General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM

Brother, we have all been there. It's been pointed out I've added the bold. Just strengthen your faith. The 'feelgood' will not seem as important as understanding grows within. Keep it simple, keep in the word. FEED your spirit.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

As Diligent pointed out
Quote:
Have you heard? Do you believe?

Your salvation is settled.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I have a constant nagging in my own mind. I oft fear that I am not saved. Now, I have mentioned this before on this forum and another, but my thoughts are becoming clearer now. I'm not sure if I have or do trust in Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I thought I did, I don't remember now.

I've sinned greatly against God and hate my sin, yet often find myself committing it again and again willfully.

I'm pretty much at the end of my tether. I used to fight it. I am wanting God to forgive me and turn my heart away from it and totally to Him.

My problem is with forgiveness... can God forgive me?
Let me make it simple.

Salvation? Jesus Christ
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved
Faith? Jesus Christ
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Word? Jesus Christ
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Do you want the word to be alive? Then see the incarnate Word each time you read it. Keep looking unto Jesus.

Truth? Jesus Christ
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Victory? Jesus Christ
Romans 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Strength? Jesus Christ
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Forgiveness? Jesus Christ
Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Justification? Jesus Christ
Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
It's Jesus...Luke.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Bro. Parrish

Well Luke, what do you think about all those comments?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Luke

You need assurance. You are never going to know assurance by your feelings. Feelings have nothing to do with your salvation.

1) Do you realize you are a lost sinner who is guilty before God and cannot save yourself?

By your very words here you admit you are a sinner in need of Christ.

2)Do you believe Jesus is the Son of God, that He paid for your sins by going to the cross, shedding his blood, that He died, was buried, and after 3 days rose from the dead? -

I can't answer for you, but I think you believe all this.

3) Have your trusted Christ?

Have you prayed and asked Jesus to forgive your sins, and told him you receive his as your savior?

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The Bible says if you called upon Jesus to be your savior, you are saved.

Revelations 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Jesus is already knocking at the door of your heart. Have you invited Jesus into your heart? If so the Bible says you are saved.

Have you come to Jesus as best you know how in your heart and asked He forgive you?

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Jesus knows EVERYTHING. If you have prayed to Jesus in your heart and asked Him to forgive your sins, he KNOWS. And He has promised not to turn you down under any circumstance.

Isaiah 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Have you looked to Jesus and no one else to save you? Then the Bible says you are saved.

John 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

Have you simply asked Jesus for everlasting life? Then Jesus promised He would give it to you.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Look Luke

Ask
Seek
Knock

Luke, believeing is not a feeling. Believeing is a choice. Everyone is able to believe if they choose to do so.

Look at all these verses. They are all about believeing. Each one is a way to believe.

If you've asked Jesus to save you, then you have believed.

If you've come to Jesus to save you, then you have believed.

If you've opened your heart to receive Jesus, then you have believed.

If you've looked to Jesus to save you, then you have believed.

If you simply want Jesus to save you, then you have believed.

Revelations 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Are you willing to let Jesus save you? Jesus knows your heart.

Do not go by your feelings. Go by God's Word. If you know you are a sinner that cannot save yourself, and believe only Jesus the Son of God can save you, and you have gone to Jesus in any of these ways, then the Bible says you are saved.

Last edited by Winman; 03-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 PM

I'm just reading over them slowly. My first instinct is to post something like "yes, I know BUT" and then come up with another reason for struggling. It's almost like I am comfortable in this place of despair. I am going to keep reading through and praying over them. Thank you all for your comments
Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Bro. Parrish

Luke, I have seen this before but it usually passes.
I think with prayer and God's Word you will get assurance.

You know I had a room mate in college who suffered from hypochondriasis.
This is a very real disorder, you can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondriasis

He was always worried about his health, always felt like he was sick or getting sick, always going to the doctor. I wonder if there could be cases of something like "salvation-chondria" (?) ...I'm not suggesting that there is, just thinking and typing...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Luke, I have seen this before but it usually passes.
I think with prayer and God's Word you will get assurance.

You know I had a room mate in college who suffered from hypochondriasis.
This is a very real disorder, you can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondriasis

He was always worried about his health, always felt like he was sick or getting sick, always going to the doctor. I wonder if there could be cases of something like "salvation-chondria" (?) ...I'm not suggesting that there is, just thinking and typing...
Brother Parrish, when we are born as humans, we are born with diseases we must be immunized against. When we are born again we are still born with spiritual diseases we must be immunized against, the Great Vaccine being the word of God.

You're dead-on accurate here Brother.

Grace and peace to you

Tony
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Luke

Two men are standing in an airplane door at 10,000 feet altitude getting ready to jump.

One man is completely confident. The other is terrified and afraid he is going to die.

They both jump.

Who is trusting or believeing the parachute to get them down to earth safely.

THEY BOTH ARE!

Trusting or believeing is not a feeling, it is a choice. When the fearful man jumped out of the plane, he chose to trust the parachute.

If you had enough faith to pray to Jesus to save you, then you had enough faith in Jesus to save you.

Don't look the wrong direction. Don't look at yourself. We fail. Look at Jesus. Jesus never fails, Jesus never lies, Jesus will never deceive you. Jesus promised to save you if you came to Him.

If you came to Jesus, he saved you whether you feel good or bad.

Mark 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. 25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him. 26 And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead. 27 But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.

Luke, this man struggled with fear and unbelief, but Jesus still cast the devil out of his son. And you must remember here, that that the disciples had already unsuccessfully tried to cast the devil out. So, this poor man had some reason to fear.

But he had enough faith to come to Jesus, and that was enough.

If you have come to Jesus, then the Bible says you are saved.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Brother Parrish, when we are born as humans, we are born with diseases we must be immunized against. When we are born again we are still born with spiritual diseases we must be immunized against, the Great Vaccine being the word of God.

You're dead-on accurate here Brother.

Grace and peace to you

Tony
Tony that is interesting, hey that reminds me of another recent thread Bro. Kiwi started called "religious baggage"---Luke you might want to see if there is some insight for you here:
http://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1099
Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 PM

Here are some wise words from Charles Spurgeon that offer some good advice for all of us.

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.”—Matthew 4:1.

Holy character does not avert temptation—Jesus was tempted. When Satan tempts us, his sparks fall upon tinder; but in Christ’s case, it was like striking sparks on water; yet the enemy continued his evil work.

Now, if the devil goes on striking when there is no result, how much more will he do it when he knows what inflammable stuff our hearts are made of. Though you become greatly sanctified by the Holy Ghost, expect that the great dog of hell will bark at you still. In the haunts of men we expect to be tempted, but even seclusion will not guard us from the same trial.

Jesus Christ was led away from human society into the wilderness, and was tempted of the devil. Solitude has its charms and its benefits, and may be useful in checking the lust of the eye and the pride of life; but the devil will follow us into the most lovely retreats.

Do not suppose that it is only the worldly-minded who have dreadful thoughts and blasphemous temptations, for even spiritual-minded persons endure the same; and in the holiest position we may suffer the darkest temptation. The utmost consecration of spirit will not insure you against Satanic temptation. Christ was consecrated through and through. It was His meat and drink to do the will of Him that sent Him: and yet He was tempted!

Your hearts may glow with a seraphic flame of love to Jesus, and yet the devil will try to bring you down to Laodicean lukewarmness. If you will tell me when God permits a Christian to lay aside his armour, I will tell you when Satan has left off temptation. Like the old knights in war time, we must sleep with helmet and breastplate buckled on, for the arch-deceiver will seize our first unguarded hour to make us his prey.

The Lord keep us watchful in all seasons, and give us a final escape from the jaw of the lion and the paw of the bear.