General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
joshjefflawn

Default I get so tired.....

I have just recently found a site called the Baptist board, it seems like a good board and I'm new so I don't know it that well.
But they have a section dedicated to Bible Versions. In that they say that you can't get into KJO contravercies, and you can't refer to the new Versions as perversions or satanic.
I just got to say that I am so tired of weak easily offended Christians. So what if someone calls the NIV corrupt, is it, when they take out Lucifer and replace it with Morning Star isn't that corrupting the Word of God,or when they take out Lord 39-40 times isn't that perverting the text.
I know this may seem a little harsh but I just don't get Christians that don't have backbones. If you want to call the AV "king Jimmys Bible" or whatever, go ahead call it what ever you wan't, I won't have to stand before God for what you say.
Also I know there are some who say that if you read another version, you can't get saved. Well I definently don't believe that, I mean even a good gospel track contains enough scripture to get saved. Course there is more to the Christian life than just getting saved, if you would rather have a bean bag instead of a Sharp two eged Sword, its your neck not mine.
I'm not aming this at anyone inpaticular, its just this Laodicean attitude, week
Christians were if the preacher preaches to hard a sermon they don't come back for a month or two.
I tell you what, I'd much rather let a Good preacher preach the hell out of me here on earth, than to have God do it at the Judgment Seat of Christ.
Well that is all, I hope all have a good day,
Josh
Oh and again, I'm not aming this at any one person, but if the shoe fits, wear it.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Just last night, my father and I hosted a missionary couple and when they heard that I was "one of them", they responded that "That controversy is useless because the only correct translations are in the original Greek and Hebrew" And after I told him that his argument had no basis and that I had defeated it before, the conversation ended.

They just plain didn't care.

NIV, 64,000 words < KJB

Nobody cares??
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
rbratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
Just last night, my father and I hosted a missionary couple and when they heard that I was "one of them", they responded that "That controversy is useless because the only correct translations are in the original Greek and Hebrew" And after I told him that his argument had no basis and that I had defeated it before, the conversation ended.

They just plain didn't care.
Ok, forgive my ignorance please. If there are no "originals" where did the KJV get its translation from? And it seems to me (outsider looking in, but looking for the truth) that you use the same argument for the KJV. You say nothing is valid unless it comes from the KJV. But that can not be because there had to be the "perfect inspired Word of god" before the KJV to translate it into the KJV, right? So are you saying the Greek and latin translations are imperfect? If that is the case, then how can the KJV be "perfect" if there are no "originals" to compare it to?

The more I read on here, the less I understand. I guess I will stick to reading my Bible (KJV/NIV parallel btw) and find my own answers as it looks like none of my posts will get to see the actual boards.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 AM

There are many learned brothers on the subject who I am sure in due time will answer your question on the originals. To start of though, may I say that God inspired the prophet Jeremiah to write what he told him, then the "Original" was destroyed by the King by Fire, God then told Jeremiah to re-write the original so essentially this was a "copy", yet also "inspired".
There really is a lot to take into consideration on the subject like the history of the origins on the text, the history of the translations and the translators, all of which pointed me in the direction of the truth, that modern "versions" are made to appease those who disagree with God's word and don't want to have to look at a Bible that glaringly tells them so everyday.
May I ask you this, Do you believe that the Bible should have contradictions ?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 AM

rbratt,
If you are sincerely seeking truth about the KJB over modern versions, then you will do two things:
1 ) For your concerns about variations, continue reading your Bible, noting especially the places where the NIV differs from the KJB in meaning or by omission, and ask yourself why.
2 ) For your concerns about the history behind the KJB, read a good book that covers this topic. Here is an excellent book to start. http://av1611.com/kjbp/books/review-cwg.html
Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
rbratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
May I ask you this, Do you believe that the Bible should have contradictions ?

Personally I don't think the Bible contradicts itself. It seems to me that if you read the context and get the full meaning that it becomes clear what was stated. ??
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbratt View Post
Ok, forgive my ignorance please. If there are no "originals" where did the KJV get its translation from? And it seems to me (outsider looking in, but looking for the truth) that you use the same argument for the KJV. You say nothing is valid unless it comes from the KJV. But that can not be because there had to be the "perfect inspired Word of god" before the KJV to translate it into the KJV, right? So are you saying the Greek and latin translations are imperfect? If that is the case, then how can the KJV be "perfect" if there are no "originals" to compare it to?

The more I read on here, the less I understand. I guess I will stick to reading my Bible (KJV/NIV parallel btw) and find my own answers as it looks like none of my posts will get to see the actual boards.
The "original" or first manuscripts [called the Traditional or Majority text] were passed around and worn-out beyond recognition. There are no original copies.

However, original copies of the "Alexandrian manuscripts" [man's attempt to improve on the originals] were found because the early church rejected them. Original copies of this corrupted work were found because they set on a shelf, unread, and rejected by the born-again believers. The "Traditional or Majority Text", on the other hand, were received by the true believers. Copies, of copies, of copies, of copies were made because believers were hungry for the Word of God.

But didn't men make mistakes when they copied the originals and then recopied them again and again? This is where we must believe, and accept, the power and sovereignty of God, the Almighty. The issue is one of preservation. Is God able to preserve His Written Word of Truth?

“The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever” (Psalm 12:6–7).

For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven” (Psalm 119:89).

“Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away” (Matthew 24:35; Mark 13:31; Luke 21:33).

“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever” (Isaiah 40:8).

How can we ever proclaim and teach the true meaning of Scripture without first believing God has preserved every Word?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
rbratt

Certain members of this community have already basically called me the Devil because I have real questions and am not afraid to ask them here.

My problems and concerns are valid FOR ME, and is why I am here asking. I don't think I have said anything derogatory about the KJV of the Bible. And you won't unless I really mis-word something badly.

Quote:
How can we ever proclaim and teach the true meaning of Scripture without first believing God has preserved every Word?
Ok, there is a good starting point. What is the true menaing of the Scripture? The message of salvation, right? So what difference does it make if I think Jonas was swallowed by a whale or a fish? I believe he was swallowed, and in the belly for three days. I believe God accomplished His works the way he said. Lets start with this and I will try to go from there. Maybe I started out with too many questions at first. This seems to be the heart of the matter for me.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbratt View Post
Ok, there is a good starting point. What is the true menaing of the Scripture? The message of salvation, right? So what difference does it make if I think Jonas was swallowed by a whale or a fish? I believe he was swallowed, and in the belly for three days.
I'm using the word Scripture to include all Scripture. "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him" (Proverbs 30:5).

In my opinion, the message of Jesus Christ is the central theme of the Bible. Redemption and salvation for all who believe, and a clear declaration of Jesus Christ's preeminence in all things. In other words, it begins, continues, and ends with Jesus Christ. Not just initial salvation, but the entire Christian life.

At this point, I really want to encourage you to, with open heart and mind, search out some of the subtle differences between the KJV and other versions and allow God the Holy Spirit to persuade you. I know He will as you continue to seek the truth. God will show you the truth in this matter.

A good start is:

http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/various.html

http://av1611.com/kjbp/faq.html

I'm not trying to avoid ongoing conversation and study. I know there are better and more adequate resources to help you resolve this issue, than me.

By the way...

"Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights" (Jonah 1:17).

"For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Matthew 12:40).

It is important and matters because God said it.

Last edited by Forrest; 09-03-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Rbratt,

The Word of God is a person, and the word of God is written scriptures. the one is a person of the Godhead the other is the scriptures to gives us light in this world during the absence of Jesus Christ. 1John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. King James Version is one of the only two versions that carries this verse, the newer NKJV now has that verse in place. Also he gives every believer the Holy Ghost, another person of the Godhead, to help them learn the scriptures John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. If Scriptures are difficult to understand it could be your flesh, the world, the Devil, or you are not a true beleiver and have not been given the Holy Ghost. Iam not saying you are not a true beleiver. But sometimes people have beleived the wrong thing or did some form of work and therefore don't have the Holy Ghost because he is only given to those whom have beleived on Christ by Grace through faith apart from any works. Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Scriptures are written manuscripts placed into one volume we know as the Holy Bible sometimes refered to as His word, Gods word and the word and others forms of these. these scriptres are not the originals by any stretch. No one in our day as far back as the year 300 has ever seen an original New Testament document, and no one as far back as Judges ever saw an original Old Testament. all they had and all we have are are copies and fragments of copies.

we beleive however that God being true to his word will preserve all his word in its entirety. that is all his promises to judge the wicked, bless the righteous and give us life and blessing in Christ Jesus. Jeremiah 36:23 And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth. Here we have a man cutting out a pages from a Bible most likely a copy and burning them. but we still have that pages in our Bibles today. this was done by God in some way preserving the scriputres so that our Bibles are complete and whole.

the only book that has not had scriptures changed, added or removed. the only Holy Bible that has faithfully translated and transliterated when necessary, the only Holy Bible that has been honest enough to show us where words were added so the translation would be clear. Is the King James Authorized Version of 1611 and it's edited versions that followed.

I am not a versed on the subject but George is and on his site www.thywordistruthkjv.com i think that's the name, he has some information on the scriptures you can read.

Blessings.

Last edited by chette777; 09-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.