General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Rightful_Thinking

Default What Christians Read ---

I didn't want to hijack the recent thread on Christian Horror fiction, so I thought I'd start one on a slightly different note.

What, other than the Bible, do you read?

I'm specifically curious about political literature, such as the writings of Newt Gingrich, Dick Morris, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Bennett, Bill O'Reily, Ann Coulter, etc?

Read it? Avoid it? Censor it?

My husband is ex-Navy and fiercely patriotic. I ordered Bill Bennett's "The American Patriot's Almanac" for his birthday.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Forum Administrator

When I read fiction, I read Sci Fi. Usually Military Sci Fi or Hard Sci Fi. I generally read one or two Sci Fi novels a year. I used to read it a lot more; I just don't have the time for it any more.

More often you will find me reading non-fiction. If it's not a book on Bible topics, it's usually historical and/or political.

I've read a few of Ann Coulter's (a name you mentioned) books. They are entertaining and are well-referenced. Other authors I like are Sowell, Borke, Levin, Lott, etc.

Right now I am reading The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes. It's a fascinating history of the Great Depression.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM

RT,

Quote:
What, other than the Bible, do you read?

Marx, Rand, Smith, von Mises, DiLorenzo, Rothbard, Ruckman, Rice, Hayles, Pink with many others.

Mags/news Papers: Dallas Morning News, Financial Planning, The Register, Financial Advisor Magazine, Sword of the Lord, Bible Believers Bulletin, Life Insurance Selling, Wall St. Journal, Financial Services Online and other industry publications. I get most financial mags and newspapers for free!

I read a lot of history, economics and financial books and mags. Read all you can it will help you. Whatever industry you are in you must keep up to date in the industry. Your job should be very important to you.

Atlas
Old 11-07-2008, 08:03 PM

I enjoy non-fiction by Brothers Ruckman, Grady, Larkin and Sister Riplinger.

As far as 'Christian fiction', I've read the Left Behind series, Prophet by Frank Peretti (and another one by Peretti, the title escapes me right now), and have read some Beverly Lewis.

I like intelligent SciFi, so I read books by CJ Cherryh, Robert Heinlein (although some of them I can't read anymore due to an anti-God bias), and have recently discovered Orson Scott Card's 'Ender' series.

I recently re-read Roger Zelazny's Amber series, and enjoyed it, again. Other fantasy authors I still appreciate include Tolkien and Wendy Pini.

I like adventure books by Louis L'Amour, mysteries by Sharon Kay Penman and Stuart Kaminsky, as well as some old goodies like Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin.

And I go to the library about once a week...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:30 PM

I like OLD mysteries like Sherlock Holmes or Nero Wolfe, but I've kind of read through all of those already. I read Sci-Fi on the lighter side. Some Fantasy. When I have the time. Mostly I have time for magazines for "free time" reading these days.

I'm currently reading "The politically incorrect guide to global warming and environmentalism".

In no particular order I like to read things on organizing, cleaning, homeschooling, cooking, history, health/fitness, poetry, crafts, animals, gardening, parenting, marriage, fertility, and womanhood. I read an occasional autobiography and the political book or two that Diligent has suggested as something I might enjoy.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 AM

I to like to read quite a bit. The books I've read reflect the states I've gone through in my life. In regards to fiction, I've always enjoyed fantasy. I however don't allow myself to read those books anymore so I stick with nonfiction at the moment until I find something I can read and feel good about. I've read heaps of computer books, mostly pertaining to maintaining unix and linux systems. I've also read quite a few books on programming computers in C and Common Lisp. Lately, I've been reading books on homesteading. If I ever find myself in a financial situation where I can buy a chunk of land somewhere, I want to live sustainably, and frugally. I WANT CHICKENS, rofl Anywho... my current stack of book awaiting my eyes includes:

Peter Ruckman's commentary on Genesis (just came in the mail today!).
The Temple and Bible Prophesy by Randal Price
and finally the Gail Riplinger book I've not got around to yet "Understanding the King James Bible"

I've also got a few others in a pile that I haven't read yet. They're low priority at the moment as I've recently purposed to study Dispensationalism. Currently I'm nearly done with "One Book Rightly Divided" by Dr. Douglas D. Stauffer. I also plan to gorge myself on as much Ruckman as I can afford when I've had my fill of books on dispensationalism.

Much Love in Christ,
Stephen
Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
I like OLD mysteries like Sherlock Holmes or Nero Wolfe, but I've kind of read through all of those already. I read Sci-Fi on the lighter side. Some Fantasy. When I have the time. Mostly I have time for magazines for "free time" reading these days.

I'm currently reading "The politically incorrect guide to global warming and environmentalism".

In no particular order I like to read things on organizing, cleaning, homeschooling, cooking, history, health/fitness, poetry, crafts, animals, gardening, parenting, marriage, fertility, and womanhood. I read an occasional autobiography and the political book or two that Diligent has suggested as something I might enjoy.
Do you ever find yourself calling him Diligent outside of these forums?

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
If I ever find myself in a financial situation where I can buy a chunk of land somewhere, I want to live sustainably, and frugally. I WANT CHICKENS,
I keep saying I want chickens and a nanny goat. Not sure what the neighbors would think of that...

Chickens for eggs. Not so much the meat as I've done that and slaughter is messy and the whole plucking thing is stinky. But, I like eggs.

Nanny goat cause I like goat milk (Lower sugar content and less allergenic.) and goats make good hedge trimmers to keep the fences cleared as well as the grass down in the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
Do you ever find yourself calling him Diligent outside of these forums?
Not yet... Diligent is a new one over the years. I have called him B since I usually use that to shorten in text. I usually use DH (Dear Hubby) most of the time, but that isn't an acronym we use often here so I use Diligent since that is what he goes by. Plus, I figured Hon' is a tad too "informal" for the forum and Sweetie might cause the diabetics to overload.

I do however answer in person to JaeByrd, Jae or JB.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
I keep saying I want chickens and a nanny goat. Not sure what the neighbors would think of that...
Woo hoo! Yes! That's what I want, too.

Maybe once I get my surgery done, and recover, I can get the chickens, at least. I had about a dozen banty chickens when my kids were small, and they were fun. The eggs were very good, too!

Quote:
Nanny goat cause I like goat milk (Lower sugar content and less allergenic.) and goats make good hedge trimmers to keep the fences cleared as well as the grass down in the yard.
Yep, yep...

Quote:
Not yet... Diligent is a new one over the years. I have called him B since I usually use that to shorten in text. I usually use DH (Dear Hubby) most of the time, but that isn't an acronym we use often here so I use Diligent since that is what he goes by. Plus, I figured Hon' is a tad too "informal" for the forum and Sweetie might cause the diabetics to overload.
LOL! I use 'dh' as well when I refer to my husband. He doesn't get on the computer at all, or I'd steer him here.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:43 PM

A "confession": I only read fiction that was required me of school, and my favorite fiction was and is Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.

I'm a nonfiction guy, reading mostly Bible-related materials. To give you an idea what I mostly enjoy reading (and viewing/listening), here's a list of "favorites": Bancroft, Schafer,Evans, Cambron, Schaff, Pink, Wilmington, Greene, Torrey, Hyles, Schaap, Rice, Suteck, Burgon, Hills, Cloud, Waite, Morris, Hovind, Fuller, Melton, Scofield, Larkin, Ryrie, Bullinger, Stam, Sadler, Blue,Stauffer, Grady, Vance, Gipp,Reagan, Knox, Riplinger, Ruckman, and Reese. Other than Bible-related materials would be required school textbooks and newspaper. Also, A.V.1611.com forums, etc. etc.