, single, long time christians, etc.) Whad'ya think?

Aloha buzzoff,

It's NOT what we "think" - It's WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
{John 5:39; Acts 17:11; 2 Timothy 2:15}
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha buzzoff,

It's NOT what we "think" - It's WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
{John 5:39; Acts 17:11; 2 Timothy 2:15}
Ok. So what's the best way to find what the bible says?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Ok. So what's the best way to find what the bible says?
  1. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
  2. Get a King James Bible.
  3. Open your Bible. (You should start with John.)
  4. Pray for His direction.
  5. Read it.

The Holy Spirit guides and teaches us in the word of God. If you cannot understand anything you read, you probablly need to be saved.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Is street preaching a worthwhile practice?
Yes. It is a Biblical practise and I believe many lost souls have come to Christ as the result of it, also many Christians have come back to Christ as a result of street preaching.

Quote:
Should one engage in this practice vs. say, one on one witnessing? Or should one do both?
Street preaching is one of many methods of witnessing the gospel, there is no need to compare one method with another. I would say that every street preacher also witnesses one on one, especially when out on the streets before or after his preaching session, but not every Christian who witnesses one on one (and we all should) is a street preacher.

Quote:
What about restrictions on who should preach on the street (married, single, long time christians, etc.) Whad'ya think?
Simply put, you don't just decide one day to go out street preaching, but rather you are sent out to do it by God, it's a calling. It is not for the faint hearted, and it is not for the novice new Christian who is unskillful in the word of God.

Romans 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Preaching "on the street" is really the oldest form of preaching there is. It is probably better termed "public preaching", for it consists of taking the word of God to the public (masses, perhaps), and outside the four walls of today's churches.

Be certain not the form an opinion of the practice based on videos you might find online. Most of them are posted for their entertainment value and do not give a true image of the biblical practice.

Instead, search the scriptures. Just to get you started, consider where Enoch would have been found preaching his sermon found in the epistle of Jude. Run through the whole Book, and you'll find that they were all "taking it to the streets."

Jer 11:6 Then the LORD said unto me, Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, saying, Hear ye the words of this covenant, and do them.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
BroBill

It really grieves my heart to see that this is a dying form of preaching (dying, as in not practiced as much as it used to be)....and it's a shame that more CHRISTians (especially in bigger cities) don't practice it, and that more preachers don't disciple their flocks and equip them for street preaching!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
Simply put, you don't just decide one day to go out street preaching, but rather you are sent out to do it by God, it's a calling. It is not for the faint hearted, and it is not for the novice new Christian who is unskillful in the word of God.
See I thought that as well, but I've read some material recently in which the author thinks that, while everyone might not be called to actually preach on the street, that everyone should be involved in street ministry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
  1. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
  2. Get a King James Bible.
  3. Open your Bible. (You should start with John.)
  4. Pray for His direction.
  5. Read it.

The Holy Spirit guides and teaches us in the word of God. If you cannot understand anything you read, you probablly need to be saved.
I guess I should've been more clear. Or, more specifically, finished my thought. What I Meant was, what's the best way to find what the Bible says on a given subject?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I guess I should've been more clear. Or, more specifically, finished my thought. What I Meant was, what's the best way to find what the Bible says on a given subject?
I believe he understood you perfectly.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
I believe he understood you perfectly.
Perhaps. I've gone to church most of my life. But yet I'm still a "babe," if not unsaved. I have issues to work through.