Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
A more reasonable question would be

"What Biblical evidence is there for observing ANY Sabbath day, whether the sixth or seventh day, or any other holyday, by the New Testament Christian".
Luke, I had a book contained the observances of one of the early philosopher/historians, I don't remember if it was Josephus or not but they made reference to early Christians rising on the first day of the week(Sunday) before they went to work, and gathering to sing hymms to Chrestus(Christ) who they worshipped as a God and was God.

I used to order books from a Bride Baptist church in Texas, a rather large one, who used this historical record and the passage in Hebrews to justify a Sunday "sabbath"

Excellent observation of yours too.

Grace and peace brother

Tony
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Justin Martyr.. he refers to it as the First day and the Eighth day
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Justin Martyr.. he refers to it as the First day and the Eighth day
Thanks brother, I had this little book printed in England in like 1890 had all these quotations by the early historians and folks about the early church. One was a treatise aginst Christians by some Roman somebody or other accusing Christians of being atheists! Why? We don't have a "godshelf", a place in homes for little idols of Jupiter, Hera, Venus, Mars, etc. Of course the "gods" of Imperial Rome has been replaced by "saint's.

I live about 8 miles from a Hindu temple, they let you come inside and everything. The main area inside has a ledge up by the ceiling that goes around the interior of the building. I made a fair estimate of 3000 little statues of different gods, one of the worshipers told me there were 3400 of them.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 05-28-2009, 04:59 AM

Hindu's have 1 million gods they worship. that was an estimate from a missionary who lives there but the info was from the 1980's
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Hindu's have 1 million gods they worship. that was an estimate from a missionary who lives there but the info was from the 1980's
Chette, a professor of comparative religions at a local university in the same city as this temple I wrote of was a worshiper at this temple and a man I knew before he returned to India, he told me the official tally is in the region of 330 million, mostly regional and minor deities that are added or subtracted in the same manner as regional "saints" within Romanism. Hinduism is where we get evolution from as lower to higher to back down lower again is merely Hinduism and not science.

Grace and peace brother

Tony
Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 AM

wow that really is a lot of gods
Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
wow that really is a lot of gods
If you examine the precepts of Mormonism as one example, you find that the majority of the Hindu "gods" are merely exalted humans, as does Mormonism. Hinduism is a spiritual pyramid with Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva being the primary three, and they are three separate gods. The gods below them are in a constant state of progression as in Mormonism. This belief is the primary root of the caste system in India of 4 groups, the bottom being a group known as "the untouchables". Literally, these people are shunned and avoided and it is forbidden to come into physical contact with them. This man I knew, though pretty enlightened as far as an educated man in engineering(he attended the college I mentioned that is by this temple)told me, "I'd rather drink the urine of a dog and eat the dung of a water buffalo than touch one of these people or be in the same room with one for that matter..." Hindus have no problem with evolution as it's the foundational practice of their religion, lower to higher. Humans are doomed to leterally millions of lives being reincarnated into something better if they are "good" and knocked back on the ladder if they are "bad".

Hinduism is an all-inclusive religion and it's hard to witness one single God to them, as they accept Jesus Christ as just another one of the 330 million.

Grace and peace to you

Tony