Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

So show me how that verse is misapplied, or more accurately, answer me this:

Can you question someone's legitimacy and expect that person to not take offense?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 AM
fundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
So show me how that verse is misapplied, or more accurately, answer me this:

Can you question someone's legitimacy and expect that person to not take offense?

Paladin, you seem intent on turning this into an argument...I am not interested.

To answer the first part of your post, please refer to Jeff's post (#18) which I feel answers the question of the misapplication.

In answer to the second part of your post....yes. For your understanding, I will expand on that and explain a little more fully.

If you look in any dictionary and you will find the following ( or similar)

bastard
3 entries found.

bastard[1,noun]bastard[2,adjective]bastard wing

Main Entry: 1bas·tard
Pronunciation: \ˈbas-tərd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, probably of Germanic origin; akin to OldFrisian bost marriage, Old English bindan to bind
Date: 14th century
1: an illegitimate child
2: something that is spurious, irregular, inferior, or of questionable origin
3 a: an offensive or disagreeable person —used as a generalized term of abuse b: man, fellow
— bas·tard·ly adjective

Now, as I said in an earlier post, the tone of voice, body language and time and place of use of this word ( insult) determines the response you can expect. For example upon meeting a friend you can say "G'day you fat ugly bastard" and expect a simliar friendly type of insult in return.
Winding down the window of your car and greeting the traffic cop in this manner is not a good idea....unless he is one of your friends.

This is an extreme example and is not intended to suggest that all Australians go around insulting each other to this degree..but many do, quite happily.

The fact remains that friendly jibes and insults are an accepted way of communicating affection and acceptance in this country. I'm sorry if you cannot accept or understand this.

While sin is rampant in Australia, your ignorance of methods used in friendly communication within ANY culture, not just mine, do not make them sinful in and of themselves.

fundy

Last edited by fundy; 04-03-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Your response #20 seems that it is you who wishes to debate.

You call me ignorant, but you assume that I am without a sense of humor, and that I think jokes are bad. That is ignorant. You don't know me.

Jokes =/ insults, and i never said anything like it.

I'm struggling to remember, did Paul ever tell us to uplift each other by telling us to degrade men made in the image of God?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
fundy

Quote:
Your response #20 seems that it is you who wishes to debate.

You call me ignorant, but you assume that I am without a sense of humor, and that I think jokes are bad. That is ignorant. You don't know me.

Jokes =/ insults, and i never said anything like it.

I'm struggling to remember, did Paul ever tell us to uplift each other by telling us to degrade men made in the image of God?
It seems that the men that I grew up around, served in the army with, hunt with and serve the Lord with today are a little more robust in their sensitivities than you are, Paladin.

You think differently to me, have a different sense of humour to me and know nothing of the culture that I come from.Thats OK, as I said, that is of no consequence to me. You are a Christain, that all that really matters to me.

Mar 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbade him, because he followeth not us.
Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
Mar 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

fundy
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Interesting, if you believe that there is nothing wrong with degrading someone made in the image of God, so be it.

However, excellent scripture quotations to end an argument.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 AM
fundy

Quote:

You are right Paladin,as you said, I dont know you, but I now know a little more about you than when we first started this discussion.

I made the assumption that I was talking to a man of similar age to myself. A man who, due to his life experiences should be able to take on board, in a mature way, the explanations given to him of the customs and habits of people who live in a country different to his own.

After looking up some of your other posts and learning that you are only 17 years of age and still at school, I am now of a better understanding as to your inability and unwillingness to try and understand these explanations, and as such apologise for being a little rough with you in some instances.

My advice to you is that you should not take the attitude that you have displayed here to a face to face discussion with a man nearly 3 times your age. You do not yet have the experience nor the maturity to criticise or judge ANYTHING in the way that you have in this thread. Give an opinion , by all means, ask questions and ask for explanations...but do not judge that which you do not understand.

Lev 19:32 Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honor the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.

Fundy
Old 04-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Are you sure that you have reached this conclusion because you are mature and understand the ways of the world, or are you unwilling to go against the culture you live in?

We insult each other in America, also, it is common for friends to call each other "gay", or anything else that now refers to one's homosexuality, and we are not supposed to take offense, because it is all done in friendliness.

James thought it was important to write a chapter of an epistle on this matter, James 3.

"8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. "
Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
fundy

Paladin,You are stuck in your non understanding of the responses already given you on this issue.

As you get older you will understand more readily that which is confusing now.

1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

FUNDY
Old 04-06-2008, 03:23 AM
browilder61

I have to keep that in mind. I'm in the Army and I work with people from all kinds of different walks of life, and I heard from another pastor in TX, that one thing to do to win more people is to be friendlier. One thing that characterized the life of Jesus in dealing with sinners is that he was friendly. He had a reputation of being friends with publicans and sinners. He had that reputation because he spent time with them and was friendly to them. Another thing he pointed out is that Paul was gentle with the Thessalonians, and they were dear to him, and he imparted his very soul to them ( 1 Thess.2:7-8) and he loved them more with time ( 2 Cor 12:15). The Bible doesn't have to be used as a weapon, which it is a hammer (Jer 23:29) and a sword (Heb 4:12) It is also honey(Ps 19:10) , bread(Matt 4:4) , apples(Prov 25:11),milk(1 Pet 2:2) and meat(Heb 5: 12-14).
Old 04-06-2008, 12:36 PM

You have yet to answer my question:

Are you okay with insulting a man, made in the image of God, and questioning his legitimacy only because a culture accepts it?