General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Scofield's. He has some good notes, but seeing as he's a Presbyterian, he's quite off track. His references are good from what I've seen though.

This is why I like the Thompson Chain. Yes, Thompson was a Methodist. But, since his reference Bible has no notes, and the references are mostly topical, it's pretty much influence free.

Now, if you already understand what a particular passage means and won't be confused or taken off track, you should be fine. But I don't recommend reading any notes on something that you are unsure on, unless you can take it with a grain of salt, and not let it lead you, instead of the Spirit.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
Ok. So stick with the Scofield. Now the next question is, how do I go about reading and studying the Bible? And how much time per day or week to spend in each?
Avoid turning your time in the word into a religious exercise. Nothing burns me out faster than feeling like I have to stick to some prescribed regimen when reading the Bible.

But there must be balance: your flesh won't want to read the Book, so you still have to whip it into submission on occasion and start doing it even if you don't want to. (Yes, I know this seems like conflicting advice, but I hope you can understand the point about balance I am trying to make).

Understanding the word is all about the spirit, and you just can't force it. My suggestion is to make yourself start reading, and then read until you feel full. You will never exhaust all that the Book has to offer.

Maybe start reading in the book of John. If a verse perks your interest, run Scofield's cross-references and see what else the Book says. Use a Bible program (I'll leave it to others to suggest which one) to search words and phrases that interest your spirit at the moment. Need some help studying a topic? Post in the doctrine forum with specific questions.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 AM

Hi Buzzoff! You have been given good advice. I also use the Old Scofield and rarely even look at the references, but use it because I have so many of my own notes written in it as well as underlined scripture and stuff. My grandpa preached from an Old Scofield for years, so it's good enough for me.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Yeah, as I said in another topic, I'll probably go with Scofield. I like the Evidence Bible, but there are a lot of things put in the text itself which really distracts from the Holy Word. So, I guess my next question is--What's the difference in reading and study and how much time should one spend in each?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, as I said in another topic, I'll probably go with Scofield. I like the Evidence Bible, but there are a lot of things put in the text itself which really distracts from the Holy Word. So, I guess my next question is--What's the difference in reading and study and how much time should one spend in each?
I read my Bible each day, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours.

For me, the difference between reading and study is listed in the Bible itself: we are to meditate upon God's word. So, as I read, I look over the words, and ask myself what is really being said here, what does it mean, to whom is it aimed?

And I write lots of cross references in the margins. Today while our pastor was teaching, he touched upon Deuteronomy 17:15...and I made the mental connection to John 19:15. Woo! I love "Aha!" moments like that!

I recommend reading several chapters in one sitting, if you can, because you understand the context better than if you just read a few verses, or one chapter.

I'm sure others here will have some great suggestions as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone. I'm glad to be here! I have allowed myself to be confused so badly. I have, like, four different bibles. One is The Evidence Bible. It's a "Comfort-able" KJV, according to them. Another is the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible. It's NKJV. Another is The Student Bible. It's KJV, but some stuff is changed. The last I have is an Old Scofield Bible my mom gave me one year for Christmas. The question is this. If one of these other KJV's changes some of the words, should it be used? For example, The Evidence Bible is supposedly KJV, but it changes thee's, thou's and what not. The NKJV of course, I've read enough on Brandon's page to realize not to use it. I don't know, it just seems like the Scofield one is...and I hate to put it this way, but...boring. Not to mention, The Evidence Bible is awesome as far as helping me share my faith. It's got stuff like scientific facts in the bible, how to witness to different faiths, Answering questions and objections...a lot of stuff. I don't know...what do you guys think? I've prayed a lot and I'm just still confused!
The Evidence Bible is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it is really good with it's information and Q&A portions. But on the other hand, if you read the notes too much, you'll get a skewed view of God as one who only gives out eternal life if man is willing to be good and stop sinning and reform his life (Lordship Salvation). Ray Comfort is a dangerous teacher I believe. He has no clear statement of faith (from what I can find) regarding things like Eternal Security etc. He appears on TV with Word of Faith preachers (Joyce Meyer), and seems to be very ecumenical in nature. This is no surprise. His "Repentance" focused gospel is another gospel which is not another. It's Roman Catholicism in disguise.