Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests here.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:48 PM

Default My battle with the world

1 John 2:15 (KJV) Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

My brothers and sisters, I'm really struggling with something. I'm battling finding balance in my walk as a Christian. In my early years as a Christian I still practiced a lot of things that mature Christians would consider to be carnal. As I grew in the faith God began to give me new eyes. I now see a world full of complete wickedness, and I don't want to be entangled in any of those things. But the struggle is that even things that aren't innately wicked can entangle. Things like reading a fictional book concern me (I posted on this at baptist1611). I find that with myself I often obsess over everything that I find interesting. And I worry that if I read a book I like it will take my focus off of Christ.

Romans 14:23 (KJV) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Really any hobbie could become a distraction. This really concerns me. I don't want to become distracted. How do I find balance? Should I allow myself to get involved with hobbies and recreational activities that aren't "of faith"? My faith and love for Jesus Christ is so on fire right now, and I don't want that to change.

*sigh* I wasn't sure when I began to write this if I'd be able to truly express my concern in this post. So I guess my prayer request is that I would find this balance, and that God would use me EVERY DAY to bring glory to Him.

Philippians 3:7-14 (KJV) But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 PM

When the hobbies and the things of the world take you away from your time with the Lord, then it should be an issue.

If my time on the message boards takes me away from Christ, then I should cut back and give more of my time to Him.

But the fellowship and the discussions here, even the silly stuff, are beneficial.

My opinion.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
1 John 2:15 (KJV) Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

My brothers and sisters, I'm really struggling with something. I'm battling finding balance in my walk as a Christian. In my early years as a Christian I still practiced a lot of things that mature Christians would consider to be carnal. As I grew in the faith God began to give me new eyes. I now see a world full of complete wickedness, and I don't want to be entangled in any of those things. But the struggle is that even things that aren't innately wicked can entangle. Things like reading a fictional book concern me (I posted on this at baptist1611). I find that with myself I often obsess over everything that I find interesting. And I worry that if I read a book I like it will take my focus off of Christ.

Romans 14:23 (KJV) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Really any hobbie could become a distraction. This really concerns me. I don't want to become distracted. How do I find balance? Should I allow myself to get involved with hobbies and recreational activities that aren't "of faith"? My faith and love for Jesus Christ is so on fire right now, and I don't want that to change.

*sigh* I wasn't sure when I began to write this if I'd be able to truly express my concern in this post. So I guess my prayer request is that I would find this balance, and that God would use me EVERY DAY to bring glory to Him.

Philippians 3:7-14 (KJV) But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Dear brother, your concern in this matter is like a breath of fresh air. But you mustn't allow it to become a worry. It's like the baptism thing: you're absolutely right to be seriously concerned, but you mustn't let the Enemy paralyze or incapacititate you with fear - - - in this case, fear of displeasing God.

We should all have that fear, of course; it's part of the overall fear of God that is such an inestimably large part of the victorious Christian life. But we can't allow the Enemy to twist or distort it.

I don't know what to tell you about "leisure activities," except that, to some degree, they're necessary. I've already spoken, in the other forum, about reading material; I won't repeat myself here. But you can't study, pray, and witness 24/7, however much you'd like to.

Here's an example of what I mean: I don't know if you're married, or if you have kids. But a married man enjoying a physical relationship with his wife is a necessary and God-pleasing part of life; it's not a "waste of time." If you have a little boy, taking him to a baseball game (in person) is not a sinful waste of time; it's part of building the parental bond, so you can raise him in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. If you have a little girl, sitting down and having a "tea party" with her is the same kinda thing. (Do little girls even have tea parties any more?) And, if you're single, it's no sin to read a biography or enjoy participating in a game with other believers, whether chess or softball. Yes, those things can become "idols;" but then, so can your wardrobe. You can get so concerned with presenting a respectable, "godly" appearance that you become a clothes horse, or vanity kicks in.

The key to living in this fallen, sinful flesh is balance. And perfectly "balanced" Christians are very rare!

Thereis a huge difference between the Lord's conviction and the Enemy's condemnation. Don't ever get them mixed up!

If you have specific concerns, and want to get 'em off your chest, PM me at the other forum. But don't be harder on yourself than the Holy Spirit is, brother!

And don't get discouraged! You're obviously on the right track; just the keep your eyes on the Lord, and not on the track itself!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Brother, I've had some major issues over the last seven years.

I remember a time when I wanted to sin (unsaved), and then I remember coming to Christ, and then I remember not wanting to sin (saved), but being unable to stop. And for seven years, I have struggled with some pretty vile sins. There were times when I almost gave up, but God has never let me go. I'm recovering now. I am gaining ground for the Lord. I am bearing fruit (joy, peace, happiness), which is what I was not doing before. There are a lot of things in my life that I KNOW I waste a lot of time on (xbox for example), but I am making more and more time for God. I continually pray all day long, and I am actively fighting much sin in my life.

Sometimes I think I was only saved in the last few years, when I really got convicted about my personal prayer life and bible reading and sin. But I know it doesn't matter WHEN I got saved, but that I AM saved. And I know that in the last few years, I have come to Christ many times for forgiveness of sins, in repentance, and I am trusting His blood alone to get me home.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 PM

God gave us all things to richly enjoy; I think that includes Xbox (mine is at a friend's house haha) and my Mac. I enjoy using them, and as far as my Mac goes, it's a tool that I can use in His service. However, I believe the problem enters when those things that we use for amusement either come before or take up more time than our service to God. I know I used to spend hours on end posting on half a dozen forums; it got to where Googling my username will return thousands of hits. But later I realized that I was spending too much time on relatively unproductive things, when I could be doing more for Him.

I'm by no means even close to where I need to be in my Christian walk; I'm still young and hot-blooded and lack some wisdom and experience that comes with age. However, I think the Lord has used some circumstances in my life to at least help me understand the correct priorities in life, though I must confess that I'm not the best at actually prioritizing properly. But with God's help I'm doing what I can to honor and glorify Him. That's what it's all about.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 AM

Vendetta Ride wrote:
Quote:
The key to living in this fallen, sinful flesh is balance. And perfectly "balanced" Christians are very rare!

Thereis a huge difference between the Lord's conviction and the Enemy's condemnation. Don't ever get them mixed up!

MC1171611 wrote:
Quote:
I'm by no means even close to where I need to be in my Christian walk; I'm still young and hot-blooded and lack some wisdom and experience that comes with age. However, I think the Lord has used some circumstances in my life to at least help me understand the correct priorities in life, though I must confess that I'm not the best at actually prioritizing properly. But with God's help I'm doing what I can to honor and glorify Him. That's what it's all about.
I'm older than MC1171611 and younger than Vendetta Ride and still struggle to maintain that balance although at least now I know what it is!

Age, wisdom, experience, maturity you can't rush. But by staying close to the Lord and in His word, and tweaking your life with the help of Godly counsel to bring it in line with Holy Spirit conviction (NOT the enemy's accusations), eventually things do begin to fall into place.

I never thought I'd be able to say that about myself.

Stay on the right track and things will eventually fall into place for you too.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Brother Stephen...

John the Baptist said, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30). For many years I focused on my need to decrease. However, once I began to focus on Christ increasing, my decreasing took care of itself.

Simply love Jesus Christ, Stephen. Know Him. And follow Him. He's enough. You are complete in Him (Colossians 2:10). As a shepherd leads his sheep, so the Good Shepherd will guide you. He will direct your paths. He will show you what to do and when to do it. You can trust Him, dear brother. You are free in Christ to do what He directs you to do!

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Brother Stephen...

John the Baptist said, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30). For many years I focused on my need to decrease. However, once I began to focus on Christ increasing, my decreasing took care of itself.

Simply love Jesus Christ, Stephen. Know Him. And follow Him. He's enough. You are complete in Him (Colossians 2:10). As a shepherd leads his sheep, so the Good Shepherd will guide you. He will direct your paths. He will show you what to do and when to do it. You can trust Him, dear brother. You are free in Christ to do what He directs you to do!

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Amen Forrest! Your post reminds me of something my unsaved boss told me just before I left work: "Love God, and everything else will fall into place."
Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Thank you everyone. You know, I had hoped to include a Psalm in this post, but alas I can't choose one. Are they not all worthy to be continually quoted!

Ok, wait, I have one. I will only quote the first part because it's a mountain of a gem.

Psalms 18:2-7 (KJV) The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears. Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth.

I cried as I read this psalm. My God is going to come down from His throne in heaven someday because He's heard our cries and praises! This is our great hope! I can find comfort in this in this dark and perverse generation.

A fool for Jesus,
Stephen
Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM

I LOVE that psalm. I picture God as a father who sees his little one being badgered by a bunch of neighborhood bullies. He's had enough and its time for some reckoning. Wow! I'm glad to be on the right side! There can be no better picture word than "wroth" here.