Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Mysticism and Music

Quote:
Do you wonder why yoga, labyrinths and other meditational practices have suddenly emerged in churches across America? Or why "Christians" now use the old occult formulas (a combination of concentration, meditation, visualization and mental projection) practiced by sorcerers, alchemists and "enlightened" yogis to invoke the presence of "God"?
To read the entire article, click here:
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/007/global-mind-1.htm

Mysticism is not new to the church; the Pentecostals and Charasmatics have been into it for years. The evangelicals, conservatives and fundamentalists are now embracing it as they incorporate these practices that were formerly known only in Catholic circles. I believe this mysticism (New Age, Eastern, occult) is one of the glues that will bind the coming one world religion. Music has become one of the most divisive issues in the church today and my concern is this new music that is taking over the churches enhances a mystical attitude. Music is the universal language and my personal opinion is that it can affect dispositions, emotions, attitudes and such and influence people to be more receptive to the mystical. What better way for Satan to creep into a church. Has anyone else thought about this or done any research on the mystical – music connection?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Default Music

A reformed theologian, I think it was Michael Horton, noted that from the time of the reformation until some time in the 1800's music focused on historical facts of Christianity. Then the focus changed to feelings about those historical facts. This was a transition from centering on Christ and his work to ourselves. I would add to that progression by saying that most of the traditional hymns seem to me to be acknowledging Christianity as real and most of the contemporary Christian music seems to be promoting Christianity as if the reality of it is established by our psychological effort. This transition to "sales pitch communication" is something I see as extremely bad. Reality stands on it's own and is recognized by realistic people, only what is fake needs to be promoted.
I think mysticism is an attempt to create reality in the mind instead of living in God's reality where He is in control. Only God can create reality by thinking and speaking.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A reformed theologian, I think it was Michael Horton, noted that from the time of the reformation until some time in the 1800's music focused on historical facts of Christianity. Then the focus changed to feelings about those historical facts. This was a transition from centering on Christ and his work to ourselves. I would add to that progression by saying that most of the traditional hymns seem to me to be acknowledging Christianity as real and most of the contemporary Christian music seems to be promoting Christianity as if the reality of it is established by our psychological effort. This transition to "sales pitch communication" is something I see as extremely bad. Reality stands on it's own and is recognized by realistic people, only what is fake needs to be promoted.
I think mysticism is an attempt to create reality in the mind instead of living in God's reality where He is in control. Only God can create reality by thinking and speaking.
Yep, you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Modern "worship" is nothing but self glorifying strange fire. There is no Spirit of God in it, but only a carnal self serving spirit which bases the worth of something on the feelings one gets out of it. I had a hard time giving up this "strange fire" myself, since I grew up around this sort of rock n roll worship. Suffice it to say, I've had no luck exposing the errors of this New Age worship to others. People don't want the truth, they want to feel good. They want a physical metric on their closeness to God, and in the end what they get is religion in disguise.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 AM

I once heard someone speaking about how all the old Hymns were written in the speach, language, and intellect of the time, and that is what is going on today.
If that be the case, we are in big trouble.
The Hymns of old were written with teaching and edification in mind. They were written purposley with theology and doctrine in mind.
At the time they were written, thought was much deeper than it is today, some were even written over a period of years. After going through much hardship.
Contemporary "worship" music shows just how far we are declining.
Theology is a bad word, and all theologians are tools of Satan, so get rid of that.
Doctrine is too devisive, so that too is bad, get rid of that.
What are we left with? Shallowness of spirit, thought and love of God.
The Book warns us things will get progressivley worse before the return of the Lord not better.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 PM

My ex-wife, of 20 years was into that type of religion. I question is it love of God - or love of what is perceived to be God.

It has given me a very critical eye which I don't really like, but seems to be unshakable, even after almost another 27 years.

I experienced seeing "talking in tongues", "Slaying in the spirit", "invading demons" which I never saw, "Lines being drawn" which you were not to cross. "Prayer cloths" placed in my telephone, so I could not receive any bad calls. The problem was, you could not receive any sort of call.

Music was it seemed, to be the catalyst for the falling of the Spirit. So been there, and seen that, just haven't partaken of it.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM

Default Rock 'n' Roll Origins

Because a lot of our Christian music is Rock with Christian lyrics I think it is necessary to consider how Rock got it's start. Back in the days when slaves were brought from Africa and forced to work for "Christian" masters, the slave owners wanted to convert the slaves to Christianity. In order for the slaves to continue their pagan religious worship without knowledge of their owners, or, sometimes employers, they put christian lyrics to the music of their traditional pagan religion. This allowed the Blacks and Creoles to worship their gods while the "Big Boss Man" thought they had been converted to Christianity. A similar thing was done by Voo Doo worshippers in Catholic Carribean areas where the Voo Doo natives obediently went to Catholic worship services and covertly worshipped the Catholic statues of saints as their voo doo spirits. This is why Haiti is said to be 90% Catholic and 100% Voo Doo.
In Rock music the lyrics are often a negligble part of the listening experience and sometimes not even discernable. I've looked in sheet music several times to find out the lyrics of a favorite song I heard on the radio.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM

For an interesting study on music, go to the below link (yeah, yeah I know some of you don't like links) and click on "Hymnspiration".

http://www.biblebc.com/ForPreachers/various_studies.htm
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 AM

Default Music

I once heard a preacher say, " If you can dance to it, it ain't Christian.
I think he was pretty much right
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I think he was pretty much right
Why is that right? Does God not find honor in our dancing for Him?

And it was so, that when they that bare the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed oxen and fatlings. And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod. So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet. (2 Samuel 6:13-15 KJV)

Is it wrong to dance in the joy of our Salvation?

We Christians sure do like to add weight to that yoke Christ gave us.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I think he was pretty much right.
I tend to agree with that statement. However, as brother Stephanos pointed out, there are certainly occasions deserving of a dance or a jump or a shout for the glory of God:

Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... 4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance...

I don't think what that preacher said was directed at those times though, it was directed at the carnal desires of the flesh to move to the rythym or beat of the music.