Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican View Post
? What is Doc's Study Bible?
Dr. Ruckman is producing a study Bible. I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Dr. Ruckman is producing a study Bible. I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation.
I gotcha! OK, I was scratching my head, thinking, "Wait, who is is Doc?" Brethren, a side effect of smoking cessation is not putting 2+2 together very fast...you good people shall have to bear with me for the next week or so in this regard.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican View Post
I gotcha! OK, I was scratching my head, thinking, "Wait, who is is Doc?" Brethren, a side effect of smoking cessation is not putting 2+2 together very fast...you good people shall have to bear with me for the next week or so in this regard.
Hey brother, I'm just glad to hear that you're quitting.

*listens to a recording of Michael Savage*
Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 PM

MC,

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it also, but he keeps backing up the date it's coming out. I have a post on here about the Ruckman Reference Bible. It is going to be put out in Jan. 2009 the last time I talked to them, unless they have moved the date back again.

You should also check out the Scofield Bible, it's pretty good most of the time. Ruckman's Bible will be laid out like the Scofield. I think that is what they told me anyway. If you ever want a Scofield Bible get it from LBP, it's wonderful quality and a good price.

http://lcbplansing.org/Bibles/Study.htm

Atlas
Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican
Good? Bad? Ugly? I have heard both sides. To be honest, I have not made up my mind, I have a nice edition of the Old Scofield, I don't know if it is sound I have heard that only some of the Epistles apply to Christians. Some call him heretic some call him a saint. A number of you seem to know a good deal more than me on his work, so with this preface, I am going to just take in input from you guys (I will probably only "chime in" to as a question, or to ask that a point be clarified. ) Help out a confused Anglican on this matter. Grace and Peace.
I have always preferred to use a plain, wide-margin King James Bible, where I have plenty of room for my own notes. In recent years, however, I have found it expedient to use a large-print Bible, and I use an Old Scofield. (The "New Scofield" is not a King James Bible.) It's probably the best study Bible there is, although Scofield does miss the mark in a few places. I rarely consult his footnotes any more, but his cross-references are far better than what you often find in a "plain" Bible, and about 85% of his notes are sound. I'd recommend it to a new Christian. Scofield and Clarence Larkin have done more to help Christians "rightly divide the word of truth" than anybody else. By the way, in his declining years, Dwight L. Moody chose Scofield to be his pastor.

People hate Scofield these days, and there are all sorts of lies flying around the Internet about him; it kinda reminds me of another preacher I could name. I think there are two reasons for this. Christians tend to be lazy, and rightly dividing is hard work; why waste time with all that "study" when you can live your life on the Rick Warren 40-Day Plan? In addition, the entire subject of dispensations is unpopular, because it tends to center in the Second Advent: and most people, including too many Christians, really don't want Jesus to come back. The pagans know judgment is coming, and the Christians are fat and happy with their old friend, Mammon.

For decades, nearly every preacher in America had two books tucked away in his desk drawer: an Old Scofield Bible, and Larkin's Dispensational Truth. Nowadays, those books have been replaced by The Prayer of Jabez and Joel Osteen's latest bestseller. The church is in terrible shape.....

I realize, dear brother, that dispensationalism isn't exactly the hallmark of the Reformed Episcopal Church! (My former father-in-law was an RE guy.) But I trust that, if we all stay humble and teachable, we can learn from one another. And you'd be surprised how often Calvinists and the notorious Ruckmanites agree - - -although they'd never admit it! For example, John Calvin taught, and Ruckman teaches, that the Antichrist will be possessed by the spirit of Judas Iscariot! That's an insight that has somehow escaped the attention of 99% of the "prophetic teachers" in the church.

Amidst all the lies and innuendo, here are some pretty "fair and balanced" sites about Scofield: just the facts, none of the controversy.

http://chi.gospelcom.net/DAILYF/2002...-24-2002.shtml
http://www.swordofthelord.com/biogra...ScofieldCI.htm
http://www.gospelcenterchurch.org/scofield.html
http://www.wholesomewords.org/biogra...pscofield.html

God bless you, brother!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 PM

But.. but.. Scofield was divorced! How can a divorced man be a pastor. Everything he said must be wrong....

Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM

Luke,

Quote:
But.. but.. Scofield was divorced! How can a divorced man be a pastor. Everything he said must be wrong....
Many IFB's hate Ruckman over this issue and use the Scofield Bible and will not use anything else. To bad they do not hold Scofield to the same standard as they do Ruckman. I always fnd this very odd, but this is how IFB's are.

My biggest issue with Scofield is found on page iv at the top where he talks about the RV and the the " minor inaccuracies " of the text.

I also have problem with his notes on 1 Cor. 2:13 page 1213 and him saying that the originals and not translation and versions. He also has a big problem on his Mark 16:9 notes. he never notes that Mark 16:9 page 1069 is listed in 618 other Greek text, he just notes they are not in the two oldest manuscripts.

Atlas
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
I have always preferred to use a plain, wide-margin King James Bible, where I have plenty of room for my own notes. In recent years, however, I have found it expedient to use a large-print Bible, and I use an Old Scofield. (The "New Scofield" is not a King James Bible.) It's probably the best study Bible there is, although Scofield does miss the mark in a few places. I rarely consult his footnotes any more, but his cross-references are far better than what you often find in a "plain" Bible, and about 85% of his notes are sound. I'd recommend it to a new Christian. Scofield and Clarence Larkin have done more to help Christians "rightly divide the word of truth" than anybody else. By the way, in his declining years, Dwight L. Moody chose Scofield to be his pastor.

People hate Scofield these days, and there are all sorts of lies flying around the Internet about him; it kinda reminds me of another preacher I could name. I think there are two reasons for this. Christians tend to be lazy, and rightly dividing is hard work; why waste time with all that "study" when you can live your life on the Rick Warren 40-Day Plan? In addition, the entire subject of dispensations is unpopular, because it tends to center in the Second Advent: and most people, including too many Christians, really don't want Jesus to come back. The pagans know judgment is coming, and the Christians are fat and happy with their old friend, Mammon.

For decades, nearly every preacher in America had two books tucked away in his desk drawer: an Old Scofield Bible, and Larkin's Dispensational Truth. Nowadays, those books have been replaced by The Prayer of Jabez and Joel Osteen's latest bestseller. The church is in terrible shape.....

I realize, dear brother, that dispensationalism isn't exactly the hallmark of the Reformed Episcopal Church! (My former father-in-law was an RE guy.) But I trust that, if we all stay humble and teachable, we can learn from one another. And you'd be surprised how often Calvinists and the notorious Ruckmanites agree - - -although they'd never admit it! For example, John Calvin taught, and Ruckman teaches, that the Antichrist will be possessed by the spirit of Judas Iscariot! That's an insight that has somehow escaped the attention of 99% of the "prophetic teachers" in the church.

Amidst all the lies and innuendo, here are some pretty "fair and balanced" sites about Scofield: just the facts, none of the controversy.

http://chi.gospelcom.net/DAILYF/2002...-24-2002.shtml
http://www.swordofthelord.com/biogra...ScofieldCI.htm
http://www.gospelcenterchurch.org/scofield.html
http://www.wholesomewords.org/biogra...pscofield.html

God bless you, brother!
Purpose Driven Scofield.....Hey, I think I will give Warren a ring and see if he wants a new project! (seriously, those are good links, the only one I have messed with much is wholesomewords, some good stuff.)
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Luke,

Many IFB's hate Ruckman over this issue and use the Scofield Bible and will not use anything else. To bad they do not hold Scofield to the same standard as they do Ruckman. I always fnd this very odd, but this is how IFB's are.
I was joking, referencing the exact same thing you just posted
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Luke,

Quote:
I was joking, referencing the exact same thing you just posted
I knew you were joking. If you ask an IFB about this issue they will get very very fast. I have ask a few, and it funny.

It's just so funny.

Atlas