Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Pastor Mikie

Default Sarcasm

I picked up this post in another thread. I'm hoping to get a discussion going on the subject of "sarcasm". Here's the quote:

Someone made a suggestion about "sarcasm and mocking" as a possible thread. I have to admit I like sarcasm when it's funny and not biting. I'm also guilty of "mocking" at times, though I do try to avoid it.

Proverbs 15:13 A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
Proverbs 15:15 All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

I've had friends who have "expressed love" by insults. The reason I didn't get offended because of how it was delivered. Then, there are those who can say, "I love you" and I go away feeling insulted.

So, I ask, who is privy to Scriptural use of humour (serious question)?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Beth

First let's look at a definition of sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster's 1828 Dictionary [K-Z

sarcasm
S'ARCASM, n. l. sarcasmus; Gr. from to deride or sneer at, primarily to fly or pluck off the skin.

A keen reproachful expression; a satirical remark or expression, uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe. Of this we have an example in the remark of the Jews respecting Christ, on the cross, "He saved others, himself he cannot save."
I don't think this means we can't have a sense of humor and try to lighting things up a little from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave's Topical Bible

SARCASM
INSTANCES OF

Cain's self-justifying argument when God asked him where Abel was
Ge 4:9

Israelites reproaching Moses
Ex 14:11

God reproaching Israel
Nu 11:20; Jg 10:14

Balak reproaching Balaam
Nu 24:11

Joshua to the descendants of Joseph
Jos 17:15

By Jotham
Jg 9:7-19

By Samson
Jg 14:18

The men of Jabesh to Nahash
1Sa 11:10

Eliab to David
1Sa 17:28

Elijah to the priests of Baal
1Ki 18:27

David's reply to Michal's irony
2Sa 6:21

Ahab's reply to Ben-hadad
1Ki 20:11

Jehoash to Amaziah
2Ki 14:9-10; 2Ch 25:18-19

Rabshakeh to Hezekiah
2Ki 18:23-24

Sanballat's address to the army of Samaria
Ne 4:2-3

Zophar to Job
Job 11:12

Job to Zophar
Job 12:2-3

Of Solomon
Pr 26:16

The persecutors of Jesus
Mt 27:28-29; Lu 23:11; Joh 19:2-3,5,15

Paul
1Ti 4:7

Herod Agrippa II to Paul
Ac 26:28
Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Forum Administrator

My favorite instance of sarcasm in the Bible:
John 10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Pastor Mikie

The intention as to weather to hurt, correct or just have fun might be at issue in regards to sarcasm. My wife say I'm "nuts, but screwed on the right bolt". That seems endearing.

Jesus used sarcasm to make a point (John 10), and so did the prophet Micaiah in 1st Kings 22. I admit I use it while preaching, especially to show the folly of sinful practices that are being dumped on the public as "alternate lifestyles", "outcome based education" or "freedom of speech".
Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 AM
fundy

Mar 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Who can critical of the use of ( appropriate) sarcasm when the Lord himself applied it so effectively?

Fundy
Old 04-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Pastor Mikie

Sometimes it is the best way to point out faulty thinking. Religion has a way of turning thinking people into non-thinking people. In other words, traditions are more important than "thus saith the Lord".
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
jerry

I don't believe that was sarcasm used there - but either way, it was neither insulting nor mocking. It was used to teach the truth.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
fundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
I don't believe that was sarcasm used there - but either way, it was neither insulting nor mocking. It was used to teach the truth.
Hi Jerry,

Not that it is a big issue, but I believe the Lord was being sarcastic and insulting to the Pharisees in response to their question recorded in the previous verse,"..... How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?"

Jesus' reply is a very subtle put down of the Pharisees opinion of themselves as "non sinners" and their jugement of others as sinners.

To paraphrase, "why should I sit with you Pharisees as you are obviously already righteous and in no need of repentance"

Mar 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

What do you reckon?

Fundy
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Willie

Main Entry: sarcasm
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: mock
Synonyms: acrimony, aspersion, banter, bitterness, burlesque, causticness, censure, comeback, contempt, corrosiveness, criticism, cut*, cynicism, derision, dig*, disparagement, flouting, invective, irony, lampooning, mockery, mordancy, put-down*, raillery, rancor, ridicule, satire, scoffing, scorn, sharpness, sneering, superciliousness, wisecrack

Maybe there are degrees and types of sarcasm. Some acceptable, and some not.