Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Who was Peter talking to? why was he telling them to believe and be baptised in Jesus name? and who is it that beleives?
Quote:
Who was peter talking to?
Acts 2:5-10 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,"

I think you could safely say that Peter was talking to people from a great many nations, Jews and proselytes. Not only Jews and proselytes, but men simply dwelling there:

Acts 2:14 "But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:"

Quote:
Why was he telling them to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus?
1 Corinthians 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." (To me this shows that the baptism is a symbol of something that happens within a person)

Romans 6:3 "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?"

Paul was baptised:

Acts 22:16 "And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord."

Paul baptised, though this was not the work he was given by the Lord:

1 Corinthians 1:13-17 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. (This also hints that Paul is trying to make it clear that we are baptised in Christ Jesus' name.)

Concerning Jesus name:

I guess that one is simple. Because Jesus Christ is our Father's only begotten Son whom God raised from the dead in the flesh. Why would we be baptised in any other name when it is by Christ Jesus that we must be saved.

Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

I figured most of what I just wrote would be obvious to any student of the Scriptures, so I have to ask, what was the point in your questioning my response to Josh's post?

A brother in Christ Jesus,
Stephen