General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Bump. Rolando... You still out there ?
Yes I am brother and sorry I didn't answer sooner (I didn't know you were expecting a reply). It's Christmas Eve right and I'm about to get ready to meet my family.

Quote:
The Christmas hymns are full of great Christology/Theology. I'd suggest you go over to a website www.cyberhymnal.com and look/listen at the words to sing “Hark the Herald Angels-Glory to the new born King" and many others in the Christmas section. "Oh little town of Bethlehem" , "Angels we have heard on high".
I went over Hark the Herald and I got to say I now love this carol and have been singing over and over. Anyway as for the Christmas Church service, I kind of already went a few days ago and the Church I attend has the day off tommorrow and I really don't feel very comfortable going to different churches (having gone out of a counterfeit church myself). Anyway, this year will be best Christmas so far in my life because I'm now a born again believer of the Lord Jesus Christ. I got an undeserving gift (eternal life) from GOD and, what more could I ask?

PS:
Quote:
BTW--- Many will tell you that Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th... So what! Remember the Saviour's Birth and tell folks "Merry Christmas"! Irritate a liberal and the nearby atheist, and the J.W.'s. Revelation 5:12
I kind of been doing and have seen some confused expressions from some. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and all my other brothers and sisters in Christ.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-25-2008, 12:19 AM

Hello Rolando. No, you didn't need to reply, but I was a little concerned about yaa--- You are in a BIG city not known as a haven for Biblical Christianity-(but much "Religion")- and you are a new Believer, so I just wanted to make sure "things" didn't "getcha down".

As for visiting/going to different churches... It can be a good idea, as you may learn something that another Church never touches/mentions. Be sure and call them on the Telephone and ASK them questions. Don't TELL them what you believe, but Ask them;
A.) What does your Church say about the Bible..? { Correct answer: It is the Written Word of God and is True from Genesis to Revelation.}
B.) What does your Church teach about Jesus Christ..? { Correct answer: He is God the Son/Lord and Saviour/Redeemer/King of kings/Lamb of God. + many others!}
C.) How does a human being get to Heaven..? { Correct answer = should be a combination statement mentioning John 14:6 and Acts 16:30-31 .} If they hem-and-haw and don't answer directly, then say "goodbye" and hang up the phone. Those are the Basics. There are other things that are not essential to argue about-- but those 3 items are very important! If you know all this, just disregard my jabber... For some years I taught Sunday School, and helped in a V.B.S. and talked to /guided many customers when I worked at 2 Christian Book stores. I always tried to get folks to understand the Basics of The Faith... before the wolves dressed in sheep's clothing came looking for a snack.
One last thing I do each Christmas Eve/Christmas night, is to read Luke chapter 1 and 2 or Matthew chapter 1 and 2 . Whether you are single or married/have children...it's good to "think on these things".
Old 12-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Bro. Parrish

Merry Christmas to everyone, God bless...
Old 12-31-2008, 05:39 PM

Anybody here celebrates the three Kings/Wiseman day? I know it's mostly done in Hispanic countries. I think this holyday takes place somewhere around the fifth , sixth, or seventh of January.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 AM

Hello. Nope I had not heard of that one. I do know that the Greek Orthodox and the Russians celebrate Christmas later than Dec. 25th . For the Russians, it is on Jan.7th.

The Anglican (Episcopal in the U.S.A.) Church in the Book of Common Prayer has a service for Jan. 6th which is "Epiphany" in which the Collect (group prayer) and the Gospel reading ( from St. Matthew) both mention the Star and the 3 magi.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Anybody here celebrates the three Kings/Wiseman day? I know it's mostly done in Hispanic countries. I think this holyday takes place somewhere around the fifth , sixth, or seventh of January.
One of the Residents in our department (of medicine) is originally from Puerto Rico, and he asked me if we were going to keep the Christmas decorations up until Monday (Jan. 5). When I asked why, he said that it's a tradition to keep Christmas decorations on display until after the first Sunday in January, or "Three Kings' Day".

I'd not heard of that before.

BTW, where in the Bible does it say that there were "three kings" or even "three wise men"?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
One of the Residents in our department (of medicine) is originally from Puerto Rico, and he asked me if we were going to keep the Christmas decorations up until Monday (Jan. 5). When I asked why, he said that it's a tradition to keep Christmas decorations on display until after the first Sunday in January, or "Three Kings' Day".

I'd not heard of that before.

BTW, where in the Bible does it say that there were "three kings" or even "three wise men"?
The answer is nowhere. This is a tradition of some Hispanic countries that supposedly celebrates the three Kings/Magi/Wise men (who came following the star) giving gifts to the new born King; and these countries use that as a excuse to give their children gifts this day instead of Christmas day.

Although this isn't in the Bible, I find this celebration much better than the heathen's waiting for Santa Claus on the 25th of December to give you a gift, because this at least acknowledges the birth of Christ. So should those countries stop celebrating this holyday because it isn't in the Bible? Maybe they should, but this argument could also be said for Christmas.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM

The Bible says that wise men from the East came bearing three gifts, and people take that and say "three wise men!" or run to "The Greek" (probably) and say "kings!" Either way, the Bible doesn't say how many, and they obviously didn't show up a week after Jesus was born; Matthew 2:11 says that Jesus was a "young child," not an infant. This was likely at least a year after His birth: why else would Herod have called for all children 2 years old and younger to be killed? Remember, he inquired about what time the star first appeared so he knew how old Jesus would be, almost to the day.