Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Default Not I, but Christ

I've been a born-again believer now for 29 years. But it has been about the last seven years, or so, that God has used a severe (disabling) personal trial in my life to teach the life changing truth of the all-sufficiency of Jesus Christ. Simple truth, but deeply profound. Like all truth, He opens our spiritual eyes of understanding and perception in His good time.

By His Spirit, through His Word, He is teaching me the glorious truth that Jesus Christ is really the only Person Who can live the genuine Christian life. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).

"...by the faith of the Son of God...."

My understanding is that the faith I now have is not from my own commitments, disciplines, resolve, or attitudes. It's not something I do or even purpose to do. It's Christ in me, equipping me and enabling me (through His Word and by His Spirit) to trust Him with my whole heart. And now, I should simply be:"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2). He is the beginning and the end...and everything in between.

What is your understanding of "...by the faith of the Son of God...."?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM

I agree Forrest.

This truth has been known for centuries. the one man who wrote very simply and clearly on that very subject was Lewis Sperry Chafer in his book "He that is Spiritual" it is about the Holy Ghost and his Relationship to the believer. and discribed in the pages are the very things you stated. the book was writtenin 1918.

send me an email and I will send you a zip file of the book if you like

blesssings
Old 08-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
By His Spirit, through His Word, He is teaching me the glorious truth that Jesus Christ is really the only Person Who can live the genuine Christian life. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).

"...by the faith of the Son of God...."

My understanding is that the faith I now have is not from my own commitments, disciplines, resolve, or attitudes. It's not something I do or even purpose to do. It's Christ in me, equipping me and enabling me (through His Word and by His Spirit) to trust Him with my whole heart. And now, I should simply be:"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2). He is the beginning and the end...and everything in between.

What is your understanding of "...by the faith of the Son of God...."?
I have come to the same understanding as you. And it is a wonderful, beautiful blessing to grasp it: God has given me the faith of Christ! This does not mean God has given me my belief -- it means that Christ's faith (his righteousness and works are part of it) is imputed to me so that my sin is not imputed to me. When God looks at me at judgment, he will see the faith of his Son. Is there anything as wonderful to think about in the world as this?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Amen Brother. I pray that you come through your trial with even more grace and understanding.

1st John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
1st Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you
Romans 4:22-24
And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead

He knew no sin, He became as sin so that we who knew no righteousness, could become righteous through Our LORD Jesus Christ taking all our sins onto His body to be Crucified. What a Wonderful and amazing Truth! My God done all that for me, and what am I ? I am nothing without Him.

2nd Corinthians 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him

In My Saviour's name, The LORD Jesus Christ.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM

I to grew when I learned more about the workings of the Holy Spirit. He means so much, without His work we would not be drawn to salvation, we would not have the faith to believe, we would not even have conviction for sin. In our walk with God He make intercession for us. The more wewe subject to His will the more faith He gives. He shows us our sin. He alows Gods will tyo be known in our lives. He helps us reach our goals. He comforts us. I thank God for giving us the Holy Spirit. What an age to live in. I really cannot imagine what it would be like in a world where He was not there.