Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Quote:
Yes, God said He would preserve His Word's through every generation. I believe Him. Once the cannon was complete, the Bible has been preserved through the many faithful that copied the mss.
Are you saying that it was not preserved until the canon was completed?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesundayschoollessons View Post
Are you saying that it was not preserved until the canon was completed?
No. I'm saying that the completed cannon was preserved just as we have it in our KJB. Before that God's Word's were preserved as progressed.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:14 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Okay.

Then, how do you expain "from this generation forever" in Psalm 12? The preposition "from" indicates a starting point.

My point is simply that if this is a preservation proof text, then why is there clearly a starting point with David? There were plenty of preserved copies from Job (as the first author).
Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Beth

Quote:
Okay.

Then, how do you expain "from this generation forever" in Psalm 12? The preposition "from" indicates a starting point.

My point is simply that if this is a preservation proof text, then why is there clearly a starting point with David? There were plenty of preserved copies from Job (as the first author).
Maybe I'm just not getting your view of preservation? I just believe that all of God's revelations to man have been preserved. For instance we have the revelations made to Moses preserved and Abraham...... ending with the inspired writings of the Apostles. and we are warned not to add to or take away from God's Word. It's that simple for me. Amen.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Well...it has been 12 hours and no one has given even one bible verse/passage that proves that the KJV is the only Bible we should use today.
It has been twelve hours -- have you stopped beating your wife?

Seriously, this kind of juvenile sophistry is bordering on the obnoxious. You have presented a straw man and demand we defend it and will no doubt claim victory if we do not do so.

As for your promise to "disprove" KJV-onlism (or whatever), just get to it and make your point. If you want to bait people and ask leading questions, go somewhere else.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Quote:
Maybe I'm just not getting your view of preservation? I just believe that all of God's revelations to man have been preserved. For instance we have the revelations made to Moses preserved and Abraham...... ending with the inspired writings of the Apostles. and we are warned not to add to or take away from God's Word. It's that simple for me. Amen.
Apparently we agree about preservation. My question is how do you use Psalm 12.7 to support preservation when it says "FROM this generation forever." If this is your preservation proof text, then the language certainly eliminates preservation BEFORE David composed this Psalm.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Quote:
It has been twelve hours -- have you stopped beating your wife?
I haven't started :-)

Quote:
Seriously, this kind of juvenile sophistry is bordering on the obnoxious. You have presented a straw man and demand we defend it and will no doubt claim victory if we do not do so. As for your promise to "disprove" KJV-onlism (or whatever), just get to it and make your point.
"Straw Man?" What is the "straw man?" I think it is a simple question. If your position is biblically derived, then we should expect to see biblical proof that the King James can be the only Word of God today.

Since you are the Forum Administrator, I will do what you say and "make my point" First, I have to invoice a couple of my clients...
Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Forum Administrator

For the sake of people browsing the forum who may be inclined to accept FSSL's straw man argument as a reason to reject holding to a single standard (as in the KJV), I offer this:
Isaiah 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.
FSSL has not once offered any of us an alternative to the KJV as "the book of the Lord." To seek out the book of the Lord is not merely a prerogative of God's people, it is commanded of them.

FSSL's question -- what verse proves that we can only use the KJV -- proceeds from a false presumption that anyone claims such a verse exists, or that if we can not find the KJV referred to in Scripture by name, we can not accept it as final.

The real issue is: where is the book of the Lord? FSSL does not know -- has has admitted to having multiple sources of authority, all of which are contradictory. Accepting multiple conflicting authorities is not an option for a Christian desiring to be in submission to God's word.

The whole point of www.av1611.com is to show why the KJV can be held to as "the book of the Lord" and to show why other translations are wholly unworthy of the title.

So, the question is not "can you prove the KJV is God's word without error," but "if not the KJV, then where do I find the book of the Lord, so that I may read it?"
Old 05-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Beth

Quote:
Apparently we agree about preservation. My question is how do you use Psalm 12.7 to support preservation when it says "FROM this generation forever." If this is your preservation proof text, then the language certainly eliminates preservation BEFORE David composed this Psalm.
Ok, now I see what you are saying. Although, I still don't get it.

Don't you believe that all of the revelations of God made to man written down before the time of David were considered the Word's of God that would be preserved from that generation and forever, along with the future revelations of God?

I see what Brandon is saying also. We could go on like this.... well forever and never come to any resolution.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
For the sake of people browsing the forum who may be inclined to accept FSSL's straw man argument as a reason to reject holding to a single standard (as in the KJV), I offer this:
Isaiah 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.
FSSL has not once offered any of us an alternative to the KJV as "the book of the Lord." To seek out the book of the Lord is not merely a prerogative of God's people, it is commanded of them.

FSSL's question -- what verse proves that we can only use the KJV -- proceeds from a false presumption that anyone claims such a verse exists, or that if we can not find the KJV referred to in Scripture by name, we can not accept it as final.

The real issue is: where is the book of the Lord? FSSL does not know -- has has admitted to having multiple sources of authority, all of which are contradictory. Accepting multiple conflicting authorities is not an option for a Christian desiring to be in submission to God's word.

The whole point of www.av1611.com is to show why the KJV can be held to as "the book of the Lord" and to show why other translations are wholly unworthy of the title.

So, the question is not "can you prove the KJV is God's word without error," but "if not the KJV, then where do I find the book of the Lord, so that I may read it?"
Amen!! Thank you for that!!