Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 AM

Default Galatians 5:19-21

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

At first glance, these verses seem to tell me that I am not going to inherit the Kingdom of God.

After I have been saved, I have committed at least half of those works of the flesh mentioned above.

Can someone please help explain how this verse fits in with Eternal Security?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Bro. Luke, I see two types of "inheritance" in the "kingdom of God" for the Church Age saints.

1. Inheritance, which is a GIFT: The believer has already OBTAINED it.

Ephesians 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance
until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

2. Inheritance, which is a REWARD: The believer has to EARN it.

Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

I believe Galatians 5:19-21 refers to losing the "reward of the inheritance" in the kingdom of God.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 AM
look3467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

At first glance, these verses seem to tell me that I am not going to inherit the Kingdom of God.

After I have been saved, I have committed at least half of those works of the flesh mentioned above.

Can someone please help explain how this verse fits in with Eternal Security?
There are no "loop holes" by which we may want to skate by.

The purchase of your soul has been accomplished by God in Jesus.

The conforming of your flesh to that of Christs, that is, to bring your body under subjection to that of what Christ was like and is, is your on going duty.

How well you do that, is up to you.

Rewards is good and consequences if not, you decide.

If salvation were left up to us alone, than you can kiss your body goodbye!

Decide what you want to do rather than what you have to do for the Lord and you will see that He will cleanse you out from within.

Peace>>>AJ
Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 AM

Notice here in Gal. 5 that these are works of the flesh. Your flesh shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Now cross reference this with I Cor. 6:9-11.

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Notice here the works are not named, but rather the person or the unrighteous. This is God's view of you before you got in His Son. Now the new you shows up in verse 11. Beloved, now are we the sons of God...

If you can grasp this truth (your not the person anymore, though you can commit the work), carefully read Eph. 5:3-11. Notice now the distinction between you the saint, the child of light, and the children of disobedience. You see the works show up again in verse 11.

Other related passages would be Col. 3:5-... and Rom. 7:17-25.

P.S. An good understanding of this truth will clear up the false teaching surrounding verses like Rev. 21:8.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
look3467

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
Notice here in Gal. 5 that these are works of the flesh. Your flesh shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Now cross reference this with I Cor. 6:9-11.

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Notice here the works are not named, but rather the person or the unrighteous. This is God's view of you before you got in His Son. Now the new you shows up in verse 11. Beloved, now are we the sons of God...

If you can grasp this truth (your not the person anymore, though you can commit the work), carefully read Eph. 5:3-11. Notice now the distinction between you the saint, the child of light, and the children of disobedience. You see the works show up again in verse 11.

Other related passages would be Col. 3:5-... and Rom. 7:17-25.

P.S. An good understanding of this truth will clear up the false teaching surrounding verses like Rev. 21:8.

I conquer!

Peace>>>AJ